Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2895Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:21 PM
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastolfart
Being an old bugger, I would like to see some of the older F5000 bodies from the 1970's become available. Maybe the F103 class could have a new rising.
The earlier (pre 2000) are the better looking cars for sure....The newer generation just look poor by comparison.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SH
The earlier (pre 2000) are the better looking cars for sure....The newer generation just look poor by comparison.
Hmmmm. Let me guess how old you are...
Old 04-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Newbie Question: Why is it not legal to cut out the air ducts in racing RC F1's? I would think that having air ducts cut out does not really affect the realism of the body that much. The benefit of better cooling should also out weigh any negative.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

All my bodies have open air intake.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default FGX Body on TRG

Originally Posted by OOOYAH
A little off topic but does anyone know which bodies fit a TRG111 with no modification?
Do TRG bodies come pre cut?
I can't seem to find any info online unfortunately
Here are a couple of pics of my TRG 112N with an FGX body on it. I'm pretty sure it is very similar to the 111

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-fgx-trg-112n.jpg

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-2013-04-22_21-14-46_574.jpg
Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Default Open Ducts

Originally Posted by PhilippineEagle
Newbie Question: Why is it not legal to cut out the air ducts in racing RC F1's? I would think that having air ducts cut out does not really affect the realism of the body that much. The benefit of better cooling should also out weigh any negative.
Never heard of that rule. The places I've raced and the articles I've read suggest doing it for cooling. I do it to all my cars, except the VF1...
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Tech Champion

ROAR doesn't allow holes other than for body posts in electric because in the past people have cut out the holes much larger to get an aerodynamic advantage. Many clubs don't follow that rule though and allow the intake holes to be cut out.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edhchoe
Hmmmm. Let me guess how old you are...
Nothing to do with age...High noses with wings hanging off them are just not pleasing to look at.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
ROAR doesn't allow holes other than for body posts in electric because in the past people have cut out the holes much larger to get an aerodynamic advantage. Many clubs don't follow that rule though and allow the intake holes to be cut out.
I understand racers wanting an extra edge in aerodynamics but I think I prefer realism and cooling when cutting out holes. IMO, Aerodynamics should be in adjustments of the front and rear wings.

Originally Posted by edhchoe
All my bodies have open air intake.
Does that also include the side air vents?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

I understand racers wanting an extra edge in aerodynamics but I think I prefer realism and cooling when cutting out holes. IMO, Aerodynamics should be in adjustments of the front and rear wings.

Does that also include the side air vents?
There's a lot more to aero than just wings. The biggest place this was an issue was in oval racing. Racers would cut as much out of the rear of the body as possible to allow air to more easily vent out the back of the car. As those rules became more strict they looked to other areas. In those days wings were attached to the rear pod of the chassis with piano wire. Holes had to be drilled in the body for the wing wire to go through and attach to the chassis. Over time those holes got bigger and bigger to allow air to vent through them.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

InspGadgt: Thanks for the explanations. I am still new to RC and about to buy my first F1 kit. I am going with Tamiya because of parts support here in the Philippines. But I really prefer the Yokomo YRF 001W design because the ESC and Rx are on the sides where they could benefit from open side air duct cooling.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

If you run a full length battery pack on the F104, the SP-1, and the TRG112 then the electronics will mount on the sides like the Yokomo does. They all have little wing areas to mount the electronics at.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you again. I am trying to back read this thread and other F1 posts... Taking me a long time and I need a break from the computer. Information overload but well worth the headache. Just hope I can remember everything.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

I got piano wire installed in my wings.
.055" looked too thin so I went with one step above which was .068" if I recall correctly.
I drilled out 1/16" holes in the spines and poked the wire thru. I used a lock cutter to cut the wire into 14.5 cm pieces. I didn't put any glue on because the holes were tight.
I intentionally made the middle hole tad bit lower so the wire would slightly bow up when installed. But upon further inspection I should have just made the holes at the same height because the middle hole being lower had the opposite effect.
So I made the third one at the same height.

Last edited by edhchoe; 04-22-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Default Body Holes

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Probably should not comment anymore on this but what the heck!

First point is: ROAR rules are basically confusing and pretty much unusable. (I say this as a member, a former Region 3 Director, and Body Committee Chairman, ROAR #1589)

One example is in the 1/10th Open-Wheel, Indy, CART, Formula 1 section it only allows foam tires and the dimensions are basically set-up for the very type of pan cars nearly all F1 groups will not allow. Very few classes actually follow ROAR rules to the letter anymore....imho

But in this case, the way I read the rules anyway, the section on bodys (6.0, page 30) covers the body cut outs and I cannot find it mentioned elsewhere (please reference it if I have missed it (I AM old, actually went to many 1:1 F5000 races, 5 in 1974 alone!))

6.1.10 Openings in the body other than those appropriate to full-size vehicle openings such as grill, scoops, air vents, etc., must be kept to a minimum. Specifically servos, receivers, batteries, and servo savers are not allowed to protrude through the original body shell.

Now if ROAR would just get rid of the brushed motor rules and do a complete update....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.