R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #7396
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyger View Post
Hey Rob, I know the servo mounts your referring to, but I'm not 100% sure they'll fit a mini servo securely unless you add some shims or spacers(sides and bottom). The 9602 is really small. It's just a bit taller than the center of the F103 A-arms. Just my $0.02

Wow that servo is nuts! I have a JR 1/12 servo in one of my 104's and it fits great with the alternative mounts, but I could see it being a problem in a 103.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #7397
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
The car will become a Lotus 49. British racing green and yellow paint is already ordered and will hopefully arrive on wednesday. What I still need is a proper driver head. The best I found is this: http://www.rc-news.de/wp-content/upl...ahrerfigur.jpg

Does anybody got an alternative idea?
(Outherwise Kimi has to jump in and I don't know if he wants that )
Good stuff, we have 3 black & gold lotus on the track last weekend, and in my head cam video, they are pretty much stealth anyways...

what chassis is going to be fit in this body? I doubt even the new serpent's super narrow body is narrow enough.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #7398
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A F104 chassis will do the job. Manny designed the body for it. You can find pictures of a F104 with F160 body here: www.vf1club.com

Where can I find that video?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #7399
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
I received my F160 bodylast week after a record breaking short shipping to Germany

As vintage bodies are rare I want to share Manny's creation while building it. Today I would like to show the first steps trimming the body and checking how the parts fit together:

This is how the parts arrive (forgot to add the nosecone).

First I made sure that I don't make any mistake trimming and rechecked with the manual Manny put online (http://www.vintagegp.net/VGP-Build.html).

Then I cut out every part.

To fully understand Manny's intention I put everything together. I was already excited and couldn't resist to put tires next to the body and my actual F104 that is how good it looks

The car will become a Lotus 49. British racing green and yellow paint is already ordered and will hopefully arrive on wednesday. What I still need is a proper driver head. The best I found is this: http://www.rc-news.de/wp-content/upl...ahrerfigur.jpg

Looking good, I am anxious to paint up and decal the one that I have, and I will be working with Manny to get them in the Paintlab Online shop.
One thought on this, since it is a vintage car, maybe the powertrain should be vintage, round cells and silve cans perhaps?
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #7400
Tech Adept

I did not cut mine yet. I always do it wrong and wanted to get some help with that. Thanks wtcc.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #7401
Tech Fanatic

I sent an email to beetlelover at Tamiyaclub to ask him if he could make the driver head/helmet for the VF1 cars. I will post here when I hear something. If you go back a page or two, you will see that addicted2blue posted that he(beetlelover) is an expert at that.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #7402
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
What I still need is a proper driver head.

Maybe use the driver head from the Sand Scorcher as a base - then modify it with visors ?

P-Parts

Old 03-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #7403
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

"One thought on this, since it is a vintage car, maybe the powertrain should be vintage, round cells and silve cans perhaps?[/QUOTE]

Brad... Charles Lightfoot and Manny collaborated on a good set of rules for this class @ vf1.com to simulate the realistic handling challenges these cars had in their day compared to the modern F1 cars.
Leester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #7404
Tech Rookie

There is alot more work involved with that vf1 body then I thought... Still cool though.
Lynn Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #7405
Tech Initiate

lol looks like you have the same projects I have going on
Attached Thumbnails
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-photo-1.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-photo-2.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-photo-3.jpg  
mbueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #7406
Tech Initiate

Sorry for the pics being soo dull.. phone camera + bad lighting... btw I stuck some F103 wheels on it for those pics, I think it gives it more of that vintage look, bigger tire in the back.. Although I know that might not be correct for this exact era, right before they got wings I believe they went to a chubby tire.. not facts just my .02 correct me if im wrong, dont wanna mislead anyone..

on another note, thanks again Manny
mbueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:51 AM   #7407
Tech Master

Thanks for all that input guys!

Round cell and silver can: Since it is all under the hood and has nothing to do with 1960 F1 I don't care much and am not motivated in buying this stuff. The other reason is, that tis car will be fired up by a 17.5t and LRP Flow with powerprograms if I can handle it . My club will race a formula class this year and we have to go 15 Minutes races. Electronics and tires are free of choice, so no chance for cell and silver can
Old 03-26-2013, 02:25 AM   #7408
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbueno View Post
Sorry for the pics being soo dull.. phone camera + bad lighting... btw I stuck some F103 wheels on it for those pics, I think it gives it more of that vintage look, bigger tire in the back.. Although I know that might not be correct for this exact era, right before they got wings I believe they went to a chubby tire.. not facts just my .02 correct me if im wrong, dont wanna mislead anyone..

on another note, thanks again Manny
Thank You! I really like the big tire look. If you look closely at the pics of the prototype on the VF1 website you'll see that my car has f104W tires from the Lotus 79 kit. They don't get any bigger than that unless you use the Tamiya Indycar wheels!

I was telling Lightfoot that the Vf1 spec car looks like a mid 60's car with skinnier wheels and narrower track. If you go the f104w route with f103 suspension and big tires then it looks more like a later 60's car.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #7409
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
I sent an email to beetlelover at Tamiyaclub to ask him if he could make the driver head/helmet for the VF1 cars. I will post here when I hear something. If you go back a page or two, you will see that addicted2blue posted that he(beetlelover) is an expert at that.
He is a true master in sculping and painting driver heads, in my opinion one of the best on the planet.
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #7410
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2blue View Post
He is a true master in sculping and painting driver heads, in my opinion one of the best on the planet.
Almost forgot to thank you two too! I wrote him a PM, but he seems to be seldom on rctech.