Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack. >

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
boot all u want .. Ill run my flight pack,, thanks
Which is certainly your right. Myself, I wouldn't have a receiver pack up my a$$ if I had room for a barn as it takes whatever convenience element provided by conversion to LiPo and flushes it down the crapper...then adds additional pita to boot. Sorry, not for me. Ran 'em "in the day" and have no interest at all in returning to that.

I'm very interested in what anyone might suggest re: booster solutions. Aching to get stuff ordered up.

Thanks,

Scottrik

Last edited by Scottrik; 01-01-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Which is certainly your right. Myself, I wouldn't have a receiver pack up my a$$ if I had room for a barn as it takes whatever convenience element provided by conversion to LiPo provides and flushes it down the crapper...then adds additional pita to boot. Sorry, not for me. Ran 'em "in the day" and have no interest at all in returning to that.

I'm very interested in what anyone might suggest re: booster solutions. Aching to get stuff ordered up.

Thanks,

Scottrik
Get in line... Novak is supposed to be releasing one but there is no ETA I just keep hearing "Soon". I tried to see if Charlie would have one I could buy/get from him at the Novak race coming up and was told 'no'. I also think the flight packs are a bandaid and reason alone people are hessitant on the whole 1 cell LiPo. Get a good booster out there and I think LiPo will take off in 1.12th.

I have a 13.5 and a 1 cell SMC LiPo in hand ready to go... but no booster and I am not investing the $50+ to get a flight pack and a VR to drop it down to 6v (so I dont cook my reciever) just to act as a bandaid.

So Novak - get off yer ass and release this hehe
Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default receiver pack/booster

the SR3500 receiver is good to 9v. and the MRT PTX is ok to 30v., only the servo is thing to worry about over volting if you use a 7.4v receiver pack. I threw a receiver pack together to test with out of 4 AAA alkalines and got out and tested my single cell set-up. I was very surprised and happy with how it ran. (13.5/tekin RS) I am looking forward to getting it set-up and dialed in with the 1s lipo... but with a booster. Let them get it right, so we don't have any problems with the units.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:00 PM

amazingly, I am not part of the spetrum cartel, and am using a Airtronics 2.4Ghz reciever which is known to be tempermental over 6v. I am not worried about the PTX, but the reciever and the servo are not only expensive, but also pretty critical items to work when racing

I am going to give it a spin this saturday without a booster or reciever pack with my Novak GTB 4 cell Spread Spectrum ESC and a 13.5 to see how it goes.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Its just that this BOOSTER cuircut is something I just dont trust yet . And I gotta go with what I know... for now anyways. sometimes a servo can draw an amp or more. Like I said b4. lets see what bob comes up with first. The transponder booster is ok but not for servos and yes! the 2.4 like voltage. Amen.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 PM

I have been talking to electronics engineer who has built many small electronics things on his own including ESC at one point. And he thinks this is quite feasable to make a booster that can handle 3 Amps at 6V. (and that is what I believe the Novak booster is spec'd at either 2 or 3 Amps - both of which are more than enough) That should handle any Servo and reciever need.

'Fear what you do not fully take the time to understand' seems to be the motto of R/C racers. Instead of 'investigate and test before drawing a conclusion'. Your fear is pretty much the same reason there is so much drama with anything new in this hobby.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

yeah .. right, that explains the drawers of new stuff in my box.
I ve spent way too much trying to figure out what I would perfer and now its out of hand . I think we all have payed our dues a hundred times over. So please don't think thats a cop out ok man.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:55 PM

So I did some sizing work and some wiring work to get the LiPo to work in the chassis wiht the minimum amount of effort to switch between 4 cell and LiPo. The first thing I did was remove the Deans connector as I dont use one of those in 4 cell and in general dont like em in these small cars. I cut the leads to different lengths and soldered on some Trinity bullet tubes. and then affixed them tight to the face of the cell.

Images are below - not sure why they arent showing up.

This made for a nice low CG solution for how to connect and disconnect this pack since there are no internal bullet connetors.

I mounted in a 13.5 but already realized that the reciever has a failsafe that cant be disabled at 3.6v so it went into fail safe instantly and thats all she wrote. So I wont be testing this setup at all until Novak releases its booster.

Oh well.

The chassis lacking only wheels and body rang in at 625 gm with no other weight reduction done to the chassis.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default SMC single cell LiPO

Danny, Whats the deal with Horizon, I ordered with my LHS instead of shopping on the Internet for one of these Batteries, back ordered for the last 3 weeks, What can you do here, Help me out.

Mike
Old 01-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

Heres a pic of another T bar car. This time with a novak speedo. The guy who's car this is, Phil, tested all day today. One run he tried not using the reciever pack. The car went a lil flat speed wise but lap time wise did not really fall off at all. Had a hot lap of 9.3 and he backed it up running a 9.3 7:50 sec. into the run. I then tried the car and ran another 9.3 at the 10 min. mark. Again this was with no reciever pack. steering felt fine.
Attached Thumbnails SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.-img00009-20090101-1925.jpg  
Old 01-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

notice the reciever is a bit dated.
the issues and need for flight pack in my car is an issue about the FAAST system. I believe its a voltage sensative thing . Not the speedo. Also lipos keep higher voltage longer than round cells don't they!? I like 1 cell 1/12th
I think it needs to be across the board. We all need one or maybe 2 of Dannys packs! So shut up and race !
Old 01-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
notice the reciever is a bit dated.
the issues and need for flight pack in my car is an issue about the FAAST system. I believe its a voltage sensative thing . Not the speedo. Also lipos keep higher voltage longer than round cells don't they!? I like 1 cell 1/12th
I think it needs to be across the board. We all need one or maybe 2 of Dannys packs! So shut up and race !
i use the old reciver set up cause i broke my dsm............
Old 01-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trips
Phil,

what would you say are the differences between running a NIMH 17.5 at 850 or so and the LiPO 13.5 at 688?

Not having driven one, I'm really curious about that...
\
D
it safe to say 13.5 lipo is alot less work ....charge batt go race ......less weight =less wear tire wear is relly good.........more time between round to play with chassis........has a slight mod feel to it being so fast in the corners............................when i ran the novak car yesturday with no receiver pack it lost some punch at

seven min mark.........but laps stayed same track was not optimum........we ran this car for min it would have gone more ............
Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by busman
Danny, Whats the deal with Horizon, I ordered with my LHS instead of shopping on the Internet for one of these Batteries, back ordered for the last 3 weeks, What can you do here, Help me out.

Mike

Packs are shipping back out to distributors. We soldout of the first shipment and have now gotten the second one.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:51 AM

Danny, you mentioned you were going to query Novak about that booster ETA, any word on that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.