Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2889Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 07-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
I disagree about the speeds. First of all the current 25.5's are faster than the last gen 21.5's. We are running faster laps now than we were before and trust me when I say I fought it! And hated the idea of a "slower" motor. I don't feel like the bodies make much of a difference but for sure the front and rear wings do. Spent hours last weekend testing just wings mainly front. To test this all you have to do is remove the wing and put a piece of lead in the front that weighs about the same. We did that and it wasn't even close. Same with the rear.
Wings will make a difference at all speeds, but I still had to choose the lightest wings for my fgx, saving 4grams in the front wing by removing the screwed in winglets, and saving 11+grams in the rear by switching to a trg wing... Lighter is better !!!
Old 07-10-2017, 05:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Not saying the wings don't work at all...just there is not a big difference between X Y and Z besides the weight.

If you have tested a bunch of wings, compare your notes on their handling and then weigh the wings. I would bet there is a correlation between the weight and how they work.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

My opinion is that its better to look good than to feel good, and you know who you are
G-rem and Mr Brooksy like this.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Not saying the wings don't work at all...just there is not a big difference between X Y and Z besides the weight.

If you have tested a bunch of wings, compare your notes on their handling and then weigh the wings. I would bet there is a correlation between the weight and how they work.
serpent wing as tested 22.2g
AE wing as tested 30.1
PF wing 23.2

with corner winglets removed the Serpent wing is the lightest at 20.7
With corner winglets removed the AE is 27.9
Havent tested this way yet

Out of those 3 the serpent felt the worst although it was the lightest, AE felt bad but not as bad as the serpent but the PF wing was like a totally different car. looking at the three wings the PF is the least aggressive. I think its a combo of both. I like the way the AE wing looks so i will take a dremel to it and see if i can get it to work.

I am torn on rear wings though and i think the side dams make more of a difference than the actual foils. Will test this weekend. I am also on treated asphalt, large track with high speeds. could be a different story on carpet which is where i will be running on this weekend!

Last edited by MantisWorx; 07-10-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm with Rob on front wings. Minor downforce, but some. Overall weight on the nose in front of the wheels has an impact. Having suffered through the FGX front wing and the F2012, I'm now leaning more toward the function (front bumper) over over form (best looking wing). We have to keep in mind that the front wing is really a bumper. No wing is perfect, but those who still have 4 wheels on the ground and aren't dragging parts have a pretty decent chance of finishing the race.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

From my experience the rear wing makes a bigger difference to handling then the front wing. On my car I've run the stock Xray (lexan) wing, the associated, the Protoform and the Tamiya J wing. Performance wise there wasn't much difference. If I had to pick I'd say the Protoform wing felt the best but it wasn't a night and day difference between them. I currently am running the Tamiya J wings as its incredibly durable and sits high enough to not rub the track or get wedged under a board. For the rear wing I've used the stock Xray wing and the Protoform wing. I found the Protoform wing gave a ton of steering compared to the Xray one. Wing placement however also has a huge affect on the cars handling, so results can vary.
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I'm with Rob on front wings. Minor downforce, but some. Overall weight on the nose in front of the wheels has an impact. Having suffered through the FGX front wing and the F2012, I'm now leaning more toward the function (front bumper) over over form (best looking wing). We have to keep in mind that the front wing is really a bumper. No wing is perfect, but those who still have 4 wheels on the ground and aren't dragging parts have a pretty decent chance of finishing the race.
The 2012 i think was 50g, that was a mess! and i agree that any weight that far in front of the front axle is goign to make a hug difference. But wiht that being said we Jones and i (he drives a roche) only changed the front wing and went from literally spining on every high speed corner to damn near beating track record on a non race day. it did effect our cars differently though, his still had some oversteer and mine had none. regardless its fun to play with!

Originally Posted by RobS
From my experience the rear wing makes a bigger difference to handling then the front wing. On my car I've run the stock Xray (lexan) wing, the associated, the Protoform and the Tamiya J wing. Performance wise there wasn't much difference. If I had to pick I'd say the Protoform wing felt the best but it wasn't a night and day difference between them. I currently am running the Tamiya J wings as its incredibly durable and sits high enough to not rub the track or get wedged under a board. For the rear wing I've used the stock Xray wing and the Protoform wing. I found the Protoform wing gave a ton of steering compared to the Xray one. Wing placement however also has a huge affect on the cars handling, so results can vary.
interesting, so do you think its a weight thing or aero? I havent messed with rear wings yet.
Thunderbunny and liljohn1064 like this.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Tech Champion

I am torn on rear wings though and i think the side dams make more of a difference than the actual foils.!
This is one area where I tend to agree. The side dams on some wings are huge and there are probably big enough differences in size to change handling, like between an Xray wing and a Serpent or Tamiya F60

The Serpent wing (lightest) is killer on carpet where you want aggression. Tamiya Ferrari F60 wing (I have measured at 32g) always calms my car. I have even bent up the tabs on a Tamiya wing by heating them up but it doesn't seem to do anything. I have yet to run the AE, but the protoform wing was between the Tamiya and serpent. It is low, however, and I think it contacts the track if you are at a low ride height. Some guys needed to space it up so they didn't catch the track.
liljohn1064 and MantisWorx like this.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
This is one area where I tend to agree. The side dams on some wings are huge and there are probably big enough differences in size to change handling, like between an Xray wing and a Serpent or Tamiya F60

The Serpent wing (lightest) is killer on carpet where you want aggression. Tamiya Ferrari F60 wing (I have measured at 32g) always calms my car. I have even bent up the tabs on a Tamiya wing by heating them up but it doesn't seem to do anything. I have yet to run the AE, but the protoform wing was between the Tamiya and serpent. It is low, however, and I think it contacts the track if you are at a low ride height. Some guys needed to space it up so they didn't catch the track.
you using the "full" serpent? (all winglets)
Old 07-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RobS
Wing placement however also has a huge affect on the cars handling, so results can vary.
True. You are cantilevering the pod with the wing. You'll notice that setups from people like Jan Rathiesky often run the wing as close to the pod and as far down as they can in high traction.

I have seen some guys who used to run lead weight mounted up on the side dams of the rear wing in low traction.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

you using the "full" serpent? (all winglets)
I run every part in the package.
MantisWorx likes this.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Good info here guys....Thanks for sharing... I have not tested my fgx lightened front wing on carpet due to the track closing for the summer. I'll have to wait until September 14 to test ....Cheers...
Old 07-10-2017, 10:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Is there anyone try the F17 n'y Montech ?
If yes, some pics to share ?
Old 07-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by d3nis
Is there anyone try the F17 n'y Montech ?
If yes, some pics to share ?
Just mounted mine on the chassis, gonna paint it this weekend.
forFREEDOM likes this.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Really interested about painted pics. I only round photo from commercial.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.