Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Anyone have any problems with Trinity motors? >

Anyone have any problems with Trinity motors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone have any problems with Trinity motors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Default Anyone have any problems with Trinity motors?

I bought a 9t single arm. Practiced with it 2-3 min before my qualifier and than 4 min into the qualifier the motor suddenly stopped dead in its tracks. One of the windings burst.

Do you guys think this is a factory defect? Did anyone else encounter this problem.

Here is a pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any problems with Trinity motors?-im000615.jpg  
Old 10-05-2003, 04:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you most likely overgeared
Old 10-05-2003, 04:15 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Judging by the burned commutator, the motor overheated. This could be due to the wrong gearing, or to a defect that caused something to loosen up and then bind inside the can.

Try contacting Trinity to see what they say. In most cases they won't do anything for you, but I have heard of them replacing armatures occasionally.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Even if there was a problem in the car Trinity won't help you because you put it together yourself.....

You may have had 3 problems.
1.overgearing (most likely)
2.binding (you would have heard this long before that extensive damage occurred
3.Too much timing

a few words of wisdom----

-- NEVER EVER replace an arm in your motor minutes before a heat or main

---ALWAYS ALWAYS take plenty of time finding the right gearing for YOUR motor not the right gearing that joe across the road uses!!!

--- If you don't know how to get the best timing for your motor stay around or below 12 deg.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

In my opinion Trinity is one big joke. Check out this thread and you'll see what I mean http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=16144
Old 10-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

After looking agian I have to ask.... WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!?!

1st I would never do that to an arm

2nd If I did do that to an arm I would never take a pic of it or show anyone...ever....

Smile dude we all make mistakes..... we just all don't put them on a forum for the whole world to see!!LOL

Me+RC-- if you had looked t the pic you would know it had nothing todo with any trinity QC problems....
Old 10-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
2nd If I did do that to an arm I would never take a pic of it or show anyone...ever....
Old 10-05-2003, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

I really doubt the motor was overgeared, it worked perfect in practice and I even thought it was 1 tooth undergeared as it topped out too early and I usually geared my other 9t motors 1 tooth higher but wanted to be safe with runtime since I never tried this motor I geared it 1 lower. When I pulled it off the practice run everything was fine, comm and brush wear was fine, brushes weren't discoloured or anything and the motor wasn't even hot and comm wear was minimal.

The comm looks worn in the pic probably because of all the smoke and crap that happened after it sezied up. That is not brush wear believe me. I would never be that stupid to actually post a picture if I did actually overgear the motor and make a fool of myself on the forum.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:19 PM
Tech Regular

The motor was geared at 28/98 on a tc3 with 58mm foams on a 100 foot long outdoor track . As far as I am concerned with all the other motors I have that wouldn't be overgeared.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:28 PM

lol i kinda had the same thing except it was only the comm part.
and it was not! overgeared. i actually undergeared it so i could work my way up. on a 11 double

after seeing that i'll never buy a trinity motor again
Old 10-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

I checked the pic out, he definately had that geared to the roof, or Trinity really screwed up, that comm was black! I'm still anti-trinity though
Old 10-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

rcpilot, if youre who I think you are, I doubt if you overgeared. Youre MK, right?

The problem with the motor is that its a Trinity. With the new high voltage cells, T motors are throwing winds like never before.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default hold on

i used to dislike trinity, just because the reliability factor was low, so i went to reedy, and guess what, just like rcpilot, i busted a wind, yeah, reedy has it too. I overgeared it, i know that, because i could he sizzling during my race, and smoke came out when i lifted my body. So i am now back to trinty motors. Every motor has a weakness, reedy has heat, trinity has reliablity, but every motor can be overgeared. Trinity is a good company, and make good motors, but breaking a wind is the drivers fault, okay.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Paperboy: Ya thats me.

I haven't had much luck with the new d5 line of motors lately, liked the p-94's much better. Bought a brand new d5 once and opened up the motor to cut the comm and guess what, I found a cracked magnet straight from the box. Luckily trinity replaced that one.

Also just noticed that the place where the wire broke was only .012 inches in thickness while the rest of the wire on the arm is .017-.018 inches in thickness.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:41 PM

u sure it isnt just melted really bad there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.