R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #2881
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Anyone have some tricks to prevent the P05 sway bar links from being lost/popped out during a crash? I was side lined on Saturday after losing a link..
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #2882
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
hi oleg- any update on the AM06S availability? i need to buy some other spares to get the car rolling again, and i'd rather put just one order in. thanks in advance. mike
Why not just take a standard AM06 and cut the bottom mount by 1.3mm?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #2883
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

Quote:
Anyone have some tricks to prevent the P05 sway bar links from being lost/popped out during a crash? I was side lined on Saturday after losing a link..
Cut little pieces servo wire insulation ,then CA it to the tips of the sway bar . That way if they pop out ,they will stay on the bar and not get lost.
Ray k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #2884
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray k View Post
Cut little pieces servo wire insulation ,then CA it to the tips of the sway bar . That way if they pop out ,they will stay on the bar and not get lost.
Good idea. Heat shrink tubing over the end of the bar helps as well.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #2885
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Add some new P04's to your shopping list ! If it pops out its likely to happen again.....

Jake D.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #2886
Tech Regular

Default Damper rates

Hi
Just want to know has anyone worked out what damper rate in cst rating when you move B on the dampers e.g 0mm is say 600 cst,and 7mm 350 cst,because at present its more feeling ,not a number value like the spring rating.
Thanks for any info
Old 01-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #2887
Tech Initiate

Hi,

I had run the car in 2 weekends and it is superb ! Best touring I ever have and l love it so much.

However, I found a problem and need expert advice:
The downstop collars P06 comes lose even though I repeatedly apply CA glue on it.
When it becomes losen setting downstop will be impossible....

How to solve this ?

Should this collor be in any other shapes but circular? For example, make it a square block then when you turn the hex screw the collor will not go together with the screw....Update parts may be?
Navi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #2888
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
Hi,

I had run the ...Update parts may be?
Hi Navi,

The same occured to me.
Your idea might be correct.

John
John Doucakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #2889
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
.... I found a problem and need expert advice:
The downstop collars P06 comes lose even though I repeatedly apply CA glue on it.
When it becomes losen setting downstop will be impossible....

How to solve this ?

Should this collor be in any other shapes but circular? For example, make it a square block then when you turn the hex screw the collor will not go together with the screw....Update parts may be?
Thank you for idea! We will make square blocks and holes for the next batch.

Now please use very thin fresh CA glue.
Make small chamfers in the holes on the chassis then press P06 into the hole first and drip a drop of glue in the gap (chamfer) between P06 and the wall of hole.
It is easy to drip glue when the bottom of chassis is upwards. The glue should fill all space between P06 and the wall of hole.
Oleg Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #2890
Tech Addict

Quote:
hi oleg- any update on the AM06S availability? i need to buy some other spares to get the car rolling again, and i'd rather put just one order in. thanks in advance. mike
I hope on this week already.
Oleg Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #2891
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Are there any A700 drivers that are attending the birds this year? Hopefully, I won't be the lone driver with an A700 at this event. I'm signed up for Touring amateur (A700 L) and USVTA (A700). Holla if you're going!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #2892
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
Well if they are the same config. as the stock hub, and they lower the center axles closer to the st03 ball, wouldn't that effect the CG
\
I doubt it'd affect the CG. It's probably targeted at roll center. The height of the axle on the outside is going to be defined by the tire. So reducing the distance from the axle to the lower ball would effectively raise the lower ball, giving you a more angled lower arm, and a lower roll center.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #2893
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok, understood . It lowers roll Center, but doesn't it also affect the rate of camber gain/loss ????
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #2894
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
I doubt it'd affect the CG. It's probably targeted at roll center. The height of the axle on the outside is going to be defined by the tire. So reducing the distance from the axle to the lower ball would effectively raise the lower ball, giving you a more angled lower arm, and a lower roll center.

-Mike
mike you are half right..I'm not concerning about the shim added or not or changing the location of the suspension geometric roll center ...I'm missing one Dim and it isn't shown on the pic..

By shorten the dim or shave off the ball end ,it will allow to increase higher roll center from moving the tire foot patch closer to center of the car...

Last edited by OVA; 01-14-2013 at 11:29 PM.
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #2895
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomster View Post
Hi
Just want to know has anyone worked out what damper rate in cst rating when you move B on the dampers e.g 0mm is say 600 cst,and 7mm 350 cst,because at present its more feeling ,not a number value like the spring rating.
Thanks for any info
I understand where you're coming from, it has, for me at least, been one of the more difficult things to understand with the car. It is about feeling, and this can take a while especially when you get no practice time.

What I did when I first got the car was to take the springs off my xray and reconnect the dampers. Did the same with the A700 by using tie wraps where the spring would be, connected a wheel, and observed how the suspension moved by dropping the wheel under its own weight, and finding an equivalent rate on the A700. Rather crude and unscientific but that's how I got a ballpark feel for where the damping was at.

I also did something similar with the anti roll bars to get an idea of equivalent roll stiffness.

It might be difficult to get equivalents with CST as dampers have different amounts of damping at different speeds, depending on their exact dimensions. There might be more high speed damping relative to low speed damping with smaller piston holes or smaller piston gap etc. Different brands of shocks will produce slightly different damping curves even with identical oil.

The damping curve has a big part to play in how the car reacts so I guess its a matter of playing with the settings to try to find the magic.

Last edited by hana166; 01-15-2013 at 04:25 AM.
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote