R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #6946
Tech Regular

Actually, they were narrow before! It's just coming full circle!

Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #6947
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
C32 launch decals will be available by the end of the weekend
Ferrari and Lotus launch decals sometime next week
Looking forward to it Brad! (Purple RB - interesting)
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #6948
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack View Post
Looking forward to it Brad! (Purple RB - interesting)
Red Bull seem to have done the best they can to mess up their launch haven't they. The only points of discussion are their ban on photos and preventing journalists getting near the car, and that the car has purple paint on it.

I didn't think it was possible to beat Mercedes for messing up an F1 launch.
Nothing has been anywhere near the McLaren launch.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #6949
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Actually, they were narrow before! It's just coming full circle!

Man oh man....I wish Tamiya or someone would come out with the Lotus 49 and other vintage 60's F1 rc cars. That's the era I started with, and I so wish there were rc vaersions.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #6950
Tech Champion

Well it certainly looks like most of the teams who have kept the stepped nose design have toned it down so it doesn't look so blunt this year, which is good!. Sauber has got a step-ish nose that looks normal from a side profile. What they are showing of the Mercedes so far looks really nice...Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like they went along similar lines as Sauber for the nose. Man it is going to be hard to choose a livery for my next paint job!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #6951
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to mschumi101

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Yes the Sauber, Ferrari, and McLaren cars look great! Though looking at the Ferrari and McLaren front suspension pictures I don't think they used the cover to hide the step nose. It looks like they switched from a push rod suspension to a pull rod suspension which allows them to mount the shocks and cantilevers lower in the car so they wouldn't need the step nose to clear the suspension. I wonder if McLaren did that last year too...I didn't notice then.
Ferrari was the only team last year to use a pull rod front suspension. Last year the McLaren used the traditional push rod front suspension, but still eliminated the step in the nose. As the car evolved over the course of the year, the step became more prevelant. This year however, it appears as if they do have a pull rod front suspension like Ferrari.

Personally the Red Bull looks like it belongs on last years grid without the vent in the step nose, with no "vanity panel" to cover it up. And I am not fond of the Ferrari's nose either, the wing mounts just look odd.
-Ted
mschumi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #6952
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
Man oh man....I wish Tamiya or someone would come out with the Lotus 49 and other vintage 60's F1 rc cars. That's the era I started with, and I so wish there were rc vaersions.
Why not do it yourself? The body is a simple geometry. Extra work for the motor/driver detail is needed of course. But with the actual buyable electronics (shorty lipo...) and chassis (FGX) there should be no problem

Did some PS: removed the wings from a FGX and made the chassis a little more narrow. Than I put a Lotus 49 layer on it. For me it looks possible with a little effort

Old 02-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #6953
Tech Champion

Interesting idea...however even with the shorty pack there isn't enough room to get all the electronics in line because of the bellcrank steering. I've been trying. though maybe with a Rabbit conversion it might work nicly.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #6954
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
C32 launch decals will be available by the end of the weekend
Ferrari and Lotus launch decals sometime next week
Terrific !
Old 02-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #6955
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Interesting idea...however even with the shorty pack there isn't enough room to get all the electronics in line because of the bellcrank steering. I've been trying. though maybe with a Rabbit conversion it might work nicly.
you could mount the RX under the noseif it was thin enough.
kb525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #6956
Tech Master

Quote:
I agree! I remember Cox or Testors had a tether-line Lotus that I had when I was growing up. Would have been about 1970?

It was cool.
Attached Thumbnails
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-testorssprite1.jpg  
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #6957
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Vintage F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
Why not do it yourself? The body is a simple geometry. Extra work for the motor/driver detail is needed of course. But with the actual buyable electronics (shorty lipo...) and chassis (FGX) there should be no problem

Did some PS: removed the wings from a FGX and made the chassis a little more narrow. Than I put a Lotus 49 layer on it. For me it looks possible with a little effort

Tell you what, You get me the bodies, and I'll make a chassis to fit!! The body is the hard part. The guys I race with use 1600mAh 2s lipos. Very small and work fine in 6 minute races!!!
Ned

A buddy of mine is making 1/8 scale 1967 Eagle F1 in fiberglass. Could easily be made in to a mold for lexan, if some one could vacuum form it...other bodies could be made in other scales...............
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #6958
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Tell you what, You get me the bodies, and I'll make a chassis to fit!! The body is the hard part. The guys I race with use 1600mAh 2s lipos. Very small and work fine in 6 minute races!!!
Ned

A buddy of mine is making 1/8 scale 1967 Eagle F1 in fiberglass. Could easily be made in to a mold for lexan, if some one could vacuum form it...other bodies could be made in other scales...............
I love your idea!! Now if he could make the 1967 Eagle Weslake, the Lotus 49, the 1967 Ferrari, etc bodies to fit that would be awesome! then maybe mount up the HPI VTA wheels and tires which look more or less like the F1 wheels/tires of that era, and have F1 Paintlab do the period decals for each car, and we have the beginnings of a true Vintage 60's F1 class!! I think it would be a hit!!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #6959
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default "Real" Vintage F1 Class!

Quote:
I love your idea!! Now if he could make the 1967 Eagle Weslake, the Lotus 49, the 1967 Ferrari, etc bodies to fit that would be awesome! then maybe mount up the HPI VTA wheels and tires which look more or less like the F1 wheels/tires of that era, and have F1 Paintlab do the period decals for each car, and we have the beginnings of a true Vintage 60's F1 class!! I think it would be a hit!!
Right on! It will be hard to get the "LFG's" (Local fast guys) to buy in but us "pureists" will have fun! lol

I have a lot of projects going but this is definately on the list! I raced with F1Painter a couple of weeks ago and next time I see him (end of March) I'll plant the seed!!

Ned
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #6960
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Right on! It will be hard to get the "LFG's" (Local fast guys) to buy in but us "pureists" will have fun! lol

I have a lot of projects going but this is definately on the list! I raced with F1Painter a couple of weeks ago and next time I see him (end of March) I'll plant the seed!!

Ned
Please keep us posted Ed