R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #1936
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatriks View Post
Hey guys newbie question here but im used to shock oil weight and spring rates.....but never used gf/mm just wondering if theres a conversion chart out there to make it easier for me to set up these shocks....thanks
I think this is actually a pretty non-trivial question. Only because you can get to the same gF/mm number while having different shock dampening and spring rates. Some general advice about valid ranges, given by Oleg quite a while ago, is here. Personally, I think it can vary quite a bit depending on bumpiness of track, stock vs. open class, type of traction that's created, mechanical vs. artificially created chemical based traction.

I think those numbers might be a little high as well, considering the center of gravity is much lower in the A700, so softer/thinner settings may be needed. Experiment, look at setup sheets on the Awesomatix /download/ page, you'll get an idea of what works. Sorry more specific advice, at least by myself, cannot be given.

Last edited by erchn; 04-05-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: slightly more detail
erchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #1937
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatriks View Post
Hey guys newbie question here but im used to shock oil weight and spring rates.....but never used gf/mm just wondering if theres a conversion chart out there to make it easier for me to set up these shocks....thanks
As suggested to other new owners. Try some of the existing setups, drive the car and get a feel for the different setups.

Although the current rates are close to the sweet spot of other leading TC's the A700 has unique attributes. Suggest not to go off of the deep end trying to find your unique setup first, use the car, learn its functions.

There are several spring charts floating around that might have similar gf/mm measurements but that is simply for the spring approximation only and doesn't take into account the A700 wheel rates and dampening rate within the dampner.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #1938
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I start my build tomorrow....F I NAL L Y

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #1939
Tech Fanatic

Default Transverse motor

Hey guys,

I tried transverse for the first time yesterday, and I think it really woke the car up from an overall roll perspective, the car finally feels like it's carving. Final settings attached. Note: I did try softer suspension as previously suggested by Ed (tryhard), but with transverse it was just too soft, and the car was very lazy, and failed to get into the corner as well as with stiffer springs. I might try them again with front and rear bars, and a little more front to rear stiffness difference, my soft suspension testing was either equal front to rear or about 5 gr difference.

I think I want to try moving the battery to F1 as well next time out, as the front/rear balance is currently about 47%/53% with transverse, and I think that's causing much of the initial push I'm seeing.

I also went to the maximum sized spur, trying to move the motor forward a little bit, and a 78 spur hits the top deck, so I had to trim that back a little bit with a Dremel, probably .5mm on the bottom of the deck near the screws. Only just now did I notice the manual has an inconsistency, it shows maximum size of 77 (48p) on page 24, but on the gear charts on page 39, it shows up to 78.

Lastly transverse not only woke up the car, but it also woke up the neighbors with the ridiculously loud noise that the extra metal gears make. Not only are the gears smaller, but they are fully exposed as well, so they really howl. I did manage to get the car a little quieter by shimming G02 .1mm closer to G01 (there was too much lash), but it's still quite distracting running around the track. Some grease and dry wax helped a touch also, but not as much as I'd like, that's for sure.

I had the spur come loose twice on me during practice, you really have to wrench down hard on the gear to ensure it doesn't slip, and in turn that makes it very hard to get loose again. In fact I broke a tooth off G01 trying to get it loose, and had to borrow an extra one that a friend had (luckily he runs the car and wasn't using it!), I guess I'll be ordering him an extra gear here soon.

I think what I really want is a plastic gear for either the G01 or G02, probably G01 as the longer shaft of G02 would be hard to make strong enough. I would REALLY like G01 to have two other things, a) threads that run further down the shaft, as an XRAY spur (and many others) are too narrow, the nut bottoms out on the threads before getting to the spur, and b) the same pins built into the gear that are on AT20.

Oleg, any chance something like that could be made, or any other suggestions for cutting down on the noise?

Thanks,
Ethan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf asphalt norcal 4-7-2012.pdf (341.9 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by erchn; 04-08-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: softer suspension recommendation correction
Old 04-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #1940
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchn View Post
Hey guys,

I tried transverse for the first time yesterday, and I think it really woke the car up from an overall roll perspective, the car finally feels like it's carving. Final settings attached. Note: I did try softer suspension as previously suggested by Ed (tryhard), but with transverse it was just too soft, and the car was very lazy, and failed to get into the corner as well as with stiffer springs. I might try them again with front and rear bars, and a little more front to rear stiffness difference, my soft suspension testing was either equal front to rear or about 5 gr difference.

I think I want to try moving the battery to F1 as well next time out, as the front/rear balance is currently about 47%/53% with transverse, and I think that's causing much of the initial push I'm seeing.

I also went to the maximum sized spur, trying to move the motor forward a little bit, and a 78 spur hits the top deck, so I had to trim that back a little bit with a Dremel, probably .5mm on the bottom of the deck near the screws. Only just now did I notice the manual has an inconsistency, it shows maximum size of 77 (48p) on page 24, but on the gear charts on page 39, it shows up to 78.

Lastly transverse not only woke up the car, but it also woke up the neighbors with the ridiculously loud noise that the extra metal gears make. Not only are the gears smaller, but they are fully exposed as well, so they really howl. I did manage to get the car a little quieter by shimming G02 .1mm closer to G01 (there was too much lash), but it's still quite distracting running around the track. Some grease and dry wax helped a touch also, but not as much as I'd like, that's for sure.

I had the spur come loose twice on me during practice, you really have to wrench down hard on the gear to ensure it doesn't slip, and in turn that makes it very hard to get loose again. In fact I broke a tooth off G01 trying to get it loose, and had to borrow an extra one that a friend had (luckily he runs the car and wasn't using it!), I guess I'll be ordering him an extra gear here soon.

I think what I really want is a plastic gear for either the G01 or G02, probably G01 as the longer shaft of G02 would be hard to make strong enough. I would REALLY like G01 to have two other things, a) threads that run further down the shaft, as an XRAY spur (and many others) are too narrow, the nut bottoms out on the threads before getting to the spur, and b) the same pins built into the gear that are on AT20.

Oleg, any chance something like that could be made, or any other suggestions for cutting down on the noise?

Thanks,
Ethan
Deffiently try the car with harder bars when running the transverse motor, the car will roll more this way, so the harder bars help to control that. When I ran transverse, I ran 1.4 / 1.3, much like Steen did at ETS Gran Caneria.

HiH
Ed
Old 04-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #1941
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hey guys,

Had the same issue. Seemed like the locknut was threading far enough down onto the spur gear. I imagine they might have tested with wider spur gears. My XENON and KAWADA spurs needed a small spacer behind them to create a better lockdown for the spur.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #1942
Tech Champion

MarkD, TryHard, Magnet Top and others with the car for awhile....TRANSVERSE or LONGITUDINAL? For 17.5 no boost/carpet
Also, box stock setup or someone elses?

Last edited by JayBee; 04-08-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #1943
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
MarkD, TryHard, Magnet Top and others with the car for awhile....TRANSVERSE or LONGITUDINAL? For 17.5 no boost
For 17.5 -

My vote, is longitudinal. Super efficient, whisper quiet.

Transverse will get you more on power steering, transfer over the front wheels.

Back to back, I liked the longitudinal better.

Mod/Boosted -

I would have to try the transverse again.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #1944
Tech Master

Quote:
MarkD, TryHard, Magnet Top and others with the car for awhile....TRANSVERSE or LONGITUDINAL? For 17.5 no boost (CARPET)
I haven't tried transverse...
I'd start with Freddy's setup as a base. He runs it longitudinally.

at the Hangar which I have to assume where you'll be running. I run a little stiffer than Freddy overall and am going back to more roll in the front. Freddy uses .5 and 1mm in front to create anti-dive. I use no spacer and .5mm. Last race I tried sway bars and didn't like the car on our layout with our spec tires ( sweep QTS 32's ). Too edgy and didn't allow the car to take a good predictable set.

Jake D.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 04-08-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Magnet Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #1945
Tech Champion

Thanks fellow comrades
Jake I know I've been lazy about building but I'm getting the itch again. Work and SWTOR can keep a dude busy

Old 04-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #1946
Tech Champion

Is there a posting of either Freddy's setups on one of these pages? I can't seem to download it. 2 hours has gone by and have only sorted thru the kit

Old 04-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #1947
Tech Regular

2 cars for sale 1 x NEW 1 x USED.
Link
Cheers
Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #1948
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
I start my build tomorrow....F I NAL L Y
Pics or gtfo!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #1949
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

Thanks,
Ethan
So, Oleg, any chance of a plastic gear being made or other options?
Old 04-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #1950
Tech Addict

Quote:
So, Oleg, any chance of a plastic gear being made or other options?
We're working on it now.

Some recommendation for current gears:
1. Reducing of clearance between G01 and G02 gears by means of ~0.2mm grinding of AM13 face that connects to AM02 part.
Use SB3x5 screw with thread lock for fine adjustment of gears clearance ( p.16 of the Instruction).
2. Routine greasing of G01/G02 gears with sticky or dry lubricants.
Oleg Babich is offline   Reply With Quote