Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 06:07 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think what most people would say the best would be the Xray X1 2016.

The VBC LightningFX is another good handling F1. Lots of people have pretty good things to say about it over in the other thread, but build quality is still miles away from Xray.

The new Yokomo should be a very close contender from a design point, its almost an copy of the Xray.

Tthe CRC is still a very competative F1. From what I remembered, it just won some big race being an older style car.

Then you have the Tamiya TRF101 or 102. Still pretty good to drive, Lots of guys at my local track still run them. But they have nothing on the Xray.

I havent heard a whole bunch about serpent. Generally not very well received, at least from where Im from, since parts for the car is pretty much non existent and usually overpriced.

Last edited by disaster999; 12-09-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:34 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

From what I have seen the X1 2016 is the most complete car currently. It is the best.
The original Serpent f110 is generally problematic. The front end is so weak - any touch to a board completely screws the geometry. The new one is better in this regard but for me the front end is unnecessary complicated. And Serpent parts in general is difficult to find.
I havent seen in real the new yokomo, but I really doubt it has any advantages over X1.

X1 is the strongest and the most efficient car.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by disaster999

Tthe CRC is still a very competative F1. From what I remembered, it just won some big race being an older style car.
I was at the US Indoor champs where CRC won. They now have a transverse chassis for the car, so it was not the older car that won. The older car is very good though.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

X-rays are pretty good, but you definately pay a luxury price for that luxury car. Our local track has F104 tbar cars turning faster laps than X1's. Last race I went to, tbar cars placed 1 and 2 beating out X-rays, exoteks, and F104v2's.

Tire choice, tire prep and driving style/ability make a bigger difference than chassis selection.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:04 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by theproffesor
X-rays are pretty good, but you definately pay a luxury price for that luxury car. Our local track has F104 tbar cars turning faster laps than X1's. Last race I went to, tbar cars placed 1 and 2 beating out X-rays, exoteks, and F104v2's.

Tire choice, tire prep and driving style/ability make a bigger difference than chassis selection.
Absolutely agreed. And mainly driver skills.

However the original question was about the best current car, which I insist is the X1 2016 currently. Not because it is the fastest but due to its durability and easiness to work with. And for sure you pay for this.

Having said that - even a F109 is quiet competative if in good condition and in the right hands. And yes tamiyas are also ok, however to bring them to the functional level of X1 with the necessary hop ups you get to similar costs as new X1.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Instead of neutering F1 by limiting it to 25.5 motors, why not create a "Spec 25.5 Formula" class? Spec the tires, wings, BODY, and limit it to 25.5 motors for beginners. Kind of like the Spec Formula classes they have in full scale racing.

Then when they want to move up to the 21.5 F1 class, they'll be ready.

I enjoy the "overpowered" nature of the F1 cars. It requires finesse and throttle control to go fast. Pinning the throttle all the way around the track doesn't interest me. It's why I don't own any 1/12th scales. Just not my thing.

Mark
Old 12-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

BOOM
Old 12-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scirocco14
Instead of neutering F1 by limiting it to 25.5 motors, why not create a "Spec 25.5 Formula" class? Spec the tires, wings, BODY, and limit it to 25.5 motors for beginners. Kind of like the Spec Formula classes they have in full scale racing.

Then when they want to move up to the 21.5 F1 class, they'll be ready.

I enjoy the "overpowered" nature of the F1 cars. It requires finesse and throttle control to go fast. Pinning the throttle all the way around the track doesn't interest me. It's why I don't own any 1/12th scales. Just not my thing.

Mark
Problem is, you can't even get enough turnout (3 cars) to make one F1 class (around here at least). Let alone split it into 2...

At this point for us locally, we just really need to run F1 "open" to even get enough turnout. We had a big race a few weeks ago, around 100 entries if I recall, had 4 F1 cars...
Old 12-09-2015, 08:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 3D-Seth
Problem is, you can't even get enough turnout (3 cars) to make one F1 class (around here at least). Let alone split it into 2...

At this point for us locally, we just really need to run F1 "open" to even get enough turnout. We had a big race a few weeks ago, around 100 entries if I recall, had 4 F1 cars...
I agree, it's hard to get F1 turnout in some areas. We just had 14 F1 cars at our Carolinas Classic, w/ 21.5 rules. Some guys were running 25.5 motors in their F1 cars and were right there in the mix.

I'm all for doing whatever will make and keep the class healthy.

My main issue with 25.5 motors in F1 is that it will make the racing TOO close, and it becomes difficult to pass because the cars are all circulating at the same speed. I've tried 25.5 motors in my F1 cars, in fact my 'loaner F1' car has a 25.5 in it. And it's almost full throttle all the way around our local track. Easier to drive? Yes. As much fun as 21.5? No. Good for the racers learning how to drive an F1? Yes.

I'm afraid that the unintended consequence will be racers leaving F1 due to breaking too many parts due to contact during racing. The open wheels just do not allow 'fender rubbing' like in 1/12th scale and USVTA, for example, where the cars are nearly full throttle all the way around the circuit.

I don't see why we can't just allow and SUGGEST 25.5 motors for new F1 drivers, but allow 21.5 motors as well. Let the new guys learn to drive F1 w/ 25.5 motors, and then when they're ready to run at the point, install that 21.5 motor and have at it.

Mark
Old 12-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

The alternative is actually using the advanced technology we have at our disposal and turning down throttle EPA and punch on the ESC.

Turn up as your skill improves. Isn't that a novel thought.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

One year from now I'd like to see a chart, from the tracks that swapped to 25.5, of the F1 entries, month by month.

I have a feeling it would be big at first as slower guys think they have a chance to win and then it will shrink back to what we had with 21.5 as the same fast guys win.

Only difference will be we all have less money and a dusty 25.5 in out box
Old 12-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Fast guys will always be fast, it doesn't matter what motor you put in. Going to the 25.5 motor will make the car easier to drive while the lap times should not significantly change. Making the car easier to drive should be good to get more involved in the class or any class. The closer the racing the more fun there is to be had. Most classes die because there is too much of a spread between the top drivers and the lower drivers. This frustrates people and then they quit. The more mana able the. At is the more a driver learns to drive. If you look a VTA, you have large turnouts and very close races. That's why you see the biggest smiles on the faces of the drivers.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by f1larry
Fast guys will always be fast, it doesn't matter what motor you put in. Going to the 25.5 motor will make the car easier to drive while the lap times should not significantly change. Making the car easier to drive should be good to get more involved in the class or any class. The closer the racing the more fun there is to be had. Most classes die because there is too much of a spread between the top drivers and the lower drivers. This frustrates people and then they quit. The more mana able the. At is the more a driver learns to drive. If you look a VTA, you have large turnouts and very close races. That's why you see the biggest smiles on the faces of the drivers.
I keep seeing this claim stated in this forum, but if this is true then why make the 21.5 guys change to 25.5? Just tell the new guys that a 25.5 will make it easier to drive and the laptimes will be almost the same.

Don't drag the fast guys down just to make the new/slow guys less 'frustrated'.

And I take exception to the 'closer the racing the more fun there is to be had'. I see breakout racing and want to barf... I want to be rewarded for driving better and setting up my car better than the other guys. Not be dragged down to the lowest common denominator. This is racing.

BTW, one of the most 'fun' things I've done in RC so far (I've only been racing for 2 years) is the MOD VTA class the local indoor carpet track ran for a little while. No minimum weight, any motor you wanted. Just VTA tires and body. Woo-hoo, a 13.5 motor in a VTA car is a hoot. Turns out those tires can't handle all that power and WILL melt a little. lol...

Mark

Last edited by scirocco14; 12-09-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

Honestly, the racing is better with 25.5. I have raced with 21.5 motors since the Tamiya series chose that motor, which was like 5 years ago. I have won multiple TCS regionals, finshed 3rd 2x and 2nd once at the TCS nationals, I finished 2nd 2x in UF1 midwest points, and I just came in 5th at the US Indoor champs a couple weeks ago. I like to think I'm at least "ok" at racing F1, but I realize there are plenty of better racers than me. That being said, I don't feel held back by a slower motor. What I feel held back by is having nobody to compete against.

As far as passing goes, at the Indoor Champs, Mark Sweeney laid a great pass on me for 4th at the second to last corner when I got a little wide. We had a good, race and a lot of fun. It's not fun to have nobody to race with, or ill handling cars to dodge all the time.

It looks like 21.5 is fine in some places, but I just see a lot of good things happening since 25.5 became popular.

ps. I'd like nothing more than to roll out the old wide cars on foam and LET IT EAT...that would be fun too.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

I don't believe the fast guys are being draged down since it is the fast guys that have been testing the new formula and that's what it is a new formula the may or may not give the class a shot in the arm.
And you answered your argument about being rewarded for setting up your car well, that is why the fast guys will always be faster because of the time spent practicing and working on their setup.

I find it funny that it seems overseas racing is thriving and the cars are being slowed down by using lower voltage life batteries and slower motors.

Unfortunately this hobby will not thrive if everything is focused on the upper tier drivers, new blood is needed and if that means lowering to the lowest common denominator so be it, at least there will be a race to be run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.