R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #8851
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
This question is for those who have painted their Lotus 49 VF1 body in the classic Lotus color scheme of green with the yellow stripe: Did you use the Tamiya polycarbonate paints? I would prefer to have the body airbrushed, but I can't find any of the Tamiya poly paints in the little jars for airbrushing. The poly paints seem to only be available in a spray can for some reason.

Any suggestions?
You could empty the spray can into an airbrush, but you will probably use quite a bit of paint doing it that way.
The scheme is simple enough that rattle can should t be that big of a problem
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #8852
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Haters gonna hate

Old 06-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #8853
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
You could empty the spray can into an airbrush, but you will probably use quite a bit of paint doing it that way.
The scheme is simple enough that rattle can should t be that big of a problem
Thank's for the help Brad.

Is there anything going on with Paintlab carrying that VF1 package? I would still be interested in that.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #8854
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=wtcc;12304175]Haters gonna hate

I noticed that with my foggy eyes...
Old 06-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #8855
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
Haters gonna hate
[/url]
Doesnt look all that bad,but the normal Cross/TRG rear wing has a lot of down force and weighs less than what you have going on here. You might be surprised how much difference it would make compaired to the rear wing you are running now.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #8856
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
This question is for those who have painted their Lotus 49 VF1 body in the classic Lotus color scheme of green with the yellow stripe: Did you use the Tamiya polycarbonate paints? I would prefer to have the body airbrushed, but I can't find any of the Tamiya poly paints in the little jars for airbrushing. The poly paints seem to only be available in a spray can for some reason.

Any suggestions?
Interesting...looking at Tamiya's web site it no longer lists a bottle paint for lexan...the whole PS bottle line is gone.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #8857
Tech Regular

Quote:
Haters gonna hate

I applaud your creativity. Your previous setup with the wings mounted near the body posts reminds me of a 1/12th scale setup where the downforce from the body isn't transmitted directly to the motor pod but through the body posts to the main chassis. I'm assuming this works really well.

Someone here once mentioned that the downforce from an F1 wing mounted on the back portion of the rear pod acts like a lever over the wheels and tries to extend the rear pod (I'm probably mixed up on this) and isn't the best way to get downforce to the rear wheels.

I would think the best setup would be to have the wing mounted (or the center of pressure for the wing) directly over the rear axle.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #8858
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

why not get a adjustable rear wing? Save you having to make custom stuff...
pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #8859
Tech Master

Thanks again for the input!
I guess before buying new parts I tend to look what I have laying around and do it my way. It is always a try and error game, but I like it that way. Nevertheless I will keep your suggestions in mind!

After I couldn't test the wing extensions this weekend I have some test days coming. Feels like real F1
Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #8860
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Where you at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaguyjean View Post
Just wondering where you are running at?
I race at West Mountain Hobbies in Kumamoto and K's in Fukouka.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #8861
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
FYI this mod is not new, guys were doing this (when needed) a long time ago but wasn't TCS legal. This car has so much steering as it is but the extra camber does help with the extreme tire wear on foams.
Since this camber modification is "not new", why hasn't anyone ever mentioned it before? Understandably, it wasn't TCS legal, but I'm just curious to know why no one has ever mentioned it in their F1 blogs? Rob K I'm looking at you .

Anyway, thanks again for letting me know.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #8862
Tech Addict

It doesn't really matter if it is a new or old trick, a lot of people like myself didn't know about it, and want to try it - so thanks a lot. Mine is now ready to go for the next meeting!!!
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #8863
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thanks again for the input!
I guess before buying new parts I tend to look what I have laying around and do it my way. It is always a try and error game, but I like it that way. Nevertheless I will keep your suggestions in mind!

After I couldn't test the wing extensions this weekend I have some test days coming. Feels like real F1
If it works, they will ban it, trust me, I know
Losi SCTE #8NZ-2014 Tekin-savox-Tekno
S Workz 350BK1 electric converted Tekin-savox
ST RR Truggy #8NZ-2014 electric converted Tekin-savox
SC10 Tekin-savox
Baja 5B dirt mod-2015 Summer Slam Champion.
RossNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #8864
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
Since this camber modification is "not new", why hasn't anyone ever mentioned it before? Understandably, it wasn't TCS legal, but I'm just curious to know why no one has ever mentioned it in their F1 blogs? Rob K I'm looking at you .
I've never used it because I've never needed it. For more camber there's the Yeah Racing knuckle arms with camber built in, the 3racing front arm upgrade, and in the old days before the carbon reinforced front arms you added camber just by bending the upper arms, using turnbuckles to keep them bent if necessary. Bending the upper arms could also pass as TCS legal, after all it's just accident damage.

I use the standard front end as standard, occasionally truing up the coning on the tyres. The car handles great so not had a need to change it. There is a downside to trimming back the middle posts, it cuts out a lot of plastic around the screws holding the front end in place. Not a problem if you only have kerbs to run over but with solid track barriers you have a much bigger chance of splitting the upper arm in the middle.

BTW you are worried about being Tamiya legal, cutting the centre posts down is more obvious than cleaning the notch out of the outer screw holes and adding a small spacer in the cup when screwing the outer ends of the arms together, as well as giving you a little more adjustment on the kingpin.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #8865
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post

Anyway, thanks again for letting me know.
The F103 front end has been around over 15 years,it has been hacked,cut lowered,rigged,bent, warped, melted, painted,striped,lightened,weighted,reversed and even more un-godly things have been done to it.
There isnt anything new you can do to it that hasnt been done before.Tamiya didnt even come up with the idea to make it from carbon.So you know if Tamiya cant come up with a new idea,its unlikly anybody else will
Ever find yourself near Yokohama I can show you some tips for you F1.