R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #9691
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Wing colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csaari77 View Post
I finished my take on the Jordan 191 last night. It's not up to the standards of the hand painted Red Bull, but I think it turned out pretty good. I painted and clear coated the wings, but I'm sure they'll still get destroyed the first time I clip a pipe.

I was never a big Schumacher fan, so Kimi got the nod for the Jordan drive.
Csaari77, How did you paint your wings on that 191?
Thanks
rccobra705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #9692
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccobra705 View Post
Csaari77, How did you paint your wings on that 191?
Thanks
I primed them with Tamiya fine white primer and then sprayed them with the same Faskolor paints that I used on the body. After that I applied 3 coats of lacquer clear coat. I did the same for the winglets, main plain on the rear wing, and the mirrors. Hopefully it will hold up well with the clear coat.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #9693
Tech Elite

Hi all ....

Quick question for you knowledgable painters out there .....

What paint most closely resembles the red in Redbulls F1 Red ..... rattlecan that is?

Thanks for your help.

Regards
BM
Old 11-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #9694
Tech Apprentice

Danish F1 race from last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_qabm6Owhs
Old 11-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #9695
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
I noticed that you referred to his "gyro stopped working". I've noticed that there has been some talk concerning gyros in rc car racing. Would someone please explain that to me. I thought they were only for drift cars, but apparently they are used in racing too. Are they worth getting? My group races F1 cars on less than perfect parking lot tracks where traction is difficult to come by...would a gyro help? If so, what brand to buy and how much are they?
We were using gyros in F1s 20 years ago, until they were banned as everyone ended up having them. They make the cars much more stable as it automatically counter steers when the rear end starts sliding. While they are banned in most sanctioned racing around the world, FEMCA still allows them in some F1 classes.

If the chassis starts to spin when either turning into a corner or when wheels spin coming out of the corner, depending on how you have set up the gyro it will try to correct the steering so will help keep it on line. It means you can run a softer front end for more steering grip for faster cornering without worrying about the car spinning out as easily. A gyro will still let the car spin out though, it doesn't instantly solve handling problems. Here's a good demonstration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90dQlBmfV2I

There are a wide range of available gyros, most cheap heli gyros will do the job if you want to experiment with one, you can pick up cheap ones for $10-15 to experiment with and see if they make a difference. Car gyros are usually a heli gyro repackaged as a car specific item, usually at double the price of the heli versions. If you want to invest in a decent one, the HPI D-Box is just a rebadged Futaba G190 heli gyro,but if you are feeling rich there is the Tamiya Active Steering Assist at $148!
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #9696
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I hate the idea of "driver aids", but that is cool. Thanks for sharing.

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #9697
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
All of Asia runs gyro's in F1's. Most people consider a gyro a "driver's aid" but the same can be said for what Pit Shimizu tires did for F1 racing. Suddenly you have a tire that makes the car grip better, not spin out as easily, more driveable which equals more fun and more racers. Just sayin......

Panda
Old 11-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #9698
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

TAMIYA TGU-01 Active Steering Assist is only $72USD. Not $148. I rather change my set up and/or adjust my driving style instead of using the assist. But it's cool stuff.
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #9699
Tech Elite

Hi all ....

What paint most closely resembles the red in Redbulls F1 Red ..... rattlecan that is?

Thanks for your help.

Regards
BM
Old 11-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #9700
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

@British Menace,

I don't know the answer to that question, but I'd bet that BPShadow does. He is on RCTech. You might want to PM him.

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #9701
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
Haha i think i need this and collision detection auto-drag-brake.
firefoxussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #9702
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Hi all ....

Thanks for your help.

Regards
BM
Depends on which brand paint you can buy. Try Tamiya PS-2 Red or Pactra Racing Red.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #9703
Tech Elite

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Regards, BM
Old 11-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #9704
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
We were using gyros in F1s 20 years ago, until they were banned as everyone ended up having them. They make the cars much more stable as it automatically counter steers when the rear end starts sliding. While they are banned in most sanctioned racing around the world, FEMCA still allows them in some F1 classes.

If the chassis starts to spin when either turning into a corner or when wheels spin coming out of the corner, depending on how you have set up the gyro it will try to correct the steering so will help keep it on line. It means you can run a softer front end for more steering grip for faster cornering without worrying about the car spinning out as easily. A gyro will still let the car spin out though, it doesn't instantly solve handling problems. Here's a good demonstration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90dQlBmfV2I

There are a wide range of available gyros, most cheap heli gyros will do the job if you want to experiment with one, you can pick up cheap ones for $10-15 to experiment with and see if they make a difference. Car gyros are usually a heli gyro repackaged as a car specific item, usually at double the price of the heli versions. If you want to invest in a decent one, the HPI D-Box is just a rebadged Futaba G190 heli gyro,but if you are feeling rich there is the Tamiya Active Steering Assist at $148!

Thank you so much for the help with this. We have a small club that will be racing both F1 cars and the Speed Passion LM1 Le Mans cars on less than perfect parking lots which offer sketchy traction at best! The gyro idea sounds to me like it would make it a bit easier to drive the cars, especially for beginners, which in turn should make it more fun! I intend to give it a try.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #9705
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 253 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tobamiester Send a message via Yahoo to tobamiester

Ok guys. Pretty new to F1 but working on growing the class locally.

I have an F104W GP which runs good. No real complaints..

I'm wondering about the front end. I have access to a ton of parts from F104v2's so wondering what are the benefits of swapping front ends, to a narrower F104v2 from the older / wider F103/4 style? Thinking about performance and durability.

(Sorry if this has been asked before)
tobamiester is offline   Reply With Quote