R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #46
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

It's all about the dollar bill. There are not alot of people who want to spend their money traveling 5,000 miles right now. Secondly every other electric class has found a very budget friendly way to run. So, why does 1/12th scale still need to run 4cell? I bet a 2s2p a123 pack would give you right around the same voltage as those 4 cell setups & be super user friendly. If people believe that they can endure an 8 minute race w/ a 6 turn mod & a 6.6volt 2300mah battery then more power to them.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #47
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear

2004 12th worlds in Florida.
From memory the entry was 69
I finished 34th yaaaaay
And the racing was great to be part of.
Team Tekin www.teamtekin.com
B-Fast R/C Performance www.bfastrc.com
AKA www.raceaka.com
Ryper Hobbies www.ryperhobbies.com.au
fatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #48
Tech Fanatic

hey all: Yes the 12th pancar turnout at the '08 worlds may have been low,but there were many factors. Some say it was because it was on asphalt and not carpet like in '06,but i think there are other factors involved as well. For one the economy isn't great in the usa so many racers didn't travel there and for this reason i think the istc sedan class will have a better turn out than 12th pancar did,but lower than at resent ifmar on road worlds. Two it was on asphalt and not carpet,but in ifmar's defence the drivers new this way in advance so they should have been prepared. Finally most races from the usa don't or arn't willing to travel internationaly as much as non-usa drivers are.. Thanks
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mark Payne View Post
Sosidge does not have to be a 12th "regular" ... he just needs to be a 12th racer and I'm yet to be convinced that he is... I may be wrong.
Hello Mark, I have raced 12th. Sorry but my track time is limited to one national meeting some years ago and a few practice runs with my own and other people's cars.

Sorry that my opinion is not valid due to not having your extensive experience.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #50
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Carpet...asphalt...big deal which you run on. Your at least able to enjoy your hobby! I would like to run on carpet ONLY because it is cleaner. With asphalt I am able to enjoy the sunshine....and wind I would MUCH prefer to run outside. Living in the sunshine state does help. It wouldn't make much sense to have an outdoor asphalt track in Seattle.
OOMSGFX.COM (no longer painting, but take a look for fun!), Roadrunners RC Club
"Racing drivers have balls, unfortunately, none of them are crystal" (David Coulthard)
"I believe the average IQ of a NASCAR fan is only marginally above the things that hit the windscreen during the race. "
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #51
Tech Fanatic

I don't quite understand how recommending that all 12th IFMAR Worlds be run on carpet is any different from someone insisting that they be run on asphalt. No one is forcing anyone to run anything anywhere - it's a voluntary sport, not a living. IFMAR isn't there to make the races user-friendly, it is there to organise them!

As for turning up and not being competitive, whatever the entry, only ten people are in with a chance to win an IFMAR 12th title every two years. However many others turn up, we are there to make up the numbers.

Ted Longshaw, whose unstinting efforts led to the formation of IFMAR, and thus the opportunity to have this discussion, said that "it isn't the races you go to you remember, it's the friends you make." Perhaps the best reason for having a large entry is to make even more friends? It's a thought that has served me well for many years...
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote