Search

Xtreme TC3 SSG Carbon Fiber Kit Initial Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 07:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Thumbs up Xtreme TC3 SSG Carbon Fiber Kit Initial Review

While setting up shop, I decided it was time to spoil myself...again

I recently picked up a few Xtreme carbon fiber items for a few of my buddise and was given a great deal to pick up some of his factory seconds. Needless to say, I snatched up a nice batch and took it home to pop em on ebay. Everything was going smoothly, trying not to mix business and pleasure together. However this damn pretty TC3 chassis kit kept peeking out of the pile of carbon and asked me to put it on...and my TC3 was getting anxious...Anyhow...

Here is the kit as it comes in the bags:

The Xtreme SSG kit is a real nice piece of kit. It look fabulous and outdoes my buddies MR4TC SSG in looks I think =)

Here is a top shot:

And here is a bottom shot:

Some cons I noticed about the kit....
1) The directions are not for the inexperienced, however cross refrencing between the OEM TC3 manual and the Xtreme instructions helped out.
2) It dosent include screws for the bulkhead braces(minor thing...instructions say to reuse factory screws, but factory ones are not counter sunk)
3) OEM bumper fits, but RPM bumper needs to be shaved down...this is minor as the kit was designed around the factory stuff
4) OEM Factory Team Chassis and parts removed weighs 7.5oz, complete SSG kit ont he scales weighs 8.2oz

Some real nice points about the kit...
1) Long sidebraces are integrated with the bulkhead braces, creating a extended brace from front to rear..definately increases stiffness. It effectively creates a box/tub style chassis without the weight.
2) SSG Carbon looks great and after assembly is noticably stiffer then the original factory team chassis.
3) One piece chrome alunimum motor mount eliminates the gay cam/clamp down system of the TC3 and it integrated with the drivechaft bearing carrier...however, it is in a tight spot, so removing/installing motors needs a angled allen key to perform the task.
4) Battery slots are moved closer to the centerline. There is still more room to remove material if desired to bring it closer to the line.
5) Chassis is predrilled for use of either the Nitro or Electric TC3 suspension and steering, great flexability of choice here.
6) Chassis is cut with 7 cell slots, not 6 like other aftermarket chassis. Also predrilled to allow battery cups to be installed for use with 6 or 7 cell stick packs.
7) All holes are countersunk, so that helps prevent tweak after a hard crash.
8) Roomier then the factory kit for electronics

Here is a shot of the centerline:

Here is a shot of the side of the chassis:

I took a few minute break from work, so I popped in some electronics and gave it a nice test drive around the block. It definately responds quicker then the original kit. This chassis brought my factory team kit back to life. It is worth the price, in my opinion.

The kit retails for $299 from the Xtreme RC Racing , but the street price is around $199. It also comes in black carbon for the stealth look. I got a bunch of seconds that i'll blow out cheap too(quick spaming)

I'm satisfied with the fit and finish, especially noting that it is a "factory second"

My problem now is that I dont get to race anymore due to work and family obligations...is there anyone in the Western Mass/Conn area that would like to borrow the car, slap some electronics in it and give it a thrashing, then put a nice detailed write up on the board? I supply the car, you supply your own electronics, wheels tires and body and a hour of typing.

Email me at [email protected]
Old 08-28-2003, 07:50 AM

Well, Xtreme now have onsale for $169 black and $179 SSG. Not factory second.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Hahha

Sweeet! Bruce finally lowered the price for the masses =)

At that price, from the factory, it's a great deal I think.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:55 AM

Yeah, I might get one. I'll go for black because it is lighter and stiffer than ssg, also cheaper. The battery look not close enough to the center.

Last edited by Aku-Man; 08-28-2003 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Hmmm

Silly me, I forgot to measure the distance of the oem specs beofre I installed the kit

ygm
Old 08-28-2003, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Centerline

Comparing it to the factory kit, you are right, there isnt a diffrence between the FT chassis and the carbon one with regards to the battery centerline. I think it was setup like this to allow the use of battery cups. Oh well, time to break out the ole dremel

I think the main points about the kit is the fact you can use nitro or electric bits on it and the torsional stiffness of the kit.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:01 AM

Why Bruce from xtreme not move the battery closer to the centerline when doing the chassis? Well, I just waiting for his reply, see if he can do special order for me and not raise the price. I alway want this chassis, but the price...... Now the price is in good range, but still bit expensive.

dynamic_e
How thick is the lower chassis?

Last edited by Aku-Man; 08-28-2003 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default COol

Yeah, i've allready inquired to bruce..he is working on it. I think he didnt do it at first because he wanted the versatility or using battery cups for stick packs, but if this kit is focused towards the racer, we dont use cups at all, we all use side by sides...I beleve he was focusing on this chassis towards all audiences.

I think, to make the chassis unstoppable, he needs to shave the center support down, and bring the battery slots 2-3mm closer to the drive shaft. This will allow room for the battery bars to not hit the carbon center support and bring the batteries right up on the shaft. Other that that, the kit is perfect. It is strong, comparable weight to the graphite, lighter then the plastic and built like a rock. with flexability with options of suspension and steering.

all the carbon used is a nice healthy 3mm thick on both the SSG and the standard CF
Old 08-28-2003, 10:38 AM

Yeah, i've allready inquired to bruce..he is working on it. I think he didnt do it at first because he wanted the versatility or using battery cups for stick packs, but if this kit is focused towards the racer, we dont use cups at all, we all use side by sides...I beleve he was focusing on this chassis towards all audiences.
Great, so Xtreme is going to release Version 2 chassis?
The standard cf is lighter and stiffer than ssg. Why you using SSG. Look better?

Last edited by Aku-Man; 08-28-2003 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default lol

I do not know if he is going to realse a V2 anytime soon, as he just released this one and is starting to advertise it.

I chose the SSG because it is so damn cool looking

I beleve that half of what we pay for, RC wise is for style points =)
Old 08-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Eric,
forgive me if i sound uninformed...I'm just getting back into racing the TC3 so i'm way behind the times. has this chassis been raced and are there any race reports on handling or setups??? Looks way cool. I'm in the market for a lightly used FT TC3.....if you know of one..let me know. I've already got an eye on one of your Ebay auctions. Thanks
Old 08-28-2003, 11:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Cool

Not a problem Evo.

This is a relatively new chassis thats out. I am trying to get the manufacturer to sponsor a few drivers and get the name out in the market. He is very well known for his monster truck related stuff, but the onroad stuff is a new venture for him for what I am told.

If any racers out there would like to give this chassis a try, please email me and we will work out a deal

On another note, depending on what my fiancee says, this FT might have to go on ebay....she's not gonna take my TXT-1 from me though

Again...if there are any regionally or nationally known drivers out there that would like to give this chassis a try, please email me at [email protected]
Old 08-28-2003, 06:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Carbon

The chassis is 3mm thick carbon....beefy stuff
Old 08-28-2003, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I tried to email u but it got denied, i pm'ed instead

[email protected] is my email

Last edited by StephenSobottka; 08-28-2003 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:08 PM
R/C Tech Founder

dynamic_e: I'd be happy to do a full review of the chassis kit for R/C Tech, as well as a race test/report if you'd like.

I'd actually be very interested to compare the flex of this car to the FT TC3. We race mainly foam these days out here, and it would be interesting, to say the least. I'd also like to compare it to the Yokomo SD.

Anyway, if the guy making them is interested, it's could be good PR. PM me if you'd like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.