Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
·New TakeOff dish wheel VS Cross spoke wheel· >

·New TakeOff dish wheel VS Cross spoke wheel·

·New TakeOff dish wheel VS Cross spoke wheel·

Old 10-01-2003, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Default ·New TakeOff dish wheel VS Cross spoke wheel·

So guys what's your opinions on the new dish wheel, for my track I personally do not like them-handling wise that is. They feel as if they have more of an air gap or looser insert-not real sure.

Last edited by webspinner; 10-01-2003 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:58 AM
Tech Adept

The only thing that we have seen from switching from the spoke wheel to the dish is the dishes seem to be breaking the centers out of them. The last couple of state races we have seen somewhere around 7 to 10 wheels break during the race weekend. But other than that, haven't seen any performance differences. The dishes seem to keep their shape a little better than the spoke wheels from what I have seen.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

CAD- i could not agree with you more, on a parking lot track, where most of us race the spoke wheels work better, they are softer which help on ruff bumpy tracks, but the dish should work better on smooth tracks with med. to high traction. the change just adds another tuning option.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

So is there anyone racing on a smooth flat track that prefers them over the cross wheel?
Old 10-02-2003, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Bought two sets of these new Take Off dish rims thinking they were going to be better then their spoke wheel. About the fifth race on that set last Friday night on carpet during the main I am halfway through the large sweeper when I see my wheel go rolling one way and my car spinning out. At first I thought I had forgotten to tighten the wheel nut and when I gather the car up I see that the axle mount portion of the wheel has spun out of the rim??? THis was on a darn near new wheel set that I had not even hit a wall with yet... The rest of these tires went in the crap box and back to my Ofnas or Cross rims with Pit tires.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Now that does bite, sorry to hear that fastrak. Did the new premount seem faster than the cross premount-that was untill the hex hub decided to take a crap on ya. Thanx Fastrak.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

For stock or 19t that I run, nothing different was noticeable. I was thinking the dish would hold up better and keep more true over time. I am going back to the standard white Cross rims as they never failed me before and using the Pits 24R and 27R.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Default ·New TakeOff dish wheel VS Cross spoke wheel·

Guys;

IMHO, the new Dish Wheels look identical to the Yokomo Presision Dish Wheels. The shallow Hex and material, etc. I too have Broken the Hexes out in my Nitro Cars. For this reason, I save the stiff wheels for my Electric Car.

Question: Are the Spoke Wheels still avalible in the Pre-mounts ?

Thanks,
Old 10-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have run both back to back,on a smooth carpet surface the new wheel is faster for me. The old wheel would warp pretty easy, and they went to the dish becuase of the warping problems. I have broken wheel centers. Then again, guys of my skill level have broken none. I would like to see them on a dish wheel more like the tamiya dish. It has more support for the hex on the backside of the wheel.

Ohh well, They are still the best deal out there and perform great.

POPS, I don't think they still are, only what is in the supply channel.

Maybe PW can comment on it.

Last edited by TimPotter; 10-03-2003 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I like the new dishes for one reason. They're stright. When I got my spec tires for the Reedy race and tried to balance them, Not only was I having to put more weight on than it was worth, but they looked like potato chips on the balancer. When I got the new ones, very little balaning was needed and much more true. Not great still but better than the cross wheels. I still think HPI makes the best dish wheels out there. But they're $$$
Old 10-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by jkerr0043
I like the new dishes for one reason. They're stright. When I got my spec tires for the Reedy race and tried to balance them, Not only was I having to put more weight on than it was worth, but they looked like potato chips on the balancer. When I got the new ones, very little balaning was needed and much more true. Not great still but better than the cross wheels. I still think HPI makes the best dish wheels out there. But they're $$$
Really??? I never really liked the hpi rims. I love the new yokomo persision rims though. Seems to be strong, light, and very stiff. They stay true forever too.

-Sushi Boy
Old 10-02-2003, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Default take offs

the old take off were warping bad, but i never broke one! i heard they went to a different wheel to cut cost, i can understand, 4wheels, tires, inserts for $30 is the best deal going.... if they last. if they're gonna bust i one night, they're junk. steve at Speed Tech has pre-built sorex's with sorex, hpi, or yok inserts.... 4 wheels, tires, inserts for $38 if the TakeOff problems continue i'll go back to sorex, the only reason i quit running them was because the value that the takeoff's once presented.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Only the HPI dish wheels. Any others were crap. I do like the Yokomo's too.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My opinion is that I hate them.... the Dish wheels. Before I complained about the Cross wheels due to warping. Then I got the dish, but they seemed very odd for some reason. Not like my Tamiya or Yokomo Aerodish wheels. I was happy however that they remained true. But something just wasn't right. I ended up goin back to the Cross wheels. Also it's good to hear about the wheels falling off. At least now I know it wasn't a fluk incident. A friend was leading the Amain in a Spec Touring Race when his wheel fell off right in front us as we watched. He yelled at us because we put the wheels on his car and the thought it was just the wheel nut. When we saw it was the wheel that was busted clean off... we busted out laughing! So now I know....

Anyways, I'm goin back to mounting my own tires. The Takeoff inserts seem to break down too fast. Blah blah blah blah.... I would like to try the newer Takeoffs though....
Old 10-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

fyi, I have 1 package of the 32's and 1 package of the 22's with the spoke wheels left in stock. We also stock the spoke wheels 8 per package.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.