Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack. >

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
I just read back 2 pages and must be missing something, clue me in here. Why are some of you turning the ESC switch on with the newer BL ESCs? As far as I've learned, the ESC switch should NOT be turned on when using a Rx pack. I've used Rx packs as far back as the 80's with brushed ESCs and never once had the ESC switch on. Also didn't get any wierd issues either.

If I remember correctly, don't the oval pan car guys run RX packs in certain applications? My Maveric car has miniature cell slots for the old school Sanyo Rx pack.
Leave it off
Old 11-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KHoff7
Leave it off
That's exactly what I said, but I asked why some were turning it on.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
That's exactly what I said, but I asked why some were turning it on.
I personally turned it on because I was not aware that turning it off would help or even work.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Tech Initiate

When will these cell be available in the UK. So far, I haven't come across any shop advertising them for sale.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Has anyone gotten this lipo with Tekin RS? I've read that taking the red lead out and turning both switches on will eliminate dumping feeling. Can someone confirm?

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The RS seems to have some issues on the low voltage. I plan to try mine this Friday. I picked up a killer deal on a Sphere for backup, so far it seems to do OK. I only think the RS' advantages are the ease of programming and footprint. If I have to use a Sphere, I think I'll be just as good off.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jgee888
Has anyone gotten this lipo with Tekin RS? I've read that taking the red lead out and turning both switches on will eliminate dumping feeling. Can someone confirm?

Thanks.
I run a Tekin RS in my 1/12 scale. Although I run 4 cell, I have run an RX pack in my car to get maximum voltage to my servo, receiver, and transponder. I had to remove the red wire from the servo connector to prevent the ESC from using the RX pack to power the motor. I noticed a problem with power issues when I first ran the Tekin RS with the RX pack. I spoke to Tekin about it, they told me to remove the red wire from the connector to solve this problem. Once I made this change, the power issue went away. Both switches do need to be turned on to make everything work. I'm thinking about getting this new SMC 3.7 LiPo and trying it out.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I think this was tried, but then several hundred mahs started coming up missing from the receiver pack. The thought is that the receiver pack was bleeding through the system and potentially helping run the motor.

Proceed with caution, take notes, and keep us posted.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Has anyone used the single cell lipo in mod? I'm wondering if you'll make runtime with a 5.5 when geared to match speed with nimh runners... I'd guess not
Old 11-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague
I run a Tekin RS in my 1/12 scale. Although I run 4 cell, I have run an RX pack in my car to get maximum voltage to my servo, receiver, and transponder. I had to remove the red wire from the servo connector to prevent the ESC from using the RX pack to power the motor. I noticed a problem with power issues when I first ran the Tekin RS with the RX pack. I spoke to Tekin about it, they told me to remove the red wire from the connector to solve this problem. Once I made this change, the power issue went away. Both switches do need to be turned on to make everything work. I'm thinking about getting this new SMC 3.7 LiPo and trying it out.
I had a voltage boost modual rated for 1.5A max on my 3.7V test setup and it powered up the RS just fine with no hassles and the would hold the servo at full beyond the SAVERS hold point. The only hassle I had was when I accidently turned on the RS and it either back feed into my modual or bleed current directly into the motor/battery side of the ESC resulting in a $5 modual puffing. Either way, I'm just going to use a RX pack and leave the RS in the off position. A piece of heatshrink over the ESC switch will prevent future mishaps.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Company Representative

You will not be able to match the speeds of 4 cell pack if you plan on using a 5.5 motor. I think you would need to use a 3.5. That being said our one cell Lipo has roughly 425 seconds of runtime at 35 amp discharge. A good pack of 4600s will cycle out around 465-470 but Lipos seem to run more effeciently than NiMh cells so runtime should be similar.

I think it needs to be tested as the dumpy feeling may be much more apparent due to extra voltage drop created by the lower turn motors.

Our goal to go with a 4000mAh pack is to try and slowdown the mod class. So if you can't make time with a 3.5 and have to use a 5.5 then it will drop the speeds.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
I think this was tried, but then several hundred mahs started coming up missing from the receiver pack. The thought is that the receiver pack was bleeding through the system and potentially helping run the motor.

Proceed with caution, take notes, and keep us posted.
As soon as I get my grubby little paws on one of these packs, I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Our goal to go with a 4000mAh pack is to try and slowdown the mod class. So if you can't make time with a 3.5 and have to use a 5.5 then it will drop the speeds.
Thats all well and good once single cell becomes standard but out here there is no push to slow 12th down so I can't see people switching from nimh until there is an alternative for 4 cell thats competetive with people still running numh. I've gone lipo for my TC (SMC's naturally ) so want to switch for 12th but at the moment it doesn't look like there are many options. I have a 3.5 from 5 cell mod that I no longer use so I might pick up one of the packs and do some testing
Old 11-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Company Representative

I understand we can't have the perfect solution for every track. I was asked to put less capacity in this pack by Josh Cyrul as he told me the speeds now are way to fast. If you the racers like going this fast then 4 cells are the way to go. The problem is that it will be getting harder to find fresh suc-c race cells as Lipos keep taking over.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Are you folks using voltage regulators with receiver packs? If not why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.