Wiki Posts
Search

Modifying lipo hard cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default Modifying lipo hard cases

I recently picked up two trinity/IP 3800 lipo packs it seems like every other lipo they have the humps on the bottom to fit into the chassis slots. The problem being i like to run a Lipo plate and want the lipo to sit flat against the plate. Can you shave the humps off the case without exposing the actual battery? and if so is this against ROAR regulations? My main concern is safety but if i can get these to fit flat in the chassis it would be great.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default upside down

Why dont you put them upside down, that is, the bumps on the top ???????
easy.
BOB
Old 11-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by AUSSIE BOB
easy.
BOB
then i have to drill through the case and hope i dont mess up the bullet connectors
Old 11-19-2008, 04:58 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shadow102
I recently picked up two trinity/IP 3800 lipo packs it seems like every other lipo they have the humps on the bottom to fit into the chassis slots. The problem being i like to run a Lipo plate and want the lipo to sit flat against the plate. Can you shave the humps off the case without exposing the actual battery? and if so is this against ROAR regulations? My main concern is safety but if i can get these to fit flat in the chassis it would be great.
It's not legal to do that....but, you could probably shave down the bumps. Not recommended though.

Originally Posted by AUSSIE BOB
easy.
BOB
Because the female bullets would be underneath, how would you plug it in?
Old 11-19-2008, 06:04 PM
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

the female thing...is always underneath...but that's a different "lipo"
Old 11-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I have seen people shave the bumps off of them. I am pretty sure it will cause the pack to NOT be ROAR legal so you may check with the track you race at to see if you can still race it there. IT wont damage the pack as the cells are not in the bumps. They are just there to help hold the packs in as you said. Just be very careful not to go to far and go all the way through the pack. The bumps are solid so it will not leave a hole in the bottom of the pack.

EA
Old 11-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shadow102
I have never ground on one of the Trinity packs. However, I have ground the tabs (bumps) off of the Reedy packs and doing this on these will in fact expose the inside of the case. Even if you are very careful to only grind the tabs level this still creates a hole in the case. Proceed with caution.