R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-25-2010, 06:09 AM   #1381
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
25.5 is the way to go. Our club is adopting an all 25.5 program. VTA, F1, RCGT Lites......all 25.5. The way we look at it; long term cost is actually less, performance is at least more consistant and serviceability is better. Overall, better bang for your buck.
I agree.
Was on the other side of the fence early this year but after a running the 540for a bit you will find that brushless is more cost effective.
If any sort of vote happens at my locals I will be pushing for the 25.5 brushless.
j.d.roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #1382
Tech Elite

I don't doubt that brushless is more cost effective. I run brushless in all but my F1 car. But here in the north bay the johnson motors are the rule. Because with brushless you can tamper with the timming among other things with today's speed controls. You would have to be on your honor, and for some that's hard to do. But I do agree, brushless is the way to go.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #1383
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Think I went through 6 or more 540J's so far.
A few we due to me pushing the gearing too far.

Others were either too worn out to compete or
the com got pushed back from impact.

There is also the option for the $50.00 18000rpm+ 540s you can buy.
So if a track can't/won't tech everyone for rpm you might be beat before you hit the track.

If clubs agree to vta style rules (spec esc and spec motor choices) things will be good to go.The cars are different enough to where it won't be "spec" racing.

I am not a soapbox sort of guy but I will speak my mind if the subject comes up. Stuck my foot in my mouth about this debate in the winter (was a die-hard 540 fan) but I see the light now.
j.d.roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #1384
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If F1 went with ROAR's sportsman esc rules, it would probably work out.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #1385
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

An age old problem but one thats getting better. VTA rules requiring the Novak "spec" esc's and motors limit all that mumbo jumbo. Motor timing is then the ONLY variable assuming the driver has the Ballistic 25.5 but thats easy to tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
I don't doubt that brushless is more cost effective. I run brushless in all but my F1 car. But here in the north bay the johnson motors are the rule. Because with brushless you can tamper with the timming among other things with today's speed controls. You would have to be on your honor, and for some that's hard to do. But I do agree, brushless is the way to go.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #1386
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
An age old problem but one thats getting better. VTA rules requiring the Novak "spec" esc's and motors limit all that mumbo jumbo. Motor timing is then the ONLY variable assuming the driver has the Ballistic 25.5 but thats easy to tech.
I would much prefer to run brushless over 540J, but until TCS goes totally brushless, I am staying put. I dont want to have to swap that stuff in and out of the car all the time, and have to have 2 different setups for the different motor/speedo combos
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #1387
Tech Fanatic

BP SHADOW, did you ever finish that McLaren body yet?
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #1388
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

imho...
Silvercans were the way to go when the alternative were high maintenance brushed motors.
What we have now with BL, and lipo, 20-30 min runs, over and over and over again, with no loss in power, no maintenance.

Just seems BL is the way to go, I guess it just takes time for everyone to agree on how to do it.
21.5 is working very well in So Cal, both corked and uncorked
no timing or boost 21.5 = same speed as Silvercan, but without the slowing due to heat.

I would not want to run an F1 car any slower than that, at some tracks we run the 21.5 with boost, full boost is more than my ability can handle, but that's what makes an F1 car fun, mini is a better spec class than F1.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #1389
Tech Master

Please don't dumb down the F1 class. Nothing less than a 21.5 bl with no esc restrictions should be considered for outdoor tracks. There are plenty of the dumnbed down classes one can choose from already. It seems the recent trend is to base the need for slower speeds on the indoor small carpet tracks, which don't translate to the much larger outdoor tracks.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #1390
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This discussion really doesn't hold any water. The only reason anyone runs just the 540 motor is because of TCS. Each track can do what's best for them, 21.5, 25.5, full boost, whatever. I only mentioned what ROAR is doing because it seems there are a large amount of guys who like the 540s because it's economical when no one pushes the envelope. Personally, I say it's FORMULA ONE....see what you can hold onto....MUAHAHAHA

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #1391
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
This discussion really doesn't hold any water. The only reason anyone runs just the 540 motor is because of TCS. Each track can do what's best for them, 21.5, 25.5, full boost, whatever. I only mentioned what ROAR is doing because it seems there are a large amount of guys who like the 540s because it's economical when no one pushes the envelope. Personally, I say it's FORMULA ONE....see what you can hold onto....MUAHAHAHA
+1 my F1 brother

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #1392
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
BP SHADOW, did you ever finish that McLaren body yet?
wings are done and on the car, but i need to paint the body, ended up not goin to the first race
Old 05-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #1393
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I really wish that Fred would take all of TCS brushless, it would be so nice. But the whole Tekin debacle is what has held up the progress of that.
IMO, what needs to happen is that the software needs to be done so it can play on anyones ESC, its not about limiting the speed or even the cost of the speedo, its the fact that to be competitive with brushless at the moment, you have to run a tekin, so you are locked or you are slow. If you could run the Tekin software , or something like it on any speedo, that would eliminate the problems with brushless.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #1394
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
+1 my F1 brother
+2. RC F1 should be like real F1; maximum performance for a true test of driver skill. What is it with everyone these days with wanting to make things slow? This is racing, we're supposed to be going fast!!!
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #1395
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Going slow is good for the group. Going fast is good for the two or three that can handle it.

Economics show that groups of people racing keep tracks in business. A track or club can't survive on two or three entry fees a weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
+2. RC F1 should be like real F1; maximum performance for a true test of driver skill. What is it with everyone these days with wanting to make things slow? This is racing, we're supposed to be going fast!!!
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote