R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #9331
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasi View Post
Thanks for the advice, edhchoe, but Shimizu tires are hard to get here in Germany.
I'm able to choose between Ride and Tamiya, but the Ride tires don't work on that track.

A friend of mine got the Tamiya rear soft and the front hard tires on his Serpent F110 but he's struggling with too much grip at the front.
So I thought maybe the tamiya tires without "SOFT" or "HARD" in their description could be medium ones to avoid that much grip on the front.
The older Tamiya tires suck on carpet, any combination, sorry.
But if your only choice is to run them then for sure the option soft and the "kit" fronts (medium is what we call them too)would be best.
But look below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't (at least some) Tamiya tires re-branded Pit tires?
Tamiya did rebrand the Pit Shimizu 571/572 combo and their numbers are 1031/1032 and have TCS molded on the sidewalls and there is only 1 type of front and 1 type of rear. Disregard what they have marked on the package!!!! Hard rears etc. They work and they are definitely what you want to get your hands on anyway you can IF you cannot get the Pit Shimizu combos pictured above.
I would do anything I could and pay the crazy shipping and get the Pit or TCS/Pit tires and you will destroy the guys that are stuck with the original Tamiya crap tires.
The Pit or TCS tires only mount on the Tamiya rims for FOAM tires! #51378
Old 09-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #9332
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Spent all evening rearranging stuff on my GP.
This is the neatest job I have done. I hope it handles as good as it looks.
I will find out on Saturday.

edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #9333
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, edhchoe, but Shimizu tires are hard to get here in Germany.
I'm able to choose between Ride and Tamiya, but the Ride tires don't work on that track.

A friend of mine got the Tamiya rear soft and the front hard tires on his Serpent F110 but he's struggling with too much grip at the front.
So I thought maybe the tamiya tires without "SOFT" or "HARD" in their description could be medium ones to avoid that much grip on the front.
Familiar problem for me too. While Cuda is right in the racing context, the step to pay "crazy" shipping costs for a set of tires for having fun with a friend is a little high. I just used foam tires as our club rules are open in this regard.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:22 AM   #9334
Tech Regular

Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't (at least some) Tamiya tires re-branded Pit tires?
the TCS are pit shimitzu yes

ooops didnt' saw F N CUDA answer ..
Old 09-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #9335
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

You get to run foams?
Now yer talkin!
Cheater!
Pre mounts from Tamiya, 200mm car. Game over.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #9336
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Ed, your a week behind. That arrangement peaked at 13.4, I have adjusted the weight distribution again along with a few other tweaks moving the new bar to 13.2. I have to say it was impressive to see 17.5 sedans moving over for me on a practice day.

Saturday we'll see how it all works at the hanger and then on the pavement in bremerton sunday.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #9337
Tech Master

I am over 1sec slower than you. I ordered a new Reedy sonic Mach 2. They are on sale at A main. We will see if the new motor will shave off a couple tenths.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #9338
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
@Terry, any idea if these are sold in the US? If not, any mail order provide who will ship to the US?
Haven't a clue, not sure if they are for sale yet but I've not seen them in any of the usual F1 online stores yet. Just came across the information and posted it for everyone. Should be available through anyone that sells Blitz touring shells.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #9339
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Unless you are forced to run only Ride and Tamiya tyres, it is worth getting Pits. If you must use Tamiya tyres the TCS ones are so much better than any other, but you will have to buy them from the USA. If your friend is running the Tamiya hard fronts and soft rears and still has too much front grip you won't be able to get a better balance with standard Tamiya tyres.

I get my parts and tyres from RCMart because they are cheaper than buying retail in the UK, including postage costs.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #9340
Tech Regular

same thing here , i've tried a lot of tires on carpet and for me only two brand are usable : ride but you must use a lot of sauce on the front tires , and the combo pit 571/572 who works so good compared to the other.

then you'll find pardus , tamiya and sweep , but they have isues to works correctly (traction roll , or spin)

so go for rcmart and buy some Pit, you'll save money and troubles
Old 09-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #9341
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhchoe View Post
I am over 1sec slower than you. I ordered a new Reedy sonic Mach 2. They are on sale at A main. We will see if the new motor will shave off a couple tenths.
The mach 2 isn't as good as the older sonic, but the new Vulcan spec is looking strong. So far I have tested the various Novak, reedy, trinity, speedpassion, and thunder power motors with the Vulcan, original sonic and thunderpower motors slightly better than the others. From best to worst I have seen no more than .2/lap difference with nearly all within .1/lap of the fastest 3. I haven't tried the schuur speed or the new orca. I got the mach 2 going best @ 2.9 w/ 25deg timing. It faded hard when timed like the original sonic and spooled up to slow with taller gearing.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #9342
Tech Master

Wow. Thanks. I was feeling my sonics were not running as hard as they used to.
Do you dyno them also or test them on the track only?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #9343
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I just got my Vodafone McLaren body kit, my first F1 body. I'm a bit... overwhelmed

Ok, if I'm reading the instructions correctly, they want me to cut off the existing side pontoons and replace them with the separate ones provided in the kit, correct? I assume this is strictly for more scale looks? I'm thinking I don't want to do that, as a 1-piece body is much stronger. Anyone else with me on that? Or will my body look funky without them?

I also see an induction pod, which looks like a required piece as that's where the air intake piece attaches. I would have thought they'd mold that in one go, but maybe the shape is too complicated.

Lastly, the bargeboard pieces look super fragile.. am I right in thinking that they'll be ripped from the body as soon as another F1 makes contact?

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #9344
Tech Master

The body holds up very well even with all the cut out pieces put together. The barge boards and the side pontoons are held by small screws as well as double sided tape or shoe goo.
The side collisions are rare and the part that breaks before anything from hard crashes like a cartwheeling is the rear wing in my experience. And the air duct falls off from sliding upside down. I put two screws on the air intake and that has stayed even in upside down sliding on asphalt.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #9345
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhchoe View Post
The body holds up very well even with all the cut out pieces put together. The barge boards and the side pontoons are held by small screws as well as double sided tape or shoe goo.
The side collisions are rare and the part that breaks before anything from hard crashes like a cartwheeling is the rear wing in my experience. And the air duct falls off from sliding upside down. I put two screws on the air intake and that has stayed even in upside down sliding on asphalt.
Well, I'm not super obsessed about having the perfect McLeran body, which is why I'm wondering if I can skip out on the pontoon fiasco. I was hoping to have the body ready for Saturday, but now I don't think that's going to happen either way. So, I'll just watch you

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote