Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack. >

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've emailed him and he did tell me they will look into this at the next meeting in March. The problem is that by March there I beleive others will already have new packs. Since were the one who released the first pack it's strange to ask ROAR to protect our case size as it makes us seem like we want an advantage. That is far from being what we want we just want to keep things simple and cost effective. The current case fits well and the cells work well so there is no need to do anything else. This is why racers that are ROAR members who plan on racing this pack should contact ROAR and let them know about this.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Danny and Donny. Sounds like the esc switch shuts off the lipo cut off. Sounds like that will do the trick for me. That would be awsome if I could use my LRP's.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Danny/SMC...

Is there any other lipo cutoff (external to ESC) other than the novak that you would recommend for use with your products?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Company Representative

There is no current single cell Lipo cutoffs available. I beleive there maybe one in Novak booster that will be released eventually.

If your looking for a 2 cell cutoff Novak has this and it's available.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I meant for 2s 7.4...I have used the Novak Smart Stop before but wasn't sure if there was something else out there....
Old 12-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 360rcspeedway
Had a guy testing the LRP at my track yesterday. Dropped off only .1 in an 8 min. 1/12th stock race (had a 13.5 motor in, to make it equal to 17.5/4 cell)

I believe he had it setup with a rx pack and turned only the rx pack on and left the speedo switch off. This was with the red wire left in. Worked really good.
Thats how I have run my sphere and it has worked great.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just another data point. Got to run my car again yesterday.

CRC Gen-X
LRP Sphere comp switch turned off all wires intact
180mah lipo receiver pack with voltage regulator
vector x11 10.5
rollout ~ 89 - 93 mm (tried 2 different pinions 74/44 & 74/46)
6 minute races
total car weight just over 794g

On each run i was using ~1300 - 1500 mA.
Receiver battery was using ~ 40 mA.
Motor was just warm.

I won't compare race times because I can't drive fast yet. However, I did try one of the "fast guy's" cars with a 4 cell pack and didn't notice a huge difference.

Next race I will probably try larger pinions until the motor starts to get hot or I can't control the car any more

Regards,
Carter who is still hooked on 1s lipo.

Btw, has anyone tried running the same motor as 4 cell and just gearing up to compensate?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
There is no current single cell Lipo cutoffs available. I beleive there maybe one in Novak booster that will be released eventually.

If your looking for a 2 cell cutoff Novak has this and it's available.
I found a cutoff that handles single cell lipos from common sense rc:

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=196

I just got it tonight, wired it up and it seems to work fine. Haven't cleaned up the wires yet, but some pics are attached.

I raced on Sunday without it. I used the SMC single cell and had no problems with any electronics. although i did feel like my servo was a little slpower than i would have liked.

SpeedPassion GT
Spektrum Micro Receiver
10.5 brushless

no voltage booster or receiver pack.

my runs were draining about 100mah per minute of run time.

I also noticed that speed passion is coming out with a lcd box that can interface with a pc like the castle systems. From the screen shots they have posted, and from the manual that you can download, it looks like you can set the voltage cutoff manually. I have no idea where or how to get it or if it is available yet. here is more information on LCC Professional Program Unit:

http://www.speedpassion.net/product.php?lang=&c=17
Attached Thumbnails SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.-dsc_7108.jpg   SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.-dsc_7106.jpg  
Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Tech Addict

You can already set the Lipo cutoff of the Speed Passion ESC's but choosing a value from 2.8/cell upwards in .2 steps.

However, and hopefully someone can confirm this 100%, this is designed around a 2 cell lipo and does not work for the single cell battery we're talking about here. I certainly couldn't get the car to do anything when I had any cutoff set on a GT LPF.

I have the brushless analyser system from Speed Passion and this claims to do the same thing (I have the software installed on the PC) and I couldn't find any "custom" cutoff that I can set

Originally Posted by rdur
I found a cutoff that handles single cell lipos from common sense rc:

http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=196

I just got it tonight, wired it up and it seems to work fine. Haven't cleaned up the wires yet, but some pics are attached.

I raced on Sunday without it. I used the SMC single cell and had no problems with any electronics. although i did feel like my servo was a little slpower than i would have liked.

SpeedPassion GT
Spektrum Micro Receiver
10.5 brushless

no voltage booster or receiver pack.

my runs were draining about 100mah per minute of run time.

I also noticed that speed passion is coming out with a lcd box that can interface with a pc like the castle systems. From the screen shots they have posted, and from the manual that you can download, it looks like you can set the voltage cutoff manually. I have no idea where or how to get it or if it is available yet. here is more information on LCC Professional Program Unit:

http://www.speedpassion.net/product.php?lang=&c=17
Old 12-16-2008, 05:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, that is why i needed the external cutoff. I ran on Sunday with the cutoff turned off on the esc. For a 6-8 minute race, it stayed well within the safe voltage range.

Just re-read the manual for the LCD programming card which does offer one more option than the card that comes with the esc. It says that it will do a custom cutoff in .1 volt increments, but it looks like it would only go down to 3.5 volts. Wouldn't do a lot of good.
Attached Thumbnails SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.-inst.jpg  
Old 12-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hey guys I ran with the single cell lipo speedpasion GT 1.1 no reciever pack 8.5 fantom motor 48mm tires with 48/88 gearing for 11 minutes, on put 2700mah back into the pack.

This was outdoors on a large track.

I must say I was really happy with the lipo just need more motor
Old 12-22-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Last edited by Josh Keller; 09-26-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what is the reciver pack of choice? and what is a good starting rollout for a 13.5 single cell lipo? what else needs to be done to make the car last 8 min.?
thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

Had 3 or 4 guys running the smc 1 cell lipo at the track this weekend in 1/12 stock. They all had great results with no power fade whatsoever. The class was made up of 17.5/4 cell nimh, or 13.5/1 cell lipo. Power was very even and it looked like everyone was on a pretty even playing field.

The future of this class is looking very bright. As a long time 1/12th racer and now hobbyshop and on road carpet track owner, I was a lil worried about the class as a whole when turnout seemed to be on the downslide due to alot of people not wanting to buy nimh cells. I have to say since the release of the lipo pack every week our 1/12th car count increases with more to come.

The 13.5/1c Lipo combo alternative to 17.5/4-cell, although in early form, looks like it has great potential.

btw I believe there were guys running them with Tekin, LRP and Speedpassion. All were running reciever packs with one running the Novak booster (my car).

The novak booster works very well, and you don't have to worry about charging another pack in the car.

I'll try to get some pics of my car setup with the booster on here tomorrow to give an idea of the size and setup configuration.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SPC Racer
what is the reciver pack of choice? and what is a good starting rollout for a 13.5 single cell lipo? what else needs to be done to make the car last 8 min.?
thanks in advance.
most are using a lipo 200 mah receiver pack. Two popular ones are Much More and TOP.

A good starting point has been 45/76 with a 44-45mm tire. This is on a 90x40 track. You may find yourself gearing up on a track of similar size, this is just a starting point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.