Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RedBullRacing
Very , very bad move 3Racing !

I would like to see one torched - my cash will be staying put as far as that shell is concerned - a blob-fest is not needed in THE BEST class of rc car !! :flam ing:: flaming::flami ng::f laming:
+10000000

Originally Posted by CR0SS
The comment I left on the site. The body looks like a cheap "race car" you would buy at Toys "R" Us. This body does nothing to look like a realistic F1 car even with the ABS plastic driver.

Keep the bodies and wing sets looking scale. Making them look like cheap generic knock offs is not the way to go. I actually would love to have a body that resembles the 2012 cars including the stepped nose.
Heck even the Nico F1 cars look better than that...and those are the cheap race cars you buy at Toys "R" Us!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I won't be putting one on my car
Originally Posted by Vyger
OK, someone pointed this out to me today and a flag of concern went off for both of us

The image and text below are directly from RedRC.net.
http://www.redrc.net/2012/05/3racing...dy/#more-55042T

"Finally 3Racing’s new F1 body, the JLB03 Type A, is made for popular direct drive F1 chassis and is their first pure bred F1 race body. Incorporating crucial aerodynamic properties, the JLB03 body features fins on the nose part of the body, providing essential front down force. The narrow and angled raised side pods have proven to provide better stability during high speed cornering and the upper air inlet has been lowered giving a lower overall height of the body. Fits the Tamiya F104 and 3Racing’s soon to be released F113 F1 chassis and other narrow F1 chassis with a longitudinally mounted battery pack. An ABS plastic driver also included to maintain its realistic F1 body look."

Ha...I had know idea...Has the heightened attention of F1 brought about the need to change the appearance that many of us gravitate towards, I don’t think so…that’s why I’m still in it after all these years. But maybe I'm missing something.

So, my questions to the masses; is this the direction F1 should go, meaning, performance over appearance? Is F1 seeing the beginning of the sedan car phase, where bodies are morphed and stickers are the only thing left that resembles the real car?

I'm sure most can guess what my answer is...what are your thoughts and opinions?

Anyone….
Old 05-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That 3Racing body does not look like any F1 car ever made. EPIC FAILURE.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm not particularly concerned that it is not scale looking. Then again where I race nobody really tries to make their cars look like real f1's. It is more about racing something more challenging than touring cars by being 2wd and open wheeler (promoting cleaner driving).

If anything it's a good thing. The cars will start to look more different on the track instead of wondering if that Ferrari is racing you for position or is a lapped car because you had 2-3 of them in the race.

Also think the paint job they chose doesn't help appealing to those wanting a realistic body (which tamiya already caters for anyway by the way)
Old 05-17-2012, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I for one am all for increasing the aerodynamics of these cars I think there is a lot that can be developed on the front and rear wing to increase down force and still allow the body shell to maintain a ‘scale’ appearance. It seems as though F1 is going to maintain a “spec” class set of rules in the USA so using 21.5’s doesn’t give a whole lot of speed to produce much aero grip and we will still revert to tires and set up to develop mechanical grip to make it through most * corners.

EDIT:

I should have checked the link first; they do have new wings and I like them. Plus the front is clear and can be painted to suit body themes!!!!!!!

Last edited by nrtv20; 05-17-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In regards to the performance over looks aspect, look at this years real F1 cars. Ugly as sin. I can't even watch the races on tv they are so ugly and I haven't. There's no way I'd ever run a body as ugly as this years real F1 cars on an rc car.

It's only natural that designs in rc follow a performance over looks trend as well but in this case I don't think it looks half bad. In fact I kind of like it. Add the big honking vertical fin to the back and it could look even neater. It's got simple pleasing lines and looks pretty sleek.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I dont mind the body either and to bring around the "scale" faithful I think it is just missing the "rear floor" that is around the rear tires.
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-rear-floor-f1.png  
Old 05-17-2012, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I am sure that this body will show up here or there, but to me it is really ambiguous, It really doesnt speak to one era of F1, but is more of a hybrid.
While I dont care for this years F1 cars from a form factor, I wish Tamiya would do a generic body that is in the flavor of the last couple of years. The F60 is a nice body, but it doesnt really work with some of the current liveries.
As far as aero goes, im not sure that there is much to be gained by modifying the wings and such. I think the wings have more effect from the weight that they provide on either end of the chassis, and helping balance the chassis. Not saying they dont work at all, but the amount of surface area they have to generate downforce is negligable. Also for effective aero, you would have to have fairly clean flow over and under the wings, with all of the ribbing on the underside of the wings you would interrupt the flow over the wing section
Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I am sure that this body will show up here or there, but to me it is really ambiguous, It really doesnt speak to one era of F1, but is more of a hybrid.
While I dont care for this years F1 cars from a form factor, I wish Tamiya would do a generic body that is in the flavor of the last couple of years. The F60 is a nice body, but it doesnt really work with some of the current liveries.
As far as aero goes, im not sure that there is much to be gained by modifying the wings and such. I think the wings have more effect from the weight that they provide on either end of the chassis, and helping balance the chassis. Not saying they dont work at all, but the amount of surface area they have to generate downforce is negligable. Also for effective aero, you would have to have fairly clean flow over and under the wings, with all of the ribbing on the underside of the wings you would interrupt the flow over the wing section
If you are worried about shape then you might want to look at Tech bodies,they have most of the body shapes from last year,they might do the 2012 type body one of these days.
Of course Tamiya bodies are the best but it woukd be nice to have the high nose Force India/Wiliams type and a better alligator nose for last years cars.
This years step nose would also be nice to see but I dont see any of these comeing from Tamiya anytime soon.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

The new step nose design is so ugly it makes me want to punch babies.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Yes current "scale" bodies are not like the current 1:1 cars...but that doesn't justify a body that isn't anything like a real F1 current or past. RC has always been at least a year behind 1:1 cars largely due to licensing.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

BP, maybe you should grab one of these new bodies when they come out and see just how "scale" they can look? I've got a picture on my pc at home of one of tje Jordan B&H cars that might actually resemble they new body. I'm goin by my poor memory but the shall of the intake reminded me of that car. Found it
Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

That's a good looking car Tex

It would be nice to see rear wing heights stay lower than airbox height, at the very least

Seems some folks don't care about appearance at all in the F1 class, that's just sad

Of course, this is from some 20+ yrs perspective of running scale looking F1, on & off, so obviously I am a bit opinionated on this subject
Old 05-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

You know I've always wanted to do a fantasy Mazda F1 paint scheme since none ever existed. It's my "what if". It would be foolish to use a Ferrari or McLaren body or any existing body as each is different with unique attributes to a particular manufacturer. However this one resembles what an F1 car could be quite well even though it doesn't represent an actual one. It sounds like the perfect body for me! It doesn't have to be a copy of anything past or present to still have merit. It definitely looks like an F1 car. It certainly isn't NASCAR!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
You know I've always wanted to do a fantasy Mazda F1 paint scheme since none ever existed. It's my "what if". It would be foolish to use a Ferrari or McLaren body or any existing body as each is different with unique attributes to a particular manufacturer. However this one resembles what an F1 car could be quite well even though it doesn't represent an actual one. It sounds like the perfect body for me! It doesn't have to be a copy of anything past or present to still have merit. It definitely looks like an F1 car. It certainly isn't NASCAR!
It actually does look a bit like a Formula Mazda
But nothing like a Formula One

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.