Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

O.K guys I just wanted to show something cool to be done to the chassis. I don't want this to become a him against me kind of discussion. Mario and myself have come to terms that we both have different opinions on this and we are not fighting about it. Everyone on here is more than welcome to state their opinions on paint schemes for f1 cars, but lets keep it healthy and non combative. I think we all want to have fun in this class and we dont need to have another classic rc tech war, so let's continue to discuss, but let's not bash anyone.
Thanks.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Does anyone have feedback on the new Sweep V2 tires on carpet? How do they compare to the Pit 571/572 combo or the Pardus tires?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Old 11-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Old 11-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
You know Mario, if you stop taking your bodies to the nail salon to get them painted we wouldn't be having this conversation
All kidding aside, for the big races I don't have a problem with a show car type paint scheme, but for UF1 it wouldn't fly. My point in Vegas and to this day is that you have at least a dozen other classes that you can run any paint scheme you want, if everyone shows up with whatever they want then it just becomes another class and is not really unique. I make almost 50 different decal sheets that with a bit of creativity could be turned into something unique while still staying in the spirit of the class.
Brad, you can make fun of my paint all you want. You will continue to sell your stickers, and there will never be a shortage of people willing to run them. But to turn racers away at the door because of the way the choose to detail their stuff is in conceivable to me.

Originally Posted by C5R01
So your not a huge F1 fan, You drive a car that no-one can purchase right now and you win a race with said car and want to turn the fun class into another lets make it this way because it needs to be different and less fun.

Robk, Brad, and the west coast guys are keeping it fun but competitive. I think it should stay that way.
Can you please tell me how the paint on my car makes a difference to the amount of fun other people have at the track? Or effects competitiveness? Please also tell me what it is that is such a huge change to the class....

You guys are exactly the people I am talking about. The fact is that it does not matter how my car looks, I measure success at a RACE (which is what we are doing) by my results on the race track. I will never be a copy cat, and I don't get my jollies by pretending that I'm some guy driving a real f1 car. I don't think its cool to be one of 10 red bulls at an event. I get my jollies by winning. And that's why I race. I hope to see you all at snowbirds. I'll be the guy with the ugly body that looks nothing like an f1 car.........
Old 11-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by al dente
I'll be the guy with the ugly body that looks nothing like an f1 car.........
Most would never depict your paint jobs as ugly, certainly not scale F1 stuff, but as they say, different strokes, for different folks

Mario, You're pan cars always look BadAss !

off topic, have you tested the spec tires on your 12th scale yet ?
Old 11-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We have been running them at home for over a month. They work well, tire wear is lower, and traction here has never been higher!
Old 11-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dumper
We have been running them at home for over a month. They work well, tire wear is lower, and traction here has never been higher!
What compounds have you been using? Our track is med-high carpet.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Never said anything about your paint job. Could care less. I am talking about the class and how it was put together by enthusiast and how now people want things their way. It is a fun class and always will be, but when it is all said and done I have a real job and TOY CARS is a hobby. I don't need it to make a living. The UF1 and UF1 Midwest put F1 back on the map in the US and just like everything else RC it will be ruin just like on-road soon.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You guys are exactly the people I am talking about. The fact is that it does not matter how my car looks, I measure success at a RACE (which is what we are doing) by my results on the race track. I will never be a copy cat, and I don't get my jollies by pretending that I'm some guy driving a real f1 car. I don't think its cool to be one of 10 red bulls at an event. I get my jollies by winning. And that's why I race. I hope to see you all at snowbirds. I'll be the guy with the ugly body that looks nothing like an f1 car.........
I not sure what you are trying to say here. Are we not attempting to win races because we like things to look sort of realistic? I assure you, I am always trying to win. Win at toy cars, which by definition is pretending to be a guy driving a real car....
Old 11-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Brad, you can make fun of my paint all you want. You will continue to sell your stickers, and there will never be a shortage of people willing to run them. But to turn racers away at the door because of the way the choose to detail their stuff is in conceivable to me.

Can you please tell me how the paint on my car makes a difference to the amount of fun other people have at the track? Or effects competitiveness? Please also tell me what it is that is such a huge change to the class....

Was just poking a little fun dude, honestly for you or whoever is painting your stuff I have total respect , the paintwork is clean and crisp and I know how much time and effort it takes to do a scheme like that as I am a painter myself and I have the skill but not the patience to do what you do. I didn't write the UF1 rules, but I do agree with the wording and I try to stand by them at my events. The reason that people are trying to impose limitations is that a handful of us have been at this for a long time, I have been messing with F1 cars since 1989 and I have seen the class at its peak and at the bottom, I would like to see it stabilize and be a staple class at any given event. We are F1 geeks and we like to one up the other guy with cool details or stuff that no one else has. Part of the thrill is in the build. Prebuilt or prepainted cars have never gone over well because we like doing our own stuff. I'm obviously trying to have my business be profitable, but my reason for being is more giving the customer access to cool stuff at a fair price.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Csaari77
Does anyone have feedback on the new Sweep V2 tires on carpet? How do they compare to the Pit 571/572 combo or the Pardus tires?
Hello
I've tried médium front and hard médium and soft rear . there is to much grip in the front compared to the rear , even with soft tires . the good combination is certainly hard in front and super soft rear
Old 11-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

That’s a good question. Seems kind of ridiculous that your paint scheme would reduce the fun that other people have. I organized the Northwest Asphalt Challenge, and there are no rules stated or implied about body painting, and if you raced with us your awesome looking body would be welcomed and I can’t think of a way it would reduce fun for anyone.

It also sounds like somebody made a comment about your body that didn’t seem respectful to you, even if it was in jest, and that’s unfortunate.

I just picked up an F1 for the first time not too long ago and have been having a blast with it and have been enjoying reading this thread. I’m new to this scene and have been trying to understand how your body and comments could provoke such a firestorm. What I’ve come up with is that somehow your body and/or comments didn’t show due respect to the efforts of the core group of F1 drivers that have helped bring a resurgence to the class.

I think that it is pretty awesome that CRC has created a great F1 car and has talented racers like yourself are winning with it, and I’m hoping that having a company like CRC in the mix will help the class grow even more. I also think that the opportunity for CRC to re-join the class and for you to race it is due in part to the efforts of people organizing UF1 races, and I bet that one of the key ingredients to UF1 races being successful is because of the scale looks including realistic team livery of the cars.

I think F1 is a great class. It appeals to me because the cars just look so darn cool, and there is a range of drivers from novice to expert racing it, so there is good competition as well. The class appeals to new drivers who get sucked in because the cars resemble “real life” cars that they can relate to, and the chassis are capable enough for competitive racers who want the additional fun factor of realistic cars as opposed to TC, WGT, and 12th scale where their isn’t too much realism.

I think back to the late 90’s when I got sucked back into RC racing. I got sucked in because I saw somebody driving a Tamiya TA03 with an Opel body in full Opel livery almost keeping up with the Yokomos and Kyoshos with RC style paint jobs. I didn’t go buy an RC car because I was inspired by the fast sponsored drivers tearing it up, I bought an RC car because that realistic Opel looked so damn cool running around the track and I wanted to be part of that.

I think F1 is great for the hobby because of the realism, and I think it has a bigger potential to attract new drivers than other classes do because of the relatively reasonable price of entry and because they are cars people can relate to. I was inspired by team livery, and I wonder if other new racers will be too.

I am thankful for the organizers of UF1 races and for everyone who put the time and energy into making their F1 cars true to scale, including livery. I think it is a key ingredient to a strong F1 class. I may not always run a body that resembles a “real” F1 paint scheme, but if I race an UF1 race, I will try to comply to the spirit of event because I think the realism is fun and good for the hobby. I want to see people keep the realism alive.

Speaking of realism, I read the UF1 rules and didn’t see any mention of guidelines for body painting/livery except that teams should maintain the same livery throughout the season. Maybe I missed something. Maybe having a line about realistic team livery preferred would be useful.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For those that want real bodies, you should copy the FIA rules regarding what paint scheme are and are not allowed. You should not base what is allowed on what someone has already done.

I have done some looking through the technical regulations. I cannot find anything that says a certain type of paint, flames etc is not allowed. So to look at someones RC F1 and say that is not realistic and would never be done is F1 is false.

There have been plenty of non-traditional paint jobs in F1 who are we to say something would or would not ever be on a F1 car?
Old 11-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

I've been around RC F1 classes since the late F101 days and have seen the class rise and fall many times over the years. It is always the F1 enthusiasts that bring it back the class gets popular and more people join in. But then in the end people get chased away by 2 things and the class dies. First it becomes a money game...Like any other class the more higher end the chassis gets the more expensive it gets and to have a shot at the top you've got to spend money. So that ends up chasing the enthusiasts away. But at the same time the enthusiasts are pushing scale looks because all the performance chassis have the old style pan car front suspensions sticking out and looking horrible. So that chases the racers away. Unfortunately this is not conducive for the long term health of the class. Both types of driver need to be accommodated for the class to survive.

I believe this time around the dynamic has changed and there is great potential for the class to stick around longer than ever! This time around the "scale chassis" and the "race chassis" are starting to meld and be more affordable than ever. With chassis offerings like the Speed Passion SP-1 and the soon to be released CRC WTF-1 we not only have a great racing chassis..but one that fits well within the scale realm also. And both are/will be priced less than the Tamiya scale offering. So now we have the potential for both camps to be happy. As long as we all can just get over ourselves and get along.

Look at what happened with short course trucks...the scale looks of the car and body are what got people interested in the class. The paint didn't matter. As long as manufacturers kept up with the scale looks in chassis and body the class has continued to thrive even with the performance oriented chassis.

I think the same thing has to happen with F1. As long as manufacturers keep with the scale looks in chassis and body...the class will thrive no matter how the cars are painted. In that way the class can appeal to both the purists and the racers alike.

It takes the enthusiasts/purists to get the class going...but it is going to take EVERYONE to keep it going. Sticking to the overall scale appearance is important...but we must make sure not to overdo it or that will kill the class just as surely as going toward pure performance cars would as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.