R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #10216
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

My apologies to Brad, but I have given up on the CRC WTF-1. They have been saying "soon" since October and were estimating delivery in December back then. We're more than halfway through April and don't have a date yet. No matter how good the reports report it to be, if I can't have it, it doesn't do me any good.

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #10217
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

had to change my servo back to the virtical postion. lost a bunch of steering running it horizontal. i think due to the servo is not a low profile. going to have to change that out. but got my butt kicked by a vbc. fast car/driver too. but he wasnt paying attention for the main and didnt get enough sauce on his car so i ended up winning. and alot of attrition in the race last night. more things to work on for the asphalt season. last night was the last sat night indoor carpet race.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #10218
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
Here is my latest VF1 project car...Jackie Stewart's 1971-72 Tyrrell 003 Ford.

The engine wiring, rear suspension, mirror mounts, and engine plumbing lines are all hand-made.

Body came from Manny at VF1 Club.

Hope you all like it.
Lotus..Is that a wide car?..I have a 104Wide GP that I'd love to put this body on....
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #10219
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonracing View Post
had to change my servo back to the virtical postion. lost a bunch of steering running it horizontal. i think due to the servo is not a low profile.
You had a lot less steering because running a low profile servo horizontal gives a much bigger ackermann angle, which makes the steering smoother but it does reduce steering. The servo mounted vertically makes the steering much more aggressive.

Running a full size servo horizontally will give you toe in bump steer, which will bite into the corner harder than a low profile servo. using a low profile servo you will have even less steering.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #10220
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
You had a lot less steering because running a low profile servo horizontal gives a much bigger ackermann angle, which makes the steering smoother but it does reduce steering. The servo mounted vertically makes the steering much more aggressive.

Running a full size servo horizontally will give you toe in bump steer, which will bite into the corner harder than a low profile servo. using a low profile servo you will have even less steering.
If you shim the balls downward enough with a horizontal servo, so that the steering turnbuckles are horizontal all around, that will give you the most ackermann, right? So, if you use less shims, and thus let the turnbuckles angle upwards toward the balls on the servo saver, that'll be less ackermann and thus give you more aggressive steering. Or am I getting this backwards?

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #10221
Tech Champion

Moving the pivot point up and down affects the bump steer. Moving the servo forward and back affects the ackerman.
www.apexrc.com - Hawaii's #1 RC Proshop

Share & Like Our Page:https://www.facebook.com/ApexRCProshop
Win free stuff!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #10222
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
Panda:

Your welcome for saving your concourse bacon by fixing your over discharged lipo using my "special charging technique". And thank you again for use of your charger for the weekend. Last time I ever go to the track without a spare.

I got my 101 built, sort of. I think I fixed all the stuff I could find that was wrong with it. Needs a test session.

What are you supposed to do for ride height on these things anyway?
Thanks for the lipo CPR. Needed that flashing pit lane red light to convince the judges.

Rear ride height is adjusted by the axle spacers (0, 1 and 2) and you can flip the 1 and 2 fir more adjustment. For the front, little you can do on the 101 to adjust other than trying to play with the aluminum spacers above and below the knuckles (if using the aluminum knuckles).

Panda
Old 04-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #10223
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Moving the pivot point up and down affects the bump steer. Moving the servo forward and back affects the ackerman.
Crap, you're right. Well, I think I'm still going to try to move my horizontal, but I'll try to pay attention to the ackermann for sure.

First night out with my 104, I broke the rear pod/diffuser while sliding sideways into a pipe. Doh!

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:37 AM   #10224
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello guys,
Has someone a fast answer which is the biggest pinion I could use on a F104v2 with 93 theeth spur (modul 0.4)? And/or will a 36 theeth pinion fit?
Thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 01:41 AM   #10225
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Think 35 will fit.
36 i don't know
Or use the Exotek spurs

Regards Roy
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #10226
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
If you shim the balls downward enough with a horizontal servo, so that the steering turnbuckles are horizontal all around, that will give you the most ackermann, right? So, if you use less shims, and thus let the turnbuckles angle upwards toward the balls on the servo saver, that'll be less ackermann and thus give you more aggressive steering. Or am I getting this backwards?
Moving the balls up and down changes the bump steer, not the ackermann directly, but it does have an effect. If the balls are mounted higher on the servo saver when the outside wheel is loaded up in the corner it will turn a little bit more to reduce ackermann slightly but won't make much difference.

With a vertical servo even on full lock the balls on the servo saver are still right the way forwards, keeping the steering links as straight as possible ensuring the outside wheel turns the most and keeping the angle between the two front wheels at a minimum. With a horizontal servo you just can't reduce the ackermann as much as the vertical servo.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #10227
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

What body do you guys recommend running? I really liked the look of the f2012 but thought I heard there was issues with that body. Something about the front wing if I recall. I will be mostly running outdoors on a large track. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. I need to get one ordered soon.
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #10228
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

im using the f60 body. works well and looks nice. no issues with front wing.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #10229
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

The F2012 body has a large front wing and when involved in crashes, it begins to bow and bend downwards, dragging on the surface thru turns.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #10230
Tech Apprentice

I found the included wing was made from a soft white plastic. Tamiya has since released a black plastic replacement part that is more stiff and not prone to the same problems associated with the white.
Attached Thumbnails
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-image.jpg  
simple is offline   Reply With Quote