R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-17-2012, 03:33 AM   #2506
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Hello Oleg. Has the new car proven to be substantially much better than its 'parent' A700, or is the improvements marginal?
The main improvements:

1. New 2-piece dampers are more reliable, more convenient for use and with improved damping curve.

2. New "slotted" chassis with adjustable flex.

3. New convenient system of battery mounting.
4. More rigid AM03-1 "floating" motor mount with possibility of additional flex adjustment.
5. Improved AM10-1 Steering Plate for easy and reliable bearing's adjustment.
6. Improved AM01-1 Gear Boxes for more longer rear steering links and with improved system of upper arms mounting.
Oleg Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #2507
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Babich View Post
The main improvements:

1. New 2-piece dampers are more reliable, more convenient for use and with improved damping curve.

2. New "slotted" chassis with adjustable flex.

3. New convenient system of battery mounting.
4. More rigid AM03-1 "floating" motor mount with possibility of additional flex adjustment.
5. Improved AM10-1 Steering Plate for easy and reliable bearing's adjustment.
6. Improved AM01-1 Gear Boxes for more longer rear steering links and with improved system of upper arms mounting.
OKey that's what I call the Perfect Answer of my poor try to explain the things but the fact is that also with the old car you can be really fast

regards Tom
Old 10-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #2508
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

This is probably a dumb question, I balanced my car left to right on balance buttons, set ride height and all the other setup stuff(camber, caster you know the drill). Now I put the car on scales and the right front and left rear are light and the left front and right rear are heavy. Even with the dampeners and springs set the same and the ride height the same the oppoiste corners feel very differant. I even notice a differance on the track, turning left it turns well even alittle to well, but right It has a slight push.

Any thoughts.

I will try and post the setup I'm running but all the radio gear is on the motor side and the transponder and battery are on the same side.
sprintcarracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #2509
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcarracer View Post
This is probably a dumb question, I balanced my car left to right on balance buttons, set ride height and all the other setup stuff(camber, caster you know the drill). Now I put the car on scales and the right front and left rear are light and the left front and right rear are heavy. Even with the dampeners and springs set the same and the ride height the same the oppoiste corners feel very differant. I even notice a differance on the track, turning left it turns well even alittle to well, but right It has a slight push.

Any thoughts.

I will try and post the setup I'm running but all the radio gear is on the motor side and the transponder and battery are on the same side.
Make sure all of the plastic ball cups are freely moving. After camber caster, toe, etc adjustment the flat on the center most flat on each turnbuckle's ball cups should be parallel to the ground . If not they may be binding . ( There are a couple exceptions , but this applies to all the vertical ball stud assemblies ). This would be the first thing to check as it's easily overlooked.

Jake D.
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #2510
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
Make sure all of the plastic ball cups are freely moving. After camber caster, toe, etc adjustment the flat on the center most flat on each turnbuckle's ball cups should be parallel to the ground . If not they may be binding . ( There are a couple exceptions , but this applies to all the vertical ball stud assemblies ). This would be the first thing to check as it's easily overlooked.

Jake D.
No binding issue. everything is free with no slop. When I use an allen wrench and push on the nose of the chassis the R/F would start to compress 1st, but I have the springs set equally. Not equal are the ride height screws but the only way to make them even is to have both front corners the same weight and same for the rear. I never did any of that with my photon, just left to right balance and that car felt the same left to right steering wise.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #2511
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:

Any thoughts.

I had this problem when I ran the car as well. I believe the problem comes down to the springs being ever so slightly different or even bent a little post-crash and the ride height screws being slightly shorter or longer. I tried simply measuring how far the ride height screws sticks out of P09 with calipers and it doesn't work.

How I would tweak the car was as follows, this should only have to be done every now and then (I would do it after a hard crash or once a day), not on each change:
  • Set car on blocks (or flat surface) and loosen ride height screws completely.
  • Set droop to desired level (or at least even left to right)
  • Slowly tighten ride height screws until just barely touching spring, I would push up on the bottom of the wishbone as I was tightening the screw and stop as soon as there was just a tiny bit of play, it's easy to go a little too far and actually tension the spring. Do this for all four corners. Just try to get the tension or play equal all the way around.
  • Mount tires and set ride height, ensure you always turn equal amounts left to right (I used a silver sharpie to mark one part of the screw head, so you could see how much you changed each screw at a time).
  • (optional) Mount setup wheels, set droop above ride height. (Optional, only because some just set droop based on wishbone height from chassis).
  • Tweak on scales or tweak bar as you would any other car, though it shouldn't really be required, sometimes very minor adjustments were needed.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by erchn; 10-18-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: slightly more detail
erchn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #2512
Tech Master

Quote:
No binding issue. everything is free with no slop. When I use an allen wrench and push on the nose of the chassis the R/F would start to compress 1st, but I have the springs set equally. Not equal are the ride height screws but the only way to make them even is to have both front corners the same weight and same for the rear. I never did any of that with my photon, just left to right balance and that car felt the same left to right steering wise.
It is possible for the car to balance on the balance buttons yet be off weight diagonally.
Have you tried moving the battery forward or back and / or adding weight to both of the light corners ?
After that I'd suspect a spring or dampener is not behaving the same as the others since you say nothing is binding.

Jake D.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #2513
Tech Addict

Quote:
It is possible for the car to balance on the balance buttons yet be off weight diagonally.
Have you tried moving the battery forward or back and / or adding weight to both of the light corners ?
After that I'd suspect a spring or dampener is not behaving the same as the others since you say nothing is binding.

Jake D.
When adding weight it just transferred weight to the already heavy corners. I did move the battery forward, it's centered in the for an aft possions right now.

I just can't imagin the chances of oposite corners being bad like that. I haven't had any hard crashes yet and the chassis isn't tweaked anywhere, i've checked it a few times.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #2514
Tech Master

Quote:
When adding weight it just transferred weight to the already heavy corners. I did move the battery forward, it's centered in the for an aft possions right now.

I just can't imagin the chances of oposite corners being bad like that. I haven't had any hard crashes yet and the chassis isn't tweaked anywhere, i've checked it a few times.
I'd follow Erchn's advice above as he had his car working quite well. And if that doesn't solve it , as a last resort, I'd move the springs from corner to corner and see if the problem follows.

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 10-18-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #2515
Tech Addict

Quote:
I'd follow Erchn's advice above as he had his car working quite well. And if that doesn't solve it , as a last resort, I'd move the springs from corner to corner and see if the problem follows.

Jake D.
I figured I would give it a shot. I'm go over to the guys house that bought your old car and look at his, he doesn't live far away. Thanks for all the advise guys, this is why I want to keep working at this car lots of support.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #2516
Tech Addict

Sounds like a static problem, but I would check the symmetric damper mode screws anyway. They come loose.
See Page 37 of the A700 Manual, Rev A.

All it takes is for that screw to be loose and you are in asymmetric mode. This might not make your corner weighting problem disappear, but if one or more of your dampers is in asymmetric mode the car would probably not handle right.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #2517
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchn View Post
I had this problem when I ran the car as well. I believe the problem comes down to the springs being ever so slightly different or even bent a little post-crash and the ride height screws being slightly shorter or longer. I tried simply measuring how far the ride height screws sticks out of P09 with calipers and it doesn't work.

How I would tweak the car was as follows, this should only have to be done every now and then (I would do it after a hard crash or once a day), not on each change:
  • Set car on blocks (or flat surface) and loosen ride height screws completely.
  • Set droop to desired level (or at least even left to right)
  • Slowly tighten ride height screws until just barely touching spring, I would push up on the bottom of the wishbone as I was tightening the screw and stop as soon as there was just a tiny bit of play, it's easy to go a little too far and actually tension the spring. Do this for all four corners. Just try to get the tension or play equal all the way around.
  • Mount tires and set ride height, ensure you always turn equal amounts left to right (I used a silver sharpie to mark one part of the screw head, so you could see how much you changed each screw at a time).
  • (optional) Mount setup wheels, set droop above ride height. (Optional, only because some just set droop based on wishbone height from chassis).
  • Tweak on scales or tweak bar as you would any other car, though it shouldn't really be required, sometimes very minor adjustments were needed.
Hope this helps.
Well last night I went through the above list. Everything check out ok. Now I just need to set mysteering link as the book says.

I did check the damper screws like gwhiz suggested and they were nice and snug.

Tonight I race. Hopefully with good results.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #2518
Tech Addict

Car still handled bad. Very loose turning left bad push to the right. Found the left rear damper is weak. Its significantly weaker than the right side. I will have to get a new one now. Thanks for all the tips to those who chimed in on my questions. I was still only 3 tenths of fast time.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #2519
Tech Addict

Today I checked the car over some more and found both front dampers are weak also and leaking. 3 of the 4 have a thin film of oil on them.

I did send an email to Oleg, I will have to wait to hear from him.

For the time being does anyone have a set of dampers I can buy, the online store says they are sold out.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #2520
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi guys,

I currently run on Yokomo and I'm just looking to switch to Awesomatix ('cauz I definitly love how this car looks), but I still have some questions:

-which car is the more suitable for which use? I mean, why is there 2 versions of the car? Is the EX better in some condition than the L and vice versa? If I take a EX version, shall it not be more convenient?
I run on blinky 10.5 (maybe it could help in the choice of the version).

-I run more on carpet track than on asphalt, but sometimes I like running outdoor, so what about the behaviour of the car compared to other one?

-Is there a conversion kit to pass an "old" A700 to the current EX or L version?

-Which parts do I have to have in stock in case of crash (or just to prevent)? (I'm not a very good pilot, workin'on, but I sometimes (often) have crash) =/

Thanks a lot for all the answers,
G-rem

Last edited by G-rem; 10-22-2012 at 01:32 PM.
G-rem is offline   Reply With Quote