R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #7336
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=aarcobra;11934256]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post

You could use the 104 front end with the VTA wheels and "regular" wheel nuts but the width would be pretty narrow. The 103 type is all stock stuff. the ends of the axles sitck out a bit but a Dremel cut off wheel will take care of that!
I think I found an even more "period correct" front end and have it on order. I'll fill you in when I know more.
I'll post more pix and explainations of what I did on the front later...

Ned

So, I went to the Integy site and came up with the following parts to convert the F104 to the HPI VTA wheels and tires for my VF1 car I plan to build.

(1) Item# F103GT-29
Front knuckle set

(2) Item# F103GT-10/LB
Front wheel axle

(3) Item# F103GT-23
+2mm offset 12mm front wheel adapter

(4) Item# F103GT-16/LB
Diff housing

(5) Item# F103GT-32/LB
+2mm offset rear wheel adapter

So, if I get these; will they fit the F104 axle, and will they allow me to use the HPI VTA wheels? I really prefer that wheel/tire combo for my VF1 60's F1 car, as opposed to the tires specified by VF1 Club rules. I will be doing our own version of that class. Most things will follow VF1 rules with the exception of tires and hopefully front arms, (I'm waiting to see Ned's more "period correct" front end he has on order).

I'm also thinking of using the F104 V2 chassis with the link rear end instead of the F104 with the t-bar that Manuel uses. I think the link rear end is far superior in overall use, especially if you're going to race these on a parking lot track as I will be. With the F104 V2 chassis I will have to cut off/remove the small side wing/plates on the chassis to make it fit under the Lotus 49 body. I think I can take it to a machine shop and have them buzz them off and sand them for me for not too much.

Now I just need to find a better period drivers head/helmet than the vintage airplane figures suggested by Manuel at VF1. Any ideas?

Last edited by Team Lotus; 03-19-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #7337
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950detroit View Post
Toledo. I have the other Vodafone car. I was in the B main.
Well hey stop over and say hi. You blend in very well into the back ground. I didn't even see where you where pitted at last week. Our corner is always willing to help out if you have any set up questions.
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #7338
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

VBC racing released pricing for the new Flash 04 @ $427.99 USD. Can be found on their website and you can preorder.

http://www.vbcracing.com/products/vb...-d-05-vbc-0075

Pricing is a bit steep (although people will come back with this being a full option car - without wings, tires, and body)?

What will dealers being charging?

Anyone have some insight?

Thanks

G-man
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #7339
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default VTA Tires on F1 Chassis

[QUOTE=Team Lotus;11950084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post

So, I went to the Integy site and came up with the following parts to convert the F104 to the HPI VTA wheels and tires for my VF1 car I plan to build.

Lotus, The first three items from the 103GT may not work. Although I have not tried them, the front knuckle set, F103GT-29, look like they only fit an "H" style lower arm, like a TC car. The parts I used were put on a F103 width front end.

I used FGX parts: FGX-331 Front axle/FGX-107 Plastic Parts-hubs/FGX-325 king pins. forgot front bearings!

(1) Item# F103GT-29
Front knuckle set

(2) Item# F103GT-10/LB
Front wheel axle

(3) Item# F103GT-23
+2mm offset 12mm front wheel adapter

These are the same as I used I used:

(4) Item# F103GT-16/LB
Diff housing

(5) Item# F103GT-32/LB
+2mm offset rear wheel adapter

So, if I get these; will they fit the F104 axle, and will they allow me to use the HPI VTA wheels?

If you use the F104 axle the front width will be under 190mm, maybe down to the 180mm range. That's why I used the 103/FGX combo.

I really prefer that wheel/tire combo for my VF1 60's F1 car, as opposed to the tires specified by VF1 Club rules. I will be doing our own version of that class. Most things will follow VF1 rules with the exception of tires and hopefully front arms, (I'm waiting to see Ned's more "period correct" front end he has on order).

I'll post a pic if I can find the site where I order it from...

I'm also thinking of using the F104 V2 chassis with the link rear end instead of the F104 with the t-bar that Manny uses. I think the link rear end is far superior in overall use, especially if you're going to race these on a parking lot track as I will be. With the F104 V2 chassis I will have to cut off/remove the small side wing/plates on the chassis to make it fit under the Lotus 49 body. I think I can take it to a machine shop and have them buzz them off and sand them for me for not too much.

Now I just need to find a better period drivers head/helmet than the vintage airplane figures suggested by Manny at VF1. Any ideas?
This driver looks pretty good, but needs goggles and a face mask/hankerchief. Plus the rest of the body parts could be used with a "modern helmet" in a cool VTA car!!!.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tamiya-D...item5aef5c98f1
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #7340
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=aarcobra;11950364]
Quote:

This driver looks pretty good, but needs goggles and a face mask/hankerchief. Plus the rest of the body parts could be used with a "modern helmet" in a cool VTA car!!!.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tamiya-D...item5aef5c98f1

Thank you for the help Ned, as well as the FGX part numbers. I hope you can find a pic of that front end you ordered. Also, that driver figure might just work. If I can make some goggles and a peak for his helmet and the face mask, we'll have something!

Another question: Will the F103GT diff housing and +2mm offset rear wheel adapter fit the F104 rear axle?

Another question: Are the FGX bearings you forgot the #BS-FGX/V1 ball bearing set? Will all these FGX parts fit the F104 front end? I noticed you said you used an F103 front end, but in the pic you posted, it looked like the 3 Racing F109 front end. I'm confused.

Last edited by Team Lotus; 03-19-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #7341
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Team Lotus;11950469]
Quote:

Thank you for the help Ned, as well as the FGX part numbers. I hope you can find a pic of that front end you ordered.

Here's the link. It's fromRCMART : http://www.rcmart.com/tech-racing-10...h=595_744_1221 the thinner upper arm looks more like the period type on the Lotus 49 which seems to be the closest to Manny's body.

Attachment 1045622

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-tech104190c.jpg

Also, that driver figure might just work. If I can make some goggles and a peak for his helmet and the face mask, we'll have something!

Attachment 1045621

Another question: Will the F103GT diff housing and +2mm offset rear wheel adapter fit the F104 rear axle?
Since I have a box of parts, I'm not positive which axle I have but the +2 parts seem to be added on the hex ends so the axle is the same.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #7342
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=aarcobra;11950624]
Quote:

Since I have a box of parts, I'm not positive which axle I have but the +2 parts seem to be added on the hex ends so the axle is the same.
Ned, that front end is exactly what I'm looking for! You "nailed it" my friend!! Let us know how it works when you get it. I'm thinking that if I paint it chrome silver, it will look very close to the Lotus 49 front arms. Awesome! Everyone interested in the VF1 should see this front end!

The other attachment 1045621 for the driver will not post on RC Tech for some reason. You might want to try that again.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #7343
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Team Lotus;11950469]
Quote:

Another question: Are the FGX bearings you forgot the #BS-FGX/V1 ball bearing set? Will all these FGX parts fit the F104 front end? I noticed you said you used an F103 front end, but in the pic you posted, it looked like the 3 Racing F109 front end. I'm confused.
Any 5mmx8mm bearings will work. The Titanium option axles are a better fit in the bearings so that's why I use them on the list. there are steel ones taht will work. They fit the 104 but again it is narrow. I'll mock up the different options I can tomorrow and show you what the result is. I have a bad habit of saying "F103 when refering to any wide front end. As far as I know, the F103, F103GT, F104W, F109. are all the same width. Sorry.

I did stumble on info on the F103GT parts you found and the steering knuckle/hub fooled me! It looked like a rear type hub but turn it 90 degrees and I can see how it fits. It has alot of trailing caster and my not be wide enough for what we are doing. There is a plastic version from Tamiya on the "T" plastic tree that woudl be cheaper to try. I saw it on speedtech. Next time I order from them I'll get a set to check out.

Later,
Ned
Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #7344
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Team Lotus;11950696]
Quote:

Ned, that front end is exactly what I'm looking for! You "nailed it" my friend!! Let us know how it works when you get it. I'm thinking that if I paint it chrome silver, it will look very close to the Lotus 49 front arms. Awesome! Everyone interested in the VF1 should see this front end!

The other attachment 1045621 for the driver will not post on RC Tech for some reason. You might want to try that again.
Glad you liked it! Nice to find someone who sees things that make the car more realistic as interesting at least!!

I tried a few times to get the other pics to post and they won't work. I'll try to put them up here.

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-imagesca128ew0.jpg

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-d1.jpg

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-tech104190c.jpg
Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #7345
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=aarcobra;11950767]
Quote:

Glad you liked it! Nice to find someone who sees things that make the car more realistic as interesting at least!!

I tried a few times to get the other pics to post and they won't work. I'll try to put them up here.

Attachment 1045640
Yeah, when it comes to F1, especially vintage 60's F1(my favorite era), I'm a "scale realistic" nut! I happen to agree with the VF1 rules that state that the body must be painted and decaled as a 60's period F1 car; no modern paint schemes or decals allowed. Everything must look as scale as possible! That's why I'm surprised he isn't pushing for the HPI VTA wheels/tires, as they are much more scale than the ones he chose.

Please keep us posted with your progress with your car with tutorials and lots of pics! Thanks!!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #7346
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=aarcobra;11950624]
Quote:

I believe you can use the entire F103gt rear axle for your F104 v1. to fit the VTA wheels.

That Tech front end is slightly narrower than an f103 front end.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #7347
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Try this shop. The say the ship internationallly and carry alot of Brad's stuff!
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...s_cate_id=1307
Good Luck!

Ned

So glad TQ rc racing shop has some decals for my new 2012 body.
Allready ordered the sauber decals
Been mailing to brad and get some respons but he never send me an invoice for paying as he mentioned 3 days ago (cause of a location problem at the checkout section) i couldn't complete the checkout on his website)
Have send him another mail but so far no respons or great service from him, bit disapointing though
Lucky i was able to find some other decals (redbull decals were sold out)at TQ rc racing shop.
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #7348
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2blue View Post
So glad TQ rc racing shop has some decals for my new 2012 body.
Allready ordered the sauber decals
Been mailing to brad and get some respons but he never send me an invoice for paying as he mentioned 3 days ago (cause of a location problem at the checkout section) i couldn't complete the checkout on his website)
Have send him another mail but so far no respons or great service from him, bit disapointing though
Lucky i was able to find some other decals (redbull decals were sold out)at TQ rc racing shop.
Glad you found one source at least! Brad is a busy boy and does an amazing job. Do you follow him on Face Book? He posted recently that he is going ot release the 2013 stuff without the helmet art work, that will get things moving.
Be patient, he get's it done!

Ned
Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #7349
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Manny;11950844]
Quote:

that Tech front end is slightly narrower than an f103 front end.
That should work well with my FGX parts. I use 4mm hexes and the stub axles have to be cut off a little bit. Narrower would allow wider hexes!

Thanks Manny,
Ned
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #7350
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Team Lotus;11950808]
Quote:

Yeah, when it comes to F1, especially vintage 60's F1(my favorite era), I'm a "scale realistic" nut! I happen to agree with the VF1 rules that state that the body must be painted and decaled as a 60's period F1 car; no modern paint schemes or decals allowed. Everything must look as scale as possible! That's why I'm surprised he isn't pushing for the HPI VTA wheels/tires, as they are much more scale than the ones he chose.

Please keep us posted with your progress with your car with tutorials and lots of pics! Thanks!!
I can't claim to be able to make things as scale and realistic as I want but I like to try.

I too like the idea of the 60's era liveries. My issue is that the 60's had basically three type of cars: 1.5 litre with skinny tires, 3.0 liter with a variety of engines, many exposed and with distinctive exhaust systems (which make up 1/4 to 1/3rd of the car) and the last couple of years the tires got wider and wings started to appear. To me, the "Manny body" is a good representation of the 1966-1968 Cosworth Ford powered F1 car. Unfortunately there are not alot of liveries for this car. To be different, paint jobs will move to cars that are less and less realistice. Will many care or even notice? No....

I think the choice not to use VTA wheels and tires has to do with trying to keep it simple for the majority. Incase you haven't noticed there are not a lot of "modelers" around. It's instant gratification and RTR, baby. That's why seeing Manny, Lightfoot and the group do all the work to get a VF1 class going is so great and welcome!

I hope to get some more info for you later today,
Ned