Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack. >

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
A big thing to keep in mind fellas, if we're going to make this work in the long term, we really have to be cool about it. We can't push it too hard or do anything stupid with "voltage assist ala receiver pack" stunts. We must keep the long term goal in mind and just not do anything stupid. A lot of us are close to having what we want, let's be smart about it.
+12345
Old 11-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

have mine going in 2 weeks, mine ship to my local shop next friday!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Is there anyway of getting the IR back down again?

Has anyone tried the 1s pack in GT with a 10.5 or lower?
In the UK the GT rules will have a 10.5 class and a Mod class.

Skiddins

Once the IR goes up or the capacity goes down there is nothing to do.

I'm pretty sure that 10.5 would run the same lap times as 13.5 4 cell.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

... A lot of us are close to having what we want, let's be smart about it.
Correction, what is wanted is a 4.8v equivalent, but since we are but small fish in the Battery food chain, we are forced to settle for 3.7, and modify the status qua to accomadate changes desired by some.

No disrespect intended, I'd love to run something more stable and reliable than NiMh I just wish there was other options like the A123 cells or similar, I'd rather mod/replace a chassis than add reciever packs (seems to be a step back 15+ years), and replace speedo to get the right bec or cut-off

Last edited by miller tyme; 11-22-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

My "average Joe plumber 12th scale racer" perspective tells me the speeds we were running last night are what I would almost call ballistic for "stock". A step down in voltage would make stock what stock should be. Fast guys will say that stock is fine how it is, but for the average club guy or newbie, there is way too much potential. Something like this just may be what we need. Pro-stock and mod are there for a reason.

Sure, the details are still in their infancy, but we have to start somewhere.

Give peace a chance Ken. Let's hug a tree together.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by miller tyme
Correction, what is wanted is a 4.8v equivalent, but since we are but small fish in the Battery food chain, we are forced to settle for 3.7, and modify the status qua to accomadate changes desired by some.

No disrespect intended, I'd love to run something more stable and reliable than NiMh I just wish there was other options like the A123 cells or similar, I'd rather mod/replace a chassis than add reciever packs (seems to be a step back 15+ years), and replace speedo to get the right bec or cut-off

With Lipos being 3.7v and LifePo4 cells being 3.3 there is now way to make 4.8v unless you want to keep running sub-c cells. So were not forcing anything on nyone were just trying to help and find some solutions as many dont want to run NiMh cells.

The 3.7v Lipo will give smaller tracks the chance to slow speeds down as everybody seems to agree stock speeds are to fast now.

If you read some of the info on this thread there will be a Booster circuit that will eliminate the need of a reciever pack.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey guys i have been runnning the lipo pack for a couple of days now. it runs awesome. i used a ppd billet lipo tray thing and just cutted it down to fit into the car. i was just wondering what you guys have been gearing them at. i don't run alot of stock, we mainly run 10.5 so i don't have a 17.5 to base the speed of it.

thanks JB Catricala
Old 11-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
The 3.7v Lipo will give smaller tracks the chance to slow speeds down as everybody seems to agree stock speeds are to fast now.
Wouldn't a 21.5 solve the speed issue without any other changes

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
If you read some of the info on this thread there will be a Booster circuit that will eliminate the need of a reciever pack.
I have read the whole thread, Any idea on the size of the booster circuit? 1/12 is a tight fit. Or will it be built into another new speed control?

I for one am tired of matching cells, and have run lipo in both 1/10 sprintcar and my rock crawler, I agree they are way easier.

I also heard that brush-less would be the end all equalizer and Lipo would be the buy 1 battery and forget it, Ben how many 7.4 lipos you buy so far. There is a nice thread on False advertising regarding the "C" rating wars, and the latest capacity capability. So far the only thing I've seen is replacement of one blackart science for another, and buy the latest this or that only it'll will cost 2 times as much but you only have to buy it half as often.

I'm ready for the change, I know it doesn't sound like it but I can't help but feel cautious, and hope this is handled a little more carelully than the rush at the last minute to adopt brushless and lipo was.

I feel ANY attempt to try and equalize it with another technology and run them together is wrong and this should be handled as an entirely new class, and might even be smart to design a motor around the voltage.

A big thing to keep in mind fellas, if we're going to make this work in the long term, we really have to be cool about it. We can't push it too hard or do anything stupid with ...
I think he made my point a little less wordy than I.

Last edited by miller tyme; 11-22-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Ran it today. 13.5 single cell is exactly the same until the cutoff kicks in. I played with gearing to get it to last the whole run. I got to end up being a little bit off pace through the run but not hitting the cutoff until the last 20 seconds. I think once the booster curciut is available it will be perfect.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

JB - what electronics are you running? ESC? Receiver Pack? Thanks
Old 11-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

do you have any graphs/data for battery?
Old 11-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have a Tekin RS. With the Hotwire I think you can turn the voltage cutoff completely off. I'm not sure that will help the hardware issue discussed earlier, but in a week or so I hope to try it out. We have a large oval race next weekend, so us road racers have to take a week off.

I bet this battery would be great in a Legends....
Old 11-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by HoaRC
do you have any graphs/data for battery?
I don't have any graphs at this time as the packs just came in this week.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Company Representative

miller tyme: Racing will always be racing and there will never be a battery that will stay the same or not change as it matures but that being said Lipos are easy to handle and maintain plus they have very good cycle life. Yes there are some packs that are better than others but just because there are new packs coming out every month/week it doesn't mean they are better.

At the moment the Booster is about the size of a speed control but from what I understand it still fits in a 12th scale. I think we will eventually see speed controls with the booster in it.

As far as running 21.5 that would slow the car downs with sub-c packs but you still would need to run sub-c and I know many racers don't want the hassle of sub-c anymore.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ElliotCanada
JB - what electronics are you running? ESC? Receiver Pack? Thanks
hey i am running the tekin rs, lrp motor geared at 45/76, and i ran the mirco t recevier pack, i also took the red wire out of the esc. k thanks. i ran my 17.5 against it. after i posted. it ran the same. but i couldn't get 5 minutes before it felt dumpish

thanks JB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.