Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2820Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
I put the stickers on the helmet then use a little heat. The heat will take out any wrinkles in the stickers.
I tried a heat gun, but found that I actually had a little less control than a good ole Bic lighter held about 2" away. But yes, heat is key. Also, when you have long sections of curves, you can cut slits on the stickers where they will wrinkle anyway, and you can get them to lay flat. The heat will smooth out the rest.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoWheel
I tried a heat gun, but found that I actually had a little less control than a good ole Bic lighter held about 2" away. But yes, heat is key. Also, when you have long sections of curves, you can cut slits on the stickers where they will wrinkle anyway, and you can get them to lay flat. The heat will smooth out the rest.
I actually just use the stove (burner on hi) and stick the helmet on a wooden skewer I grab out of the kitchen drawer I even stick bodies in the oven to smooth out wrinkles in the stickers. My wife loves it.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:49 PM
dfx
Tech Adept

Good points, Thank You! Do You think that hair dryer can do the job?
And how about that groove where the 2 halves come together? This time I want to try CA gel, brush paper and spray paint...
Old 08-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoWheel
The problem with any type of adhesive only is that you are only bonding to the paint under the main body, unless you mask it off as clear where the overlap occurs--and it really looks bad. Also, some plastic epoxy will eat right through paint. I was toying with the idea of getting small buttons used to assemble lexan wings and then pain over them with the same color-can always pull the screws out and replace it with those when I find the right parts.
I've painted close to 50 of these bodies over the last couple of years, and I have Shoe gooed all of them with no issues. The only advice I would give is to let the paint dry overnight before you try to put silicone on it
Old 08-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dfx
How do You people do such a beautiful and clean job on detailing helmets? Especially those round stickers are hard challenge for me...
cut the stickers as close to the print as possible.

for decals on long curves (side pontoons, 'vodafone' on top of LH's helmet) in addition to the heat gun and slits technique, it also helps to cut it into smaller sections/pieces (modified 'slit' technique). just make sure you put the next section exactly where the last one ends, so it won't have any noticeable gaps.

HTH

Originally Posted by dfx
And how about that groove where the 2 halves come together? This time I want to try CA gel, brush paper and spray paint...
i didn't CA'd mine. i did however scraped the protruding edges after i put the two halves together.

Last edited by Minami; 08-22-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

F1 RC Car Tires - HPI, Ride, Pit Shimizu, Tamiya, TRG Rubber Tyres

Just a comparison. Estimated sale price in USD.

More info here.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dfx
How do You people do such a beautiful and clean job on detailing helmets? Especially those round stickers are hard challenge for me...
I do something a bit different to the other suggestions. I use spray on window glass cleaner. Spray it onto the helmet and apply the decal. The glass cleaner prevents it from sticking to the helmet and you can move it around until you're happy with the positioning and then gently apply pressure to the sticker with your thumb from the centre of the decal to the outside which removes the glass cleaner from under the sticker and hey presto Works great on all other body decals. Especially handy for those detailed Tamiya Mclaren ones which are thin and fit over the curves in the body.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dfx
I used to do a lot of model car bodies for slot car racing so have a lot of experience with this. Put a little CA between the two pieces before you stick them together. When you squeeze them together, the extra CA will ooze out around the seam. Now sand that down and there you go a smoothed seam!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dfx
Patience is the main key in doing this, along with the other tips mentioned earlier.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gtfour93
Patience is the main key in doing this, along with the other tips mentioned earlier.
I have none. I depend on blurry camera phones.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

AWESOME!!!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Very well done.....I havent got the patience to get a helmet looking that good.
Wish someone would make the helmets already fully stickered,i would buy a Webber helmet for sure
Old 08-23-2012, 02:37 AM
dfx
Tech Adept

Thank You for all those tips!

Originally Posted by texastc
I have none. I depend on blurry camera phones.
It looks like we use the same tactics...

BTW I'm sharing picture of my wide F104 car I'm building for our large outdoor track. I have recycled a few F104Pro parts, with wide front axle and Xceed F103 foams ...and there will be Ferrari 643 body - very simple car.
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-f104wide.jpg  
Old 08-23-2012, 06:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Helmets & cockpits

Some pics from my handmade works...
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-dsc05239.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-dsc05241.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-dsc05246.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-dsc05249.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-dsc05250.jpg  

Old 08-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When you run the Xceed foams up front, what type of spacer do you use on the front axle being that the Xceed rim is slightly narrower than the Tamiya axle?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.