hey
is this discharger ok for the new GP3300's or not
what does it discharge the batteries @
and what does it take the voltage town to
thanks
Jarrad
Old 10-01-2003, 11:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

I use it on my 3300's with no problems. I'm not sure at what rate it discharges the pack. I take my packs down on a 20amp discharger first anyway (it speeds up things). And just pull the pack off when the lights go out.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Default Trinity Real Time 2 Discharger

acid_rain182;

I also have a RT2 and use it with my GP3300's all the time. Just unscrew each cell as the light(s) go out.

Also I couldn't find any information relating directly to your question, even on the Team Trinity website.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:32 PM
Tech Adept

The Real Time 2 uses a 10 Watt 0.2 ohm ceramic resistor across each cell for discharging

Last edited by calvin; 10-01-2003 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

is there a way to modify the RT2 so that it will cutoff at a certain voltage per cell? i do watch my cells while discharging and unscrew the contacts when the leds go off. but im too lazy anyone here tried soldering in a cutoff device?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

I try to unscrew the cells as the lights go out. But sometimes I forget, but I've never had a problem with taking the pack down too far. Actually SMC I think reccomends dead shorting their cells, I've never done it though. So discharging it on a tray couldn't be too bad for them I understand if you take them down too far it can sometimes be a problem.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Default Trinity Real Time 2 Discharger

marvi;

This is my sole reason for using the Reactor 30 at the Track. This way I can leave the pack unattended while it's discharging and not worry about having the pack down too low.

**For those of you that have a Reactor 30, I have resoldered the + lead on the Fan to operate ONLY while discharging.**

racerdx6;

I tried the SMC dead shorting technique for several weeks and was NOT happy with the results at all. I use the Reactor 30 at the track, then tray my Packs the night before a race (keeping an eye on them). This has produced consistant pack performance weekend to weekend.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, dead shorting didn't seem like something I would want to do. So I've never tried. I'd rather just keep doing the same things for my packs. Using a good ol' tray . No problems yet.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by calvin
The Real Time 2 uses a 10 Watt 0.2 ohm ceramic resistor across each cell for discharging
At 1,2 volt per cell, this equals 6 amps (Ohms law: U=RxI, means voltage = resistance x amps. So in this case it's 1,2 volt divided by 0,2 ohm, giving 6 amps).

As the voltage decreases, the amps decrease also.

Since there's no cut off device, the RT2 goes all the way down to zero volt, which is equivalent to dead shorting. Except that each cell is discharged individually, so there's no risk of cell reversing.

But that doesnt nessecarily means thet the cells like to go down to zero volts. Thus the advice of taking the cells of, when the light goes out.

Next to taking the cells of when the lights goes out, there's a couple of other choises:

The Integy SP Saddle Relay Cut-off Discharger 5A.

Or use a fast discharger like the Octane 2 in combination with a slow equalizer like this:

Discharge characteristics:
- rapid discharge of the packs cells to an defined discharge level
- automatic cut-off prevents deep discharge
- Equalizing the cells discharge level to each other
- more life-time and higher performance for each cell

Singel Cell Discharger Features:
- Automatic Cut Off for NiMH & NiCd
- 1 Amp Discharge Current
- Indication for each cell
- for packs with and without Battery Connector
- Box is usable for storage and carrying of batteries