Wiki Posts
Search

Drift Car Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default Drift Car Recommendations

I am an 1/8 scale off road guy but I want to buy a drift car to mess around with. I don't want a pos and I don't mind spending a little $$ to get something that will hold up. I was looking at that traxxas rally 1/16 but limitations on wheel and tire combos and a few other things made me look elsewhere. I have never driven an onroad car and I'm not really planning on competing with it. I have plenty of 2s 50c packs. I would use my own ko radio and I can upgrade the servo. I see hpi has a drift specific rtr car and then there are several others. Any suggestions and why.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Tamiya TA05 VDF.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
Tamiya TA05 VDF.
That car looks sweet but very complicated.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Well there are other drift purpose cars. But you said you didn't mind spending the cash, and you didn't want a POS.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
Well there are other drift purpose cars. But you said you didn't mind spending the cash, and you didn't want a POS.
That's true. Just looking for something easy to tune and will work well out of the box. I'll consider the Tamiya. What motor combu would you use?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Frank L
I am an 1/8 scale off road guy but I want to buy a drift car to mess around with. I don't want a pos and I don't mind spending a little $$ to get something that will hold up. I was looking at that traxxas rally 1/16 but limitations on wheel and tire combos and a few other things made me look elsewhere. I have never driven an onroad car and I'm not really planning on competing with it. I have plenty of 2s 50c packs. I would use my own ko radio and I can upgrade the servo. I see hpi has a drift specific rtr car and then there are several others. Any suggestions and why.

Thanks in advance.
Tamiya TT-01 is a great intro car, if you are more experienced get the TA-05, Yokomo Spec D, ABC Genetic, HPI Sprint 2. I don't recommend Team Associated TC ANYTHING, Nitro Anything, or Red Cat. The car you buy also depends on if you prefer belt driven or shaft driven. Shaft is easier to maintain in my eyes, and belt has better response but is a pain in the ass. If you live in So Cal, check out "Drift Jam" every Wednesday night at Cal Raceway. calraceway.com
Old 03-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Frank L
That's true. Just looking for something easy to tune and will work well out of the box. I'll consider the Tamiya. What motor combu would you use?
For drift I can only recommend running a Sensored motor. Buy the Tamiya TT-01, get a Sensored esc with a minimum of a 9.5 turn motor. It will work Perfect. For better handling, use ball diffs all the way around. check out the ABC Genetic. You might like it.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Lord

Thanks for the response. I was looking at the hpi spirit 2 looks like it might work for me. But any other info is greatly apprecitated.