Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Congrats on a great showing at the carpet nats dudes!

Wheres the video?
Here's the video of the F1 A-Main Race at the 2012 Carpet Nats in Dallas, Texas last Sunday. Before the results were posted this race had to be reviewed by the RMT because of the 2nd place car's nose-wing hit the 1st place (Tony's) car's right rear tire during the last lap putting Tony into the wall and dropping him back to 3rd.
F1 A-Main on Sunday, Mar. 18: http://youtu.be/jpdxCkV8n6g

Old 03-19-2012, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CR0SS
Other then the fade I am not sure you could say that car has a paint job you could not see on a real F1.

If HRT would have just added some fading to their 2012 car it would not be much different.
+1

To be honest, I don't think this post got half the attention it deserves, as it does make most arguments about scale liveries moot. And that's just a current one. If we look back, we can find some rather funky 'real' liveries. Honda's 'Earth livery, the Williams FW21 SuperTec (it had, wait for it... FLAMES!), the BAR two-sided livery, the '94 Pacifics, Footworks FA15, and so on.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Here's the video of the F1 A-Main Race at the 2012 Carpet Nats in Dallas, Texas last Sunday. Before the results were posted this race had to be reviewed by the RMT because of the 2nd place car's nose-wing hit the 1st place (Tony's) car's right rear tire during the last lap putting Tony into the wall and dropping him back to 3rd.
F1 A-Main on Sunday, Mar. 18: http://youtu.be/jpdxCkV8n6g

Very cool, thank you for putting the link up!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just participated in the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals this past weekend at Mike's Hobby Shop in the F1 class. I had a blast racing the car despite issues I had early. Like some on this thread, I have always been a fan of real F1 racing (even though I don't keep up with it as close as I use to today). I am one that would prefer that the paint jobs/schemes to resemble the real F1 cars rather than the made-up paint schemes that you see in Touring, 12th scale and World GT (when that class exists).

As far as the cars themselves, when you start driving the cost up for class participation, you start to limit the number of potential competitors and might even drive a few away. All of these trick chassis and conversions for the F103/F104 are fine and dandy, but if you continue to push the cost of participation outside of some racers budgets, they will abandon the class and go a different direction. The inexpensive cost of the stock Slash class is a prime example of why that class is still strong in many places. That is what F1 started out to be in my LHS but it is getting to the "I am about to price myself out of the class" step with all these trick chassis conversions and "special-designed" chassis (that cost).
Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JLock
Just participated in the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals this past weekend at Mike's Hobby Shop in the F1 class. I had a blast racing the car despite issues I had early...
Hey Juan, it was great just to see you return to carpet racing once again. You did a great job driving the F1. I have the full video of your F1 car winning the B Main. Once the video is done uploading to Y-tube, I will post it in this thread.

Oh, by the way, I wish you the best of luck in your 1/8th scale Nitro Asphalt Race in Puerto Rico this week.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Just participated in the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals this past weekend at Mike's Hobby Shop in the F1 class. I had a blast racing the car despite issues I had early. Like some on this thread, I have always been a fan of real F1 racing (even though I don't keep up with it as close as I use to today). I am one that would prefer that the paint jobs/schemes to resemble the real F1 cars rather than the made-up paint schemes that you see in Touring, 12th scale and World GT (when that class exists).

As far as the cars themselves, when you start driving the cost up for class participation, you start to limit the number of potential competitors and might even drive a few away. All of these trick chassis and conversions for the F103/F104 are fine and dandy, but if you continue to push the cost of participation outside of some racers budgets, they will abandon the class and go a different direction. The inexpensive cost of the stock Slash class is a prime example of why that class is still strong in many places. That is what F1 started out to be in my LHS but it is getting to the "I am about to price myself out of the class" step with all these trick chassis conversions and "special-designed" chassis (that cost).
I agree,and that is why it is so stupid to make the cars 190mm. A box stock F103RM,is a better car than a box stock F104 Pro or the 3racing chassis. The F103 with foams is the cheapest car to run. You only need a few parts to run in the A main with all of the crazy priced conversion kits.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Congratulations to Tony Phalen for winning the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals F1 Championship. It was a very close race in the F1 A-Main.

Last edited by wwddww34; 03-19-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think of the trick chassis' as just hop ups. They aren't needed, they don't really make the car any faster than other hop ups. Its just a personal preference. An almost stock 104x1 won the Nats, I believe it only had an aftermarket upper deck on it to better fit the batteries. Jordan at our LHS, raced a bone stock F104w and won with it. Bone stock, bushings and that horrible stock wire steering linkages! In the case of the FGX, it does need the aftermarket chassis for durability. I have an Exotek F1R, I used spare parts to complete it. You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a good car in this class. You can, and people do, but they aren't much if any faster than the rest. Now if we could upgrade the drivers, that would be different.
Driver's skill still wins out.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

I agree with Jason (TexasTC) about good driver skill winning with a stock F104 versus poor driver skill and a hopped-up all carbon fiber and titanium F1XYZ.

Here are some more pics of the F1's sitting on the carpet before the start of the F1 A-Main at the ROAR Carpet Nationals.

Last edited by wwddww34; 03-19-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
I agree,and that is why it is so stupid to make the cars 190mm. A box stock F103RM,is a better car than a box stock F104 Pro or the 3racing chassis. The F103 with foams is the cheapest car to run. You only need a few parts to run in the A main with all of the crazy priced conversion kits.
I know what you mean. My home track is the track of the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nats. I race a Tamiya F103 with some 15th Anniversary upgrades. My motor is a brushed Maruchi 540 black can (almost 20 yrs old) with a LRP 7.1v and stock Tamiya gears (yes, the 0.6m pitch). My car is competitive with the current cars that run F1 at my LHS track (usually finish a lap or two behind Robert Bremer and Jordan Bourne). Outside of an upgrade to brushless and 64 pitch conversion, I won't change a thing. I like the 200mm stand of the car and the way it handles. I do have a F104 kit that will be built for the narrow rule races. I just don't want to see the class shoot itself in the foot because racers think they need all these new chassis layouts to be competitive (can be cost prohibitive to some).
Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Hey Juan, it was great just to see you return to carpet racing once again. You did a great job driving the F1. I have the full video of your F1 car winning the B Main. Once the video is done uploading to Y-tube, I will post it in this thread.

Oh, by the way, I wish you the best of luck in your 1/8th scale Nitro Asphalt Race in Puerto Rico this week.
Thank you for allowing me to run your car (and entry) at the Carpet Nats. Even though my first two qualifiers sucked, I was able to redeem myself at the end. Still would have loved to had been in the A-main but I still had a blast and learned a lot about ROAR electric-sponsored racing (as far as how things are done).

Thanks for the well wishes for my GT world championship race coming up this week. I will try to do my best!!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile F201 Wheels and Tires help.

Hi, first post here.

I've just managed to get my hands on a Tamiya F201 and want to customize the looks of it. I want black wheels just like the F104 (Same spoke patten) but I do not know if they will fit or are there other wheels like that which will fit? Also will the standard groove F201 tires fit or would I need a different type and are there any slick tires that would fit those rims?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Adept

I finished my R31 today too

Brad's decals are wonderful!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ijdod
+1

To be honest, I don't think this post got half the attention it deserves, as it does make most arguments about scale liveries moot. And that's just a current one. If we look back, we can find some rather funky 'real' liveries. Honda's 'Earth livery, the Williams FW21 SuperTec (it had, wait for it... FLAMES!), the BAR two-sided livery, the '94 Pacifics, Footworks FA15, and so on.
This just shows how most think a scale livery are just ones the popular teams run. Sure the replica cars look nice but to be honest they take very little to do. You just have to copy what has already been done. In a concourse event originality is going to play a role unless it is stated to be a scale replica concourse.

The only way you could argue a paint scheme is not something you would see in real F1 is if it actually goes against rules in regards to how the cars are painted. Just because it has not been done yet in 1:1 F1 does not make it a bad thing for RC F1.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Here are some pics of the top ten F1 drivers from last weekend 2012 ROAR Carpet Nationals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.