Wiki Posts
Search

Best cheap onroad car for bringing someone into the racing scene

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Best cheap onroad car for bringing someone into the racing scene

Im new to the forum. Hello everyone

Im trying to convince my friends to get into the 1/10 sedan carpet racing scene with me.(stock or silver can with rubber tires) Just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what car would be the best overall bang for buck for a complete RTR for under $300 or $400 at most. Something low maintenance preferably. Thanks.
Ive got my eye on a TC4 for him.....i own one and its held up great. Any other ideas would be great!
thx
Danno
Old 11-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

cyclone S... advantage there is you can build it and still stay under your budget. i feel like that first build right out of the box is an awesome experience.

ta05 is good... but only if you can get some parts built up or have other to steal setups off of.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Rookie

cool...thanks for the quick reply. I know what you mean there. I built my TC5 and i loved it....it helps you race too, because when it breaks u know what to do. Cyclone S hey.....hmmm thx...im gonna go look it up on the net.
Peace
danno
Old 11-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If used is an option, check the for sale forum for XRay T2's (pre 008) or Corally RDX's...since the 008 and the Phi came out these cars are going for a song, and both brands dominate carpet racing. Put the money you save on the used car toward quality electronics, and don't forget to set aside 75-100 for a PT if your track requires them. If buying new, Cyclone S gets +1. Good luck!

-rocky b
Old 11-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Rookie

damn......the cyclone S is only $164 on Horizon!! and atleast he can put a descent esc in the thing as apposed to the tc4s shitter.....that thing has mad throttle lag and cutouts. Whats a good low cost esc that will be solid and fast for silver can or 27t? Does anyone have any experience with a Novak XRS Reversible Sport ESC? Also whats a good steering servo in the $50 price range?
Thanks for your help everyone
this forum rocks
later
danno

P.s.

Last edited by A main Danno; 11-19-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Tech Adept

You cannot use a reversible ESC when racing. You need a forward only ESC.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tell him to pick up a used Novak GTX. Great speedo, and it has solder tabs so your can cut your wires and then replace them later if you move the ESC to a different car. Plus it has no motor limit so he can "grow" with his car if he decieds to step it up a notch.

Jay
Old 11-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Im sure the esc has atleast 3 programs, one of which will kill the reverse. sorry, the gtx is awsome but i was looking for something around the $70 mark. Any ideas on a around $70 esc and $50 servo......?Does anyone have any experience with a Novak Gts or XRS? Is novak the way to go?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

IMO I would stay away from LPR AI speedos. I had one (the AI Bullet) and I really didn't like it. The two main things that I didn't like was that there was NO setup, and the brakes SUCKED, oh yeah and I couldn't disable reverse. It was all my fault I should have researched it better before I bought it.

Just my opinion

Jay
Old 11-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Tech Champion

I only quit using my ta05 for 2 years solid as I got a lighter more advanced chassis to race with, but for me the '05 is a great, well built carpet car, and can be upgraded as and when if you get the urge to.

The only "essential" upgrades (imo) are universal driveshafts in the front, alloy toe blocks and trf shocks, but even the stock items will do for a while.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pyro18t
Tell him to pick up a used Novak GTX. Great speedo, and it has solder tabs so your can cut your wires and then replace them later if you move the ESC to a different car. Plus it has no motor limit so he can "grow" with his car if he decieds to step it up a notch.

Jay
+1 pickone up second hand
Old 11-20-2008, 01:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by A main Danno
Im sure the esc has atleast 3 programs, one of which will kill the reverse. sorry, the gtx is awsome but i was looking for something around the $70 mark. Any ideas on a around $70 esc and $50 servo......?Does anyone have any experience with a Novak Gts or XRS? Is novak the way to go?
You can pick up a good servo with enough speed and power for carpet racing around $30 I would think and use the other $20 on a higher end USED ESC(GTX) . Besides is he even sure that he's going to like racing? No need to buy a bunch of new parts at full price when there are great deals on this site in the for sale section.

Jay
Old 11-20-2008, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

for your speed control have him order this, great for the money and will allow him not be bottlenecked by the resistance in a speedo with reverse. Generally speedo's with reverse have more voltage drop than speedo's without.

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...s&pn=TEKTT1045
Old 11-20-2008, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc3team
I only quit using my ta05 for 2 years solid as I got a lighter more advanced chassis to race with, but for me the '05 is a great, well built carpet car, and can be upgraded as and when if you get the urge to.

The only "essential" upgrades (imo) are universal driveshafts in the front, alloy toe blocks and trf shocks, but even the stock items will do for a while.
agreed, parts support isn't needed as it's so strong
Old 11-20-2008, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Cyclone S or Ta05 cars are cheap and fully upgradable with parts easy to find and low costs.

ESC & Motor: Novak Sport system should be OK

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVWB9&P=7

Radio/Receiver: Get the Futaba 3PM 2.4ghz Fast, or Airtronics MX-3FHSS 3-Channel 2.4GHz Tx/Rx

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPZT7&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSGB0&P=ML

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.