R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #7276
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Gurney Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
I forgot to mention that once is up and running with his production run, we will be carrying the bodies in the store as well.
I am thinking that I will do a Gurney Weslake with the one that I have.
Brad (and all) please don't use Manny's current car to be something that it's not. It can be made to look like a number of mid 60's F1 cars from the 3.0 Liter years but not the ones with 12 cylinder engines!!!
He modeled the Ford Cosworth and the Eagle used a Gurney Westlake. Besides the length of the engine itself, the beautiful exhaust system of the Eagle is almost as much of the personality of the car as the Eagle Beak (designed by Dan's dad!). Might be able to make it into an early Eagle Climax (4cyl) the engine was mostly cowled in, but Manny needs to do his magic on the Eagle Beak and Engine!!!

FYI: The Eagle is thought by many, (including me!) to be the most beautiful F1 car ever designed. I was lucky enough to go to Monterey in 2010 and see examples ot nearly all the Eagles ever built! AWESOME Experience, including meeting and talking to Dan, himself!!!

(I know Eagles will be built with the Cosworth, do the best job you can, for me and Dan!)

Here's some pix and info on the Eagle F1. I have many books and pictures of them if anyone is interested!

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/pic/1...eslake_11.html

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/1...1-Weslake.html

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...agle-weslake-1

Also, The huge "F1 thru the years" Poster that's on one of these forums, has great side views that will help with finding a interesting livery-they were very simple in the beginning of the formula but got more complex as sponsorship grew........It's got some mistakes on it but it's really neat.

Ned
aarcobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #7277
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
Anyone interested in F1s answer to VTA? Check out www.VF1club.com. They race vintage wingless F1 cars with specially modified F104 upper arms that break away with contact! Check out the awesome bodies, too!!

So awesome! I'll get one for sure.
On-road 1/10 F1: 3Racing FGX + RC9394 Carbon Conversion AE BD/Team Orion/Ko Propo
josecarlo1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #7278
Tech Fanatic

Ned,

Maybe you can scan the original AAR Eagle emblem and sent it to BP. Forgot that the Gurney Weslake was a 12 cylinder.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #7279
Tech Master

Default VF1 Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
Ned might fight you over that, Brad. You know he's a big Gurney fan.
As I mentioned on another reply, might do the Eagle Climax on one VF1 but will wait for engine and exhaust, and nose, for the EGW. My first one will probably be a Jimmy Clark Lotus 49 from 1967-first win for a Ford-Cosworth engine.

One chassis is nearly done, will use VTA wheels and tires.

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img5567_1_2_small.jpg

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-800px-eagle_t2g.jpg

Last edited by aarcobra; 03-13-2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: add pix
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #7280
Tech Master

Default Eagle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabroom View Post
Ned,

Maybe you can scan the original AAR Eagle emblem and sent it to BP. Forgot that the Gurney Weslake was a 12 cylinder.
No problem! I have some scans in here somewhere... I have a bunch of reference pics. A buddy and I are building an 1/8th scale version of the Eagle Indy Car. I'll be fiberglass unless we can find someone to pull it. (He's making a number of molds and fiberglass bodies for the early R/C car days, Lola T-70, McLaren M8 (I think), L&M Lola.)
Old 03-14-2013, 03:57 AM   #7281
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsta View Post
Nah, the one weekend i couldnt make it did get to go to the Top Gear Festival though!

Thanks for the link, exactly what i was after!
That's where I was too! Good show.

Even if you're not going to race at EPIC, pop out for a look - there's a number of F104Pros and F104v2's you can have a look at.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #7282
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
I have been doing some quick searches on the web and it is almost impossible to find any retailer that sells the original F104 with the FRP chassis anymore. I would like to use that chassis for my VF1 car as opposed to the F104 VII, because (1) It's cheaper, and (2) I think the FRP(fiberglass) chassis on the original F104 will generate more chassis/mechanical grip on asphalt than the super stiff graphite chassis on the F104 VII.
Pretty sure it said on the website or somewhere that the bodies don't fit the Version 2 anyway.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #7283
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Hey Shadow!, I already have a few guys who want to race these VF1 cars, and we are going to want to do the Lotus 49, the Gurney Weslake, the Ferrari, possibly Honda and Brabham as well. Are you going to produce the decal sets for these cars? I sure hope so, as your decals are awesome! I know that D Drive used to sell the Lotus 49 decals, but D Drive seems to be gone now, so I hope you can do all these different decal sets.
I will be doing the decals for these, not sure when, as I have a mountain of projects going right now.
I will have to do the typical research to make them accurate.
Yes DDrive is offline, I think they basically cater to home market only these days.
I am sure if this really takes off there will be variations of this first body.
For anyone that is interested , I will put together kits to build these cars, no sense in buying a kit and getting body and wheels you will never use. Let me work up the numbers, I know I have a handful of FRP top decks, I will order up the lower decks, and I have a bunch of the plastic parts already along with hop ups. I was thinking I would get stuck with a bunch of old parts, but it looks like there might be a market for them.
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #7284
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
As I mentioned on another reply, might do the Eagle Climax on one VF1 but will wait for engine and exhaust, and nose, for the EGW. My first one will probably be a Jimmy Clark Lotus 49 from 1967-first win for a Ford-Cosworth engine.

One chassis is nearly done, will use VTA wheels and tires.

Attachment 1043570

Attachment 1043571
Please post pics of finished chassis and body!!! Which chassis are you using? I see you are planning on the VTA wheels and tires; I like that idea as they look more like 60's F1 tires! If you're using the F104 chassis, how are you mounting the VTA wheels? Or are you using the FGX chassis?

I know most here like the Eagle the best, but I have to admit it's my second favorite. I'm a lifelong Lotus and Jim clark fan dating back to when Clark was still around; so my first choice is the Lotus 49. I hope someone such as BP Shadow makes the decals for ALL these VF1 cars!! I definitley plan on putting one together.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #7285
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I love the idea of VTA wheels with this class too! Hopefully a conversion is easy.
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #7286
Tech Master

This Deltawing critter is cool. There are several versions I found. Is the real one competitive or just a test bed?

Attached Thumbnails
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-deltawing.jpg  
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #7287
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

F103 GT front hubs run a hex setup,I'm guessing that they would be a good starting point for the VTA front wheels,or even just the FGX front hub,or the Exotek equivalent.

The rear axle hubs would be the stumbling block,seeing as there 14mm hex on the Tamiya axles,and the VTA rear wheels are 12mm hex.
Maybe someone could make a 12mm rear hub set,Exotek possibly.
Or maybe even get a machine shop over there to just machine the 14mm Tamiya hubs down to 12mm hex,probably cheaper,and easier to do.

I like the sound of this class,I actually broke some FGX front arms a few months in exactley the same way as the 'popoff' VF1 arms that will be used,it certainly cleaned up my driving,car handled fine,until I hit something.So,I stopped hitting things
They performed exactley as Manny has described,hit some moderately hard,and only 1 ballend would pop,car would still drive,hit something hard,and it was game over.

Good luck with yor new'old' F1's guys,very cool...especially if you could get VTA wheels and tyres on them
FGX Mckune Mercedes W02
Fleet powered by Thunder Power and Tekin,Spektrum and Hitec,painted by HABIBS BODIES
Peli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #7288
Tech Master

Then you have the new trike from Red Cat that spins the chassis format the other way! Crazy stuff out there!

http://www.redcatracing.com/S-TRYK-R-PRO

Attached Thumbnails
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-redcat_s-tryk-r_3_wheel_1.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-redcat_s-tryk-r_3_wheel_3.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-redcat_s-tryk-r_3_wheel_4.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-redcat_s-tryk-r_3_wheel_5.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-redcat_s-tryk-r_3_wheel_6.jpg  

USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #7289
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peli View Post
F103 GT front hubs run a hex setup,I'm guessing that they would be a good starting point for the VTA front wheels,or even just the FGX front hub,or the Exotek equivalent.

The rear axle hubs would be the stumbling block,seeing as there 14mm hex on the Tamiya axles,and the VTA rear wheels are 12mm hex.
Maybe someone could make a 12mm rear hub set,Exotek possibly.
Or maybe even get a machine shop over there to just machine the 14mm Tamiya hubs down to 12mm hex,probably cheaper,and easier to do.

I like the sound of this class,I actually broke some FGX front arms a few months in exactley the same way as the 'popoff' VF1 arms that will be used,it certainly cleaned up my driving,car handled fine,until I hit something.So,I stopped hitting things
They performed exactley as Manny has described,hit some moderately hard,and only 1 ballend would pop,car would still drive,hit something hard,and it was game over.

Good luck with yor new'old' F1's guys,very cool...especially if you could get VTA wheels and tyres on them
The F103GT had 12mm hex hubs also. If you can find them, that's what you'll need to run VTA wheels all around. Width may become a problem with the wider rear wheels though.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #7290
Tech Master

Default VF1 Mod

Quote:
Please post pics of finished chassis and body!!! Which chassis are you using? I see you are planning on the VTA wheels and tires; I like that idea as they look more like 60's F1 tires! If you're using the F104 chassis, how are you mounting the VTA wheels? Or are you using the FGX chassis?

I know most here like the Eagle the best, but I have to admit it's my second favorite. I'm a lifelong Lotus and Jim clark fan dating back to when Clark was still around; so my first choice is the Lotus 49. I hope someone such as BP Shadow makes the decals for ALL these VF1 cars!! I definitley plan on putting one together.
I'm setting one up on a 104 and maybe one on a modified 103, The width/tires deal really doesn't matter. My first mock up is a 104 front end with FGX hubs and disk brakes!! I comes out a couple of mm narrow and I may need special nuts ;-( I have a couple of other ideas to try to get the right look. The VTA wheels are actually pretty close to the correct size for the earlier 3 liter cars.

I am a Clark fan too and if you look at the pix there are really not a lot of stickers needed, that is if you can paint the stripes!!

More later...