Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack. >

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As Lipo seems to have taken over in all classes now I suspect car manufacturers will release new chassis that will be Lipo friendly. This is why we removed the bumps on the new inboard single cell case.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
New pic of the SMC4000 mounted in my XRAY XII:

Perfectly balanced left to right, and 20grams underweight .

That does look like a new version Orion motor but, gotta let you know my old version didnt like single cell. Not enough tork. By time I got the gear close you could hear the motor cog coming off the corners with no zip. Just a heads up.

DK
Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
We decided to do the inboard case for the new single cell as we can solder the tubes directly on the tabs of the cells which will keep resistance as low as possible. On 2S pack we have to use a circuit board which increase the resistance but we had to do an inoard 2S pack as racers in Europe seem only use bullet style connectors.
Funny ... I remember getting chastised about how the Deans connector was the best ever . I still think you owe me an apology. One less solder joint with the barrels. Maybe I'm not as dumb as every one seems to think. Or perhaps just no love lost from an old has been racer. Either way , I said my $0.02 and payed for it.... 6,000 times over. EFRA and the others must have some reason to want the packs like this. Certainly they don't know me either.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Company Representative

EFRA packs don't require inboard connectors but we did our EFRA packs with them as most European racers use this style connector. On a 2S pack with circuit board and tubes there is definately more resistance than 12 gauge wires and Deans or other high end connector.

The single cell pack is different as were able to solder tubes directly on the cells so this means the resistance will be as low as possible.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Funny ... I remember getting chastised about how the Deans connector was the best ever . I still think you owe me an apology. One less solder joint with the barrels. Maybe I'm not as dumb as every one seems to think. Or perhaps just no love lost from an old has been racer. Either way , I said my $0.02 and payed for it.... 6,000 times over. EFRA and the others must have some reason to want the packs like this. Certainly they don't know me either.
No one thinks you're dumb John, you just have the habit of coming across like an a$$. Sometimes, it's better to be content with knowing that someone is going to have to do something and make a mistake in order to learn a better way to do it. I too prefer the barrel's, I've been using various types for many years now. Hard wiring is for guys that like to sniff lead

All I'm saying is, dial it back a notch or two once in a while and you probably will cut your hate mail in half It might not be in your character to do that but try it anyways, new challenges are fun........right?
Old 06-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Its funny you say it that way .
I tried .. I asked if there was going to be any like I suggested.
All I got was a bunch of B.S. about how I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about . Now that one is out and made by (them) lol I just have to rub it in. And for thew record I like hate mail.... At least I know someone is paying attention.
you may have seen the 4000 single cell thread ...
if not, it may be a bit entertaining to read knowing now what you do.
And I never said I wasn't an a$$. Everybody's gotta be something.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

And I never said I wasn't an a$$. Everybody's gotta be something.

You're definitely an a$$.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

We decided to do the inboard case for the new single cell as we can solder the tubes directly on the tabs of the cells which will keep resistance as low as possible. On 2S pack we have to use a circuit board which increase the resistance but we had to do an inoard 2S pack as racers in Europe seem only use bullet style connectors.
UK BRCA rules will no longer accept LiPos with wires in National meetings.
Club racers will however still carry on using their current wired packs
(I have 8 packs, saves on-site charging)

Last edited by NiMo; 06-19-2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: can't spell, lol
Old 06-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

The one with 12 gauge is the exact same case as the current 4000 but the one with inboard connectors will have the ends of the case square instead of rounded but it will not be longer than the longest point of the current pack.

We will still offer the 4000/25C as it's being used by some tracks and organisations as a spec style pack to limit costs.
Ahh. I see. You did it right with out the circuit board in the 3.7 pack.

I still think you owe me an apology.
Here's your apology...

We're sorry we all have to put up with you!
Old 06-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by NiMo
UK BRCA rules will no longer accept LiPos with wires in National meetings.
I dont think you are right on this one, have a read of the BRCA EB rules again.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by reynard55
I dont think you are right on this one, have a read of the BRCA EB rules again.
Try reading again, and not just the printed document.
2009 allows 2008 and 2009 LiPo packs
2010 will not allow 2008 LiPos

2008 rules allowed Wires
2009 rules DO NOT
Old 06-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Tech Initiate

2009 allows 2008 and 2009 LiPo packs
2010 will not allow 2008 LiPos

2008 rules allowed Wires
2009 rules DO NOT
NiMo show us were it states what you are saying.

Lithium Based (LiPo) Battery Packs.
The storage, charging and use of Lithium based batteries (LiPo) can give rise to serious safety implications. The BRCA will publish guidelines for the safe use of these batteries on the BRCA website. It is imperative that the guidelines are studied and adhered to.
3.3 Lithium based (LiPo) battery packs must have a hard, protective case that completely envelopes the cell(s). The case should be made from ABS or a similar material. The two halves of the case must be factory sealed in a way that any attempt to open the case will destroy the case. The only opening in the case that is allowed, is for the exit of wires.
3.4 For 7.4v Packs: The maximum case sizes allowed are as follows: -
Length: 139.0mm.
Width: 47.0mm. (The max. width includes any side exit wires).
Height: 23.5mm. (In addition, chassis location protrusions are allowed)
Saddle-Pack cells are allowed, and must comply with the above width and height dimensions. Saddle-Pack cells must have a combined length dimension of 139.0mm max when placed end to end.
For 3.7v Packs: The maximum case sizes allowed are as follows :-
Length: 93.0 mm
Width: 47.0 mm
Height: 20.0 mm
3.5 Individual cells used in the construction of the battery pack shall be rated at 3.7 volts nominal. Individual cells may be wired in parallel.
For 7.4v Packs: The maximum connection ‘In Series’ is two, to give a Final pack voltage of 7.4v nominal.
For 3.7v Packs: Cells can only be connected in parallel, to give a Final pack voltage of 3.7v nominal.
3.6 The battery pack shall have leads extending from the case for the positive and negative electrical connections using wire of adequate size to handle discharge rates acceptable to racing applications. Alternatively, the case shall have internal connection points for these wires clearly marked positive and negative so the user can apply the lead wires. It is strongly advised that the link wire for Saddle Pack cells utilises a plug which will separate with any undue force.
3.7 The case must have the original suppliers label intact, stating the rated voltage and the pack capacity. Maximum capacity is 5,500 mah. The Brand name/logo shall be easily readable.
3.8 All LiPo batteries must be charged with a LiPo-capable charger using the industry standard CC/CV (Constant Current/Constant Voltage) charge profile.
3.9 LiPo batteries may be charged to a maximum of:-
8.40V for cells/batteries connected in series giving a pack voltage of 7.4v nominal.
4.20V for cells/batteries connected in parallel giving a pack voltage of 3.7v nominal.
Overcharging is a serious safety hazard and will not be tolerated.
3.10 Any competitor found to be charging cells using a charger that is not specifically designed for LiPo batteries, or using a charge profile other than the industry standard CC/CV, will be disqualified from the event.
Any competitor found to have charged LiPo batteries to above 8.40V or 4.20V (as detailed in 3.9) will be disqualified from the event.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Even I have missed the latest update.

Only these packs are allowed in Nationals in 2009, which even makes MY packs illegal:
http://www.brca.org/BRCA/elecboard/n...%20List%20.pdf
Old 06-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jdsrace1
NiMo show us were it states what you are saying.

Lithium Based (LiPo) Battery Packs.
The storage, charging and use of Lithium based batteries (LiPo) can give rise to serious safety implications. The BRCA will publish guidelines for the safe use of these batteries on the BRCA website. It is imperative that the guidelines are studied and adhered to.
3.3 Lithium based (LiPo) battery packs must have a hard, protective case that completely envelopes the cell(s). The case should be made from ABS or a similar material. The two halves of the case must be factory sealed in a way that any attempt to open the case will destroy the case. The only opening in the case that is allowed, is for the exit of wires.
3.4 For 7.4v Packs: The maximum case sizes allowed are as follows: -
Length: 139.0mm.
Width: 47.0mm. (The max. width includes any side exit wires).
Height: 23.5mm. (In addition, chassis location protrusions are allowed)
Saddle-Pack cells are allowed, and must comply with the above width and height dimensions. Saddle-Pack cells must have a combined length dimension of 139.0mm max when placed end to end.
For 3.7v Packs: The maximum case sizes allowed are as follows :-
Length: 93.0 mm
Width: 47.0 mm
Height: 20.0 mm
3.5 Individual cells used in the construction of the battery pack shall be rated at 3.7 volts nominal. Individual cells may be wired in parallel.
For 7.4v Packs: The maximum connection ‘In Series’ is two, to give a Final pack voltage of 7.4v nominal.
For 3.7v Packs: Cells can only be connected in parallel, to give a Final pack voltage of 3.7v nominal.
3.6 The battery pack shall have leads extending from the case for the positive and negative electrical connections using wire of adequate size to handle discharge rates acceptable to racing applications. Alternatively, the case shall have internal connection points for these wires clearly marked positive and negative so the user can apply the lead wires. It is strongly advised that the link wire for Saddle Pack cells utilises a plug which will separate with any undue force.
3.7 The case must have the original suppliers label intact, stating the rated voltage and the pack capacity. Maximum capacity is 5,500 mah. The Brand name/logo shall be easily readable.
3.8 All LiPo batteries must be charged with a LiPo-capable charger using the industry standard CC/CV (Constant Current/Constant Voltage) charge profile.
3.9 LiPo batteries may be charged to a maximum of:-
8.40V for cells/batteries connected in series giving a pack voltage of 7.4v nominal.
4.20V for cells/batteries connected in parallel giving a pack voltage of 3.7v nominal.
Overcharging is a serious safety hazard and will not be tolerated.
3.10 Any competitor found to be charging cells using a charger that is not specifically designed for LiPo batteries, or using a charge profile other than the industry standard CC/CV, will be disqualified from the event.
Any competitor found to have charged LiPo batteries to above 8.40V or 4.20V (as detailed in 3.9) will be disqualified from the event.
So then the Reedy 5000 35c pack I just bought is illegal. at 24.5mm in height.
Someone seriously needs to get a definitive size "container" for us U.S. racers. it would have been nice to stop the b.s. once the 3800 30c packs came out. Seriously , wasn't that enough ?

And It sucks when the a$$ is right.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

2008 rules allowed Wires
2009 rules DO NOT
3.6 The battery pack shall have leads extending from the case for the positive and negative electrical connections using wire of adequate size to handle discharge rates acceptable to racing applications. Alternatively, the case shall have internal connection points for these wires clearly marked positive and negative so the user can apply the lead wires.

Looks to me like they are specifically allowed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.