R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #9646
Tech Master
 
IndyRC_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,709
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

What is scale realism as it pertains to R/C cars? Do I think it is the pattern or color(s) of the paint on the body? NO.

One of the obvious things that separates real race cars (and even prototypes) vs street cars is sponsorship. Since racing is expensive, I would expect to see sponsorship decals on a modern F1 car. Typically you will see large decals on the wings and side pods, with various other decals all over the car. When sponsorship decals are missing from F1 R/C cars they look incomplete to me.

Do I think an R/C F1 car needs to have dozens of stickers to look realistic? Absolutely not. A few strategically placed decals can make all the difference between a generic red car vs. a Ferrari replica. I think this also applies to a fantasy livery. Again a few decals in the right places can make all the difference.

In the end an F1 R/C car with pink flames could work if it had some basic sponsorship details - real or fantasy. In fact, I would be happy to run a body like this. The point is I would take the time to make it look like a race car regardless of the paint scheme.
__________________
I'm currently racing VTA. Check here for rules/info: http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #9647
Tech Master
 
RCBuddha's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,836
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

I hear the Xray might make an F1...
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #9648
Tech Elite
 
al dente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 5280 Raceway. Denver's finest RC facility
Posts: 4,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
.....I had your back until you said this. Why are you racing F1 then? Why not just stick to WGT or 1/12 scale?
They are all rear wheel drive pan cars. I would find it hard to believe you are drawn to rubber tires....
Personally I was drawn to the class for the "realistic-ish" aspect of the models.
It's in the rules. Simple. I agree, it would be rediculous to turn someone away, for daring to be different. And I embrace creativity, and uniqueness.

But why not "try" to find a livery from the 60? Odd years of F1 that reflects your sense of identity and dress your awesome machine in it, rather than erecting a flaming pink finger at the establishment?
I'm drawn to the class because 1, it is a pan car. 2, it is different because it has rubber tires. 3, I love the way the cars look. 4, it's different from world gt and 1/12. 5, it is a growing class in on road and I want to run it.

Just for the record, I don't think my cars are ugly, just the people that think you have to run a copy of of some other car. All my cars are pink, red, and black, I don't feel that my f1 should be any different . I learned a long time time ago that it does not do you any good to change who you are or what you do to make other people happy. I will continue to run f1, and I will continue to paint my cars how I want to. The entire point of the discussion was to open peoples eyes to the fact that not everyone want to run an f1 copy, but may still love the class. I'm not raising a "flaming pink finger" to the establishment. Just trying to show that it does not matter how your car is painted, it's still an f1 car, it's the same body everyone else is running, just painted a little different. It may not be what everyone else likes, and that's fine, but there should not be RULES against painting YOUR body, how YOU want.

I have no problem with people who want to run an exact scale replica. I think they look cool too........ Its just not what I want for my own car. Trying to make rules that are subjective to what might be considered f1-ish to a promoter or a race director is not a good idea for a lot reasons.

I'd also like to say that I have no problems with any of the posts and comments made on this topic. I think it is a worth while discussion and it needs to be talked about. The problem I have is with a rule that says you can't run a certain style of paint job, event though it is on the same body everyone else is using. That would be like a promoter that hates ferrari saying you can't run a ferrari body just because he does not like it.
__________________
Team CRC / Dumper's Speed Shop / Team Scream Racing / Black Art
RC America / FB/FX / Colorado On Road RC Club / Manutech
5280 Raceway (5280raceway.com) home of the MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 20-23, 2017
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #9649
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hudson Falls, NY
Posts: 872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
I'm drawn to the class because 1, it is a pan car. 2, it is different because it has rubber tires. 3, I love the way the cars look. 4, it's different from world gt and 1/12. 5, it is a growing class in on road and I want to run it.

Just for the record, I don't think my cars are ugly, just the people that think you have to run a copy of of some other car. All my cars are pink, red, and black, I don't feel that my f1 should be any different . I learned a long time time ago that it does not do you any good to change who you are or what you do to make other people happy. I will continue to run f1, and I will continue to paint my cars how I want to. The entire point of the discussion was to open peoples eyes to the fact that not everyone want to run an f1 copy, but may still love the class. I'm not raising a "flaming pink finger" to the establishment. Just trying to show that it does not matter how your car is painted, it's still an f1 car, it's the same body everyone else is running, just painted a little different. It may not be what everyone else likes, and that's fine, but there should not be RULES against painting YOUR body, how YOU want.

I have no problem with people who want to run an exact scale replica. I think they look cool too........ Its just not what I want for my own car. Trying to make rules that are subjective to what might be considered f1-ish to a promoter or a race director is not a good idea for a lot reasons.

I'd also like to say that I have no problems with any of the posts and comments made on this topic. I think it is a worth while discussion and it needs to be talked about. The problem I have is with a rule that says you can't run a certain style of paint job, event though it is on the same body everyone else is using. That would be like a promoter that hates ferrari saying you can't run a ferrari body just because he does not like it.
I understand the point you are trying to make; however, while you don't think that anyone should force people to paint and decal their F1 car like the real thing, that you and others should be allowed to paint and decal your F1 body anyway you like; the problem with that line of thinking is that the main draw of the F1 class is it's scale realism, and if the rulesmakers bend the rules and allow you or someone else to show up with a pink body with flames or whatever, it will "open the barn door" so to speak, and then you will have a bunch of other people wanting to do the same. Then some manufacturer will make an F1 body that is "super aero" but not at all scale looking, and the same people will be clamoring to have that body made legal to race, and if it proves to have a distinct advantage over the scale F1 bodies, then many will ditch their scale bodies and buy the new "super aero blob style" F1 body that looks nothing like a real F1 car, just so that they can remain competitive. The same can be said for allowing foam tires on the F1 cars. I've already seen what that has resulted in. Those who run the foams do what every other pan car class does that run foams, which is to shave the tire right down to the rim practically for performance reasons, which in turn totally ruins the scale realism look of the wheels/tires and the car as a whole. I wish that foams were banned from F1 altogether!! Rubber tires only...even on carpet!

That is exactly what happened to the original touring car class, which started out with scale bodies, and realistic looking wheels, and it was over time ruined by those who insisted on the "blob bodies' with wild paint schemes that looked nothing like any existing car. Then the scale wheels went bye, bye, in favor of the ugly neon yellow or white dish wheels, and so on.

These are part of the reason that cars like the Corally F1 car are frowned on, because it is not a car built to the spirit of the class, and it's front suspension is basically just a 1/12 pan car front setup, and the car does not use scale wheels and tires, and is wider than is usually allowed for most F1 racing.

The end point being that if ANY of the F1 rules that are designed to protect the spirit of the class(body, paint, wings, wheels, tires, overall dimensions) are bent to satisfy those who don't appreciate that, then the whole thing begins to snowball, and F1 goes the route of the touring cars!
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #9650
Tech Master
 
CR0SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: EL Jebel
Posts: 1,498
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Paint has nothing to do with the negative effects you listed. The touring car and paint example you gave is a bad one. The wild paint jobs were around almost from the beginning. You could also find the same wild paint jobs on real 1:1 tuner cars. So how can you say it was the wild paint that led to blob bodies.

You can have all the scale looks and still have the freedom to paint what you want. To limit paint to something someone has already done in the 1:1 world is stupid. Let people express their originality. Just doing paint from some other class of racing is not being different.

It is very easy to draw the line with scale looks of suspension and body. How do you determine what is paint that is okay and what has gone to far? There have been some real F1 cars painted in ways that I am sure some here if they saw it on a RC car would say is not allowed you need scale looking paint.

If you showed up with a car painted like this I am sure some would shun you saying you need paint that is scale looking from a real car.


Lion and flames?


Are snakes okay?


Camo?


This painter is really bad at making flames.


__________________
You know the guy that beat you at the last race? It was not because of his car, or motor, or battery, it is because he was a better driver. Now go practice so you can beat him.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #9651
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,157
Default

And don't forget...even though TC has gone away from the scale aspect...it is still the biggest class at any major event.

As I said before...I think it is important that the bodies and chassis stay as scale as possible...but the paint really means little to the class. If the scale enthusiasts and the racers can't find a compromising middle ground...then the class is doomed from the start. I say keep the chassis and bodies scale and let the paint go what way it will...and the class will thrive.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #9652
Tech Addict
 
bd581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, NSW
Posts: 516
Default

My humble opinion on the topic

I'm new to F1 after years of touring cars.
What's drawn me to it is the challenge and the looks.
Touring cars are so good now they are getting boring to drive.
With F1 at least the cars look like F1 cars. The so called mazdas, stratus etc look completely unrecognisable.
The paint scheme on F1 cars doesn't bother me. When you get a dozen or so cars together you could end up with say 5 Ferrari's together. Could make it very difficult to pick out your own car.
The colours I always paint my cars if for visibility, to be different to everyone else, and so I can see my car (I don't have the best vision) on an asphalt track in the sun, I simply couldn't see a silver McLaren or Mercedes
I wouldn't race if I had to be the same as other cars on the track
bd581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:58 AM   #9653
Tech Elite
 
fleetmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NSW
Posts: 2,642
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbunny View Post
These statements sadden me.

9hours of painting, and detailing......

Funny thing is, I was probably more excited to to show off this livery than I was racing AND winning with it. Wish others understood.
That's fantastic !! Absolutely love it mate , excellent job ....
fleetmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:01 AM   #9654
Tech Elite
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,261
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
And don't forget...even though TC has gone away from the scale aspect...it is still the biggest class at any major event.

As I said before...I think it is important that the bodies and chassis stay as scale as possible...but the paint really means little to the class. If the scale enthusiasts and the racers can't find a compromising middle ground...then the class is doomed from the start. I say keep the chassis and bodies scale and let the paint go what way it will...and the class will thrive.
Burt,
All true statements, but I think the scale stuff is coming back in TC as well,consider that the second biggest class at IIC was Spec GT which was also a scale class, I know not "touring cars" but running the same chassis
__________________
I'll hit the brakes he'll go right by
http://f1rclab.com
http://f1rclab.mybigcommerce.com
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #9655
Tech Fanatic
 
bakaguyjean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atsugi Japan
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
I'm drawn to the class because 1, it is a pan car. 2, it is different because it has rubber tires. 3, I love the way the cars look. 4, it's different from world gt and 1/12. 5, it is a growing class in on road and I want to run it.

Just for the record, I don't think my cars are ugly, just the people that think you have to run a copy of of some other car. All my cars are pink, red, and black, I don't feel that my f1 should be any different . I learned a long time time ago that it does not do you any good to change who you are or what you do to make other people happy. I will continue to run f1, and I will continue to paint my cars how I want to. The entire point of the discussion was to open peoples eyes to the fact that not everyone want to run an f1 copy, but may still love the class. I'm not raising a "flaming pink finger" to the establishment. Just trying to show that it does not matter how your car is painted, it's still an f1 car, it's the same body everyone else is running, just painted a little different. It may not be what everyone else likes, and that's fine, but there should not be RULES against painting YOUR body, how YOU want.

I have no problem with people who want to run an exact scale replica. I think they look cool too........ Its just not what I want for my own car. Trying to make rules that are subjective to what might be considered f1-ish to a promoter or a race director is not a good idea for a lot reasons.

I'd also like to say that I have no problems with any of the posts and comments made on this topic. I think it is a worth while discussion and it needs to be talked about. The problem I have is with a rule that says you can't run a certain style of paint job, event though it is on the same body everyone else is using. That would be like a promoter that hates ferrari saying you can't run a ferrari body just because he does not like it.
You know you could take the 10 minutes it takes to find the Pink red and Black F1 car. There is one,I guess you didnt know
__________________
My body projects blog http://rcbodyproject.wordpress.com/
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #9656
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,387
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

UF1 encourages realisticish liveries but never disallowed anyone from running. Most prefer the real stuff but some just like the car.
I do miss my Gene Simmons head though. Can we maybe...? Whoa just kidding. sort of
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #9657
Tech Addict
 
Thunderbunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

As requested, here are more pics. I painted four cars total. Two F2012s and two F60s for me and my teammate. The carbon fiber detail is done with 3M Dinoc. Big props to F1Rclab for the best decals in the business.



Here are a few of my past cars...



__________________
Chris Jones a.k.a. "Black Jesus"
O.S. l Airtronics l RSD l
DeSoto Racing l Gulf Coast Raceway Porter,Tx
Thunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #9658
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
Burt,
All true statements, but I think the scale stuff is coming back in TC as well,consider that the second biggest class at IIC was Spec GT which was also a scale class, I know not "touring cars" but running the same chassis
That is true...then the question is...would Spec GT be bigger, smaller, or no change if it kept with the scale bodies but allowed any kind of paint?
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #9659
Tech Elite
 
asc6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Meridian Idaho
Posts: 3,383
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys, is there a list of all available F1 bodies ? Seems to me I saw one somewhere.
__________________
"you reach the limit, you touch the limit, then you pass the limit, now there is a new limit"
Ayrton Senna
asc6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #9660
Tech Elite
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,261
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
That is true...then the question is...would Spec GT be bigger, smaller, or no change if it kept with the scale bodies but allowed any kind of paint?
Good question, but as I stated before, I have no problem with the tribal flamed schemes,I just think there are plenty of other classes where they are more relevant. And honestly what really drives me nuts is a plain white body with no stickers or detail whatsoever. I think there should be standards for the F1 class so that it is always the best looking class on the track, tire markings and cockpit detailing should be a part of those standards.
__________________
I'll hit the brakes he'll go right by
http://f1rclab.com
http://f1rclab.mybigcommerce.com
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Championship Series Neil Rabara Racing Forum 20782 Yesterday 04:25 PM
TAMIYA F103 RM energyracing Electric On-Road 2342 01-09-2016 02:15 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:40 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0