R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #9586
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
Personally, it think racing in a heat where there are four ferraris, 3 lotus, and 3 red bulls is boring.
If you have ever watched or attended a real F1 race you would see 2 Ferraris, 2 Lotus', 2 Red Bulls and 2 Toro Rossas, if fact you would see two of each team. And you think that's boring????? I have never seen an F1 with flames painted on it, an Indy car maybe but never an F1.

Think back a few years back when all the cars had to be painted their National color. USA; White and Blue, Italy; Red, Germany; Silver, Britain; BRG.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #9587
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Like I said man I am not trying to pick a fight with you, and like I also said paint your car any way you want to, I said it before and I will say it again. It is just my opinion. My opiniion is also that everytime a class gets started and enthusiast show interest in it for simple reasons someone comes along and wants to change it to suite themselves. This class was started a long time ago and died because of faster cars, motor wars and the list could go on. It has had a resurgence over the last few years for its simplicity and looks, and that is what makes it fun for most of us who race this class. Like Rick says no one including myself would turn you away from a race, that is not what I am about and most people who know me will testify to the fact that I am not an ass when it comes to racing toy cars, I would just like for once something to remain pure and fun. All classes have specific rules, touring cars have 190 width rules and body and tires are open. USGT has no dish wheel rules, and from what I gather from the IIC race in vegas scotty wanted a realistic paint rule for the class, I dont know I wasnt there but thats what I heard. 12th scale is open to what ever you want as well, so why cant f1 have specific rules to the class and people just follow them, it's really that simple.

My question is this: If an event said that they were having f1 as a class and they stated the rule that you body must look like a real livery would you comply to the rule, complain about the rule or not race the class, all these options are yours to do, no one is saying that you cant state your opinion, but I would ask that you do it calmly. I have never met you Mario and I would hope to meet you at a race someday and shake your hand and tell you that I have no ill will toward you, I hear you are a great racer and we only have a difference in opinion and thats all.
mrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #9588
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

WOW I think you may have read that post with some bad feelings already in mindÖperhaps even looking for an online brawl.

Nobody was saying you ďhave toĒ paint your car like a replica. I was agreeing with MRodís opinion of what F1ís should look like. I happen to be one of the people on this thread that can appreciate what it takes to make an R/C replica, I do it with my F1ís, and even my sedanís back in the day. I like my cars to represent the cars I like and see on the track and TV. That just happens to be what Iím into. I can also appreciate what it takes to paint up a body like yours. I realize itís unique and represents you, but personally that style is not for me.

Iíll go to go out on limb here and say that ďmostĒ people that race, run, participate, or collect R/C F1ís do so because they appreciate the detail or realism. If youíve read a few of the comments on this thread you should be able to understand the basic gist of that. Nobody has said you canít raceÖthey just donít prefer your paint job. That seems to have rubbed you the wrong way and is something you need to deal with.

Iíll put it to you this way, and try not to take this personal, if I was judging concourse for F1 and there was a detailed Lotus and yours sitting next to it (the one from the pic above), Iíd probably gravitate towards the Lotus, based on the details (livery, driver, helmet, realism, even if itís a fictitious team) But, thatís me, and judging can be subjective.

Now all of this is my opinion, and just like you Iím entitled to it, and even allowed to share itÖthatís why I started this thread five years ago. If any of this has upset youÖwell, thatís on you. It was never my intention to p*ss anyone off by agreeing with someone else over something thatís being blown out of proportion.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #9589
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
If you have ever watched or attended a real F1 race you would see 2 Ferraris, 2 Lotus', 2 Red Bulls and 2 Toro Rossas, if fact you would see two of each team. And you think that's boring????? I have never seen an F1 with flames painted on it, an Indy car maybe but never an F1.

Think back a few years back when all the cars had to be painted their National color. USA; White and Blue, Italy; Red, Germany; Silver, Britain; BRG.
Never???

gtypecanare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #9590
Tech Elite

And I also have no ill will toward you. But I do have a problem with someone who comes up to me and says point blank, your bodies should be disallowed, and there should be rules that make all cars be copies.

That is my point. You can't leave it up to one person or a group of people to say that one paint job is ok, while others are not. Or one paint job is in the "sprit" of f1, and one is not. Let people enjoy what they are doing. If it's not what you would do, that's ok, but don't try to force your vision of what you think it should be on others.

Like I said, mrod, I have no problem with you either, and I don't mean to come across like I am attacking you personally, you were just the first one to respond.

F1 is growing, and it is growing fast, gaining acceptance by many manufactures who are giveing it the credit it should get. That attention has the potential to pull f1 from the ranks of a "funster" class to a truly respected form of onroad racing.

I'm not a huge fan of real f1. I like it, I think the cars are cool. I don't follow it, I don't watch it on tv, unless flipping thru channels and come across it. I love the way the cars look, I love the fact that it's different from anything I have ever raced. I hope Rc f1 is the shot in the arm onroad needs. I would love to see a race with 40 or 50 f1s at it. I'm not trying to change the class to suit me. I'm just trying to run a body that doesn't look like anyone else's without being viewed as a threat to the sanctity of f1 racing around the world.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #9591
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Good arguments guys, but F1 will never be as badass as NASCAR...

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #9592
Tech Elite

Not looking for an online brawl, just looking for acceptance from the establishment that there others who would choose to do something different.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #9593
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
you are missing the point completely. I DONT WANT TO LOOK LIKE A REAL F1 CAR!!!!!!! i want my stuff to look the way I think real f1 cars SHOULD look. if you don't like pink flames, fineÖÖ don't use em. but don't tell me i should use sheets of decals, or try to come up with a "look" that "might be" real, just to make the class what you think it should be.

i don't care if you agree with my paint or not. I'm racing how i want to race. my problem is with people trying to tell other people what to do with their stuff. you have absolutely no ground to stand on when you say something "could be real" i come from a drag racing family, and there are some pretty radical paint jobs out there. plus, along with the wrapping craze that is going crazy right now in real racing, anything is possible. with f1 cars that have looked like this, you have no merit to your argument.
All I said was do whatever you want but dont be upset when people dont like it. I just wanted to point out there are ways to be creative without looking like every sedan body out there.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #9594
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtypecanare View Post
Never???

Never. But that is a cute RC car. Not a real livery but decent psuedo-livery.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #9595
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
We have like 3 or 4 Marlboro Honda F1s on our track... they look great, don't get me wrong, but personally I'm happy to be the one yellow F1 with semi-accurate Renault stickers. Plus, yellow IS the fastest color... just sayin'
Been painting my 1/12, sedans, and nitro on-road cars with the Marlboro scheme for years. Used to do in in the late 80's too. Now that I have an F1, I'm happy to finally be able to run it on the car it was made for!

But hey, at least I take the time to paint the helmet blue and white for Prost. Not easy one-color yellow for the drama queen.

Badly influencing a new generation of racers!

Last edited by ~McSmooth~; 11-07-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: add picture
~McSmooth~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #9596
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Never. But that is a cute RC car. Not a real livery but decent psuedo-livery.
That's is a real livery, was made for the Monaco GP in 2005, promotion for the latest star wars movie.

Even the pit men were dresses as troopers:

jimjav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #9597
Tech Regular

Can we just get back to discussing racing in this awesome class

I relish racing with Mario whatever colour or design his car was running. My preference is for scale, his is for stunning artwork. Doesn't matter a jot...

Our UK nationals this year had less than ten F1 entries. I see the IIC had around double the F1 class entries of 2012. Surely we need to welcome more racers to this class and not push those that do want to race away?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #9598
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There are already races that pull in 40 plus rcf1's. They race once a month in SoCal. I highly recommend it! Came all the way from Texas to race with the original UF1.
racer robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #9599
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Two races ago we had 12 F1s during a regular club race, it was chaos, but epic! Last week we had 7, but overall the turnout is still pretty solid. But we also have a very big Scale Spec (VTA-ish) class, so a lot of our racers like scale looks. I'm super happy to be running F1 this year, I'm loving it!

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #9600
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

OK you scale freaks, what about the squealy tyre thing. I have yet to hear F1 tyres squealing...what kinda colouration is that !!

I keep forgetting to to a "Be on Edge" paint job. And I wanna do a 6 wheel Tyrell but the rools wont let ma......Whaaaaaaaaa

I just love this F1 latest flavour. I been at it for 3 years. For me, it's the squealy tyres that keeps me in then game. We sometimes get 12 car mains at TZ. Now that's fun especially when we do pit stops.

Then there's Dave Ehrlich's paint job. Not much you can say about that !

Jacko
Victor Vector is offline   Reply With Quote