Wiki Posts
Search

'Bout darn time...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 06:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default 'Bout darn time...

Hey guys... looks like we finally have an indoor carpet track opening up in Phoenix (actually Tempe) Arizona.
BIG track... they're doing everything from 1/18 scale to 1/10th indoors, then they're working on an outdoor dirt oval and offroad for 1/10 and 1/8, and the have permission to use the place next doors parking lot on weekends for 1/4 scale! they've got indoor pits for 30 people, first come first serve, and what's shaping up to be a nice hobby shop. They've only been open a week, and are looking to start races next weekend.
Here's the question... I've had a TC3, and a Schumacher Axis2, awhile back, and am starting up from scratch again... I know most people are very brand loyal, but I'm looking for your opinions on what is the best overall touring car for carpet? The Barracuda seems very impressive, but I KNOW the shop will be stocked with Associated and Losi parts. I'm an average driver, but like to enjoy myself, and have a car I don't have to fight all the time. I LOVED my Shuie Axis2, and am pissed at myself for getting rid of it and the BOXES of spare parts... I'm leaning towards a XXXS G+, but am open minded.
Release the hounds...let's here the opinions...

Thanks guys!

Ron
Old 09-27-2003, 07:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've never had one but friends have, and if you're looking for a car you don't have to fight with, I'd stay away from the cuda.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ron, almost sounds like you answered your own question. Go with the TC3. And if you want to upgrade it after you're up to speed....take a good look at the Warpspeed Demon conversion for it. That should keep you busy without to much hassle. Good Luck
Old 09-27-2003, 09:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

I always loved the schumacher cars because of their durability their tuning ability. I also love how they have an incredible amount of turn-in speed. Well if you likeaxis2, Im pretty sure you'll love the new Mission.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Congrats on the track in your area. At least you'll have a place to go race. Goodluck.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

well, what are the drivers at the track running?

i would find the fast non-sponsored guys

find out what they are running, and see if the place stocks parts

here at socal, we have many drivers that run many different cars, and the losi is a fast car, but i would assume that a shaft would be better for carpet

(i dont race on carpet so i could be wrong)
Old 09-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Tech Regular

and no warpspeed chassis, they are just big piles of $H!T
Old 09-28-2003, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

Fresh track. No one has EVER raced on it... they're hoping for their first race this coming weekend I believe. I don't think I could go wrong with either a Losi or TC3, but I also am one of those eclectic people who like to play with something a little different.
I LOVED my Axis2... wish I still had it. Am contemplating a Mission, XRay, or Barracuda... Would jump on an Axis 2 if I could find a good car with lots of spares like I had!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No one has EVER raced on it...
This should be fun....
Old 09-29-2003, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

bubbles shut up already!

a good car to start up with is the associated for the price and the reliabilaty you cant go wrong as far as the demon conversion i own the origional prototype
the car works you can go to warpseeds thread and email him for a quote on a complete kit , or if not just stay in the associated family!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Where's this track located (address). How does it compare to Competetition Hobbies in Tucson?

E
Old 09-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default XRAY EVO2

Cannot go wrong with this car. It is just absolutely awesome right out of the box. I have had the FTTC3 and the XXX-S GP and I am just considerably faster with the EVO2. The car is extremely durable and tunable.

Later, Enjoy the new track, sounds awesome!
Old 09-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by bubbles
and no warpspeed chassis, they are just big piles of $H!T
Listen to Bubbles he's the fastest driver in the Novice Q main every week at SoCal! He suffers from Warpspeed Demon envy.

Seriously though, The X-ray Evo2, or T1R would be excellent choices, as would the NEW Schumacher MI2 which they're about to release. The ONLY plastic chassis'd car I'd ever BUY for carpet racing would be the X-ray T1R. A TC3 has to be milled and ground to move the batteries close enough to the center line to make it handle on carpet, and you have to go through a TON of work to free up the drivetrain. The X-ray just falls together, is far more durable, and in my opinion drives way better.

I won't comment on the xxx-s, There isn't that much right that I can find in the car for carpet, especially on foams. Righteous asphalt car though.

Last edited by CypressMidWest; 09-29-2003 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Warpseed Demon Chassis

I have heard nothing but good things about the Warspeed Demon Chassis. One of our local guys has one coming, be interested to see how one really works.

Later,
Old 09-29-2003, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Fike... I don't have the address, but it's on the northwest corner of Southern and Roosevelt. Roosevelt is about 1/2 way between Mill and Priest.

Thanks for the info guys...
What's different on the Mission2 from the original?

R