R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Best batteries for bashing Nicd or Nimh (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/25382-best-batteries-bashing-nicd-nimh.html)

pecor 10-04-2003 07:58 AM

Best batteries for bashing Nicd or Nimh

Need to get some new packs for my son and I for practice and bashing, I have been using Nicd with good results, I was talking to my LHS and they said to use Nimh they said that they are better for multiple charge and discharge cycles as long as they return to room temp B-4 recharging, Now I may be wrong {old school} but I thought Nicd was the best for this?? And Nimh's were best charged one or time's a day?? We just picked up a pit bull charger so so we can do both now. School me please! Thanks.

RCGaryK 10-04-2003 09:19 AM

Nope, pick up NiMH packs. They do get better each time they are charged as long as they are allowed to cool off between runs. NiCads are generally best for only one run per day, with a noticeable drop in each subsequent charge.

The Pit Bull charger you picked up is one of the best on the market. I have both a Turbo and a Pit Bull, and Competition Electronics definately didn't skimp on the Pit Bull.

Gary

holycow 10-04-2003 10:05 AM

Id have to dissagree. NiCads are much more tollerant of charge and discharge techniques, and are generally more "tough". NiMH cells are more picky, and are easier to charge/discharge/run incorrectly.. I would personally go with some cheap, unmatched sanyo 2400s for bashing.

popsracer 10-04-2003 10:11 AM

Best batteries for bashing Nicd or Nimh

The GP3300's are very tough cells indeed and even less $$ than most 2400 packs now a days.

Just buy some un-matched GP3300's and charge them at 4 amps.

Your Pit Bull charger will keep them nice and safe. (just remember to cool down to ambient before recharging)

Most importantly, have fun.

lilshortyc3 10-04-2003 10:13 AM

NiCd are supposedly only be charged one or two times a day. NiMh can be charged multiple times and they do last long and have a higher voltage overall :lol:. Go get some GP3300's, they will last you a while!!!:nod:

JohnA 10-04-2003 10:16 AM

Originally posted by holycow
Id have to dissagree. NiCads are much more tollerant of charge and discharge techniques, and are generally more "tough". NiMH cells are more picky, and are easier to charge/discharge/run incorrectly.. I would personally go with some cheap, unmatched sanyo 2400s for bashing.
Not correct.

Ni-cads will deteriorate very quickly if you charge then muliple times in one day, Ni-Mh cells can be re-peaked without any side-effects as long as they are given a couple of hours to cool off between charges.

You can pick up GP3300's for $30.00 as loose cells or made up into stick packs these will provide great run-time, punch, and last ages, ni-cads are definetely old news as far as cell technology goes.

RCGaryK 10-04-2003 11:04 AM

Originally posted by holycow
You've got your battery tech flip-flopped. NiCads generally require much more maintainence, discharge trays, equilization, etc. I have also never had very good results with 2400s either. You also must realize that Nicads are more prone to developing a "memory" then NiMH batteries are.

I just finished a piece coming up in a near issue that describes basic battery maintence. It addresses things such as this, delta peak, discharging, storage, etc.

Gary

pecor 10-04-2003 11:11 AM

Ok, great guys Nimh is what I will go with! Thanks a Lot you guys are great!!!!!!

Steve Bahnatka 10-04-2003 03:28 PM

yeh use ni-mh