R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #6586
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1larry View Post
Thanks for the reply, I was actually asking how to paint the plastic pieces by the barge boards the body color. I keep trying to paint them but the paint doesn't cover. I am using the Tamiya ts85 paint.

Tanks
Hi Larry,

Is the paint beading up and pulling away or is it the coverage. I've painted a few of the Tamiya body accessories and it seems that you need to wipe them first with solvent (the Tamiya laquer thinner works) and let it dry. Then try a thin coat first, allow to dry and then more coats until it looks right. I usually use an airbrush with Tamiya paint but found that brushing it on works too but you need to apply several thin coats.

I opted not to use the mirrors on the F60 because I decided to skip the separate pontoons and stay with a one piece body for racing which the mirrors won't fit. As it turns out I should have because they are pretty well protected from crashing.

Dave K.

BTW I was at the Track a couple times in the past month and got to race the F1 with Rob and Kevin. I forgot how much fun it was to race these.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #6587
Tech Champion

it also helps to sand the pieces...makes the paint grab better.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #6588
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
it also helps to sand the pieces...makes the paint grab better.
But it gives the piece a matte finish.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #6589
Tech Apprentice

I have to ask whats better for the vII diff. ?
The thrust bearing or the regular bearing? I notice with the thrust bearing its much more free even locked down.
Other question whats the best fluid for the the side damper. Its on low to medium carpet.
Huskerfan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #6590
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to f1larry

It just seems like it doesn't stick well. I have been trying to use several coats after each dries but the new coat just reacts with the previous and uncovers what is covered. I tried sanding that has worked either. Might try the solvent to see if that works.

I decided to go with the pontoons looks pretty cool. Had the mirrors on in just black, but decided to try and paint them. I will probably run the car without them until I can get them to look right.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Hi Larry,

Is the paint beading up and pulling away or is it the coverage. I've painted a few of the Tamiya body accessories and it seems that you need to wipe them first with solvent (the Tamiya laquer thinner works) and let it dry. Then try a thin coat first, allow to dry and then more coats until it looks right. I usually use an airbrush with Tamiya paint but found that brushing it on works too but you need to apply several thin coats.

I opted not to use the mirrors on the F60 because I decided to skip the separate pontoons and stay with a one piece body for racing which the mirrors won't fit. As it turns out I should have because they are pretty well protected from crashing.

Dave K.

BTW I was at the Track a couple times in the past month and got to race the F1 with Rob and Kevin. I forgot how much fun it was to race these.
2012 TCS Race #170 "The Track" @ Harbor Hobby Best of Show Mini Pro
f1larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #6591
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For my wing similar to the mirrors I sanded them and used the Krylon spray paint for plastic. It has held up very well.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #6592
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Just got the Lotus 2012 E20 sticker sheet for my new body. What color yellow should I be using to match? Thanks, John
Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #6593
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Ok, time to show my ignorance. I have a Tamiya f103gt that I'm looking to convert using the Roche Rapide chassis for the f103/104. Ideas? Opinions? Caveats?
Thanks,
Scott

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #6594
Tech Adept

Are any of you guys planning to race your F1 car at the Snowbird Nationals? If you are, please click on the image below and click the green "I'm Going" button.

rcsuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #6595
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
But it gives the piece a matte finish.
That depends on the paint you use not if you sand it or not. A good gloss paint will still have a gloss finish if you sand the surface first. RC body paints are not gloss paints to begin with as they use the Lexan as a gloss coat. If that is what you are using to paint the hard plastic parts that is why you are getting a matte finish. You can get a gloss finish with them by thinning them right and spraying them very fine but they really were not designed for that.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #6596
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've long wanted to convert my Tamiya 416 into an F1 but never did. Luckly while reading the Tamiya F201 thread (yeah I'm bored), Pfunky posted some photos of his Tamiya Evo4 converted to F1. Amazing work.

I think my touring cars are now afraid of me. hehehe.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #6597
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Just got the Lotus 2012 E20 sticker sheet for my new body. What color yellow should I be using to match? Thanks, John
Do you mean the gold for the wheels ? I just completed using the E20 decals from F1paintlab on my F103GT rebuild - and I used X-31 for the wheels:

It looks pretty close, but the E20 has a bit more yellow than a metallic hue. The front winglets and rear wing mounts were painted with PS-2. For F1 plastic wings - take a look @ X-7 or maybe TS49.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:19 AM   #6598
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1larry View Post
Thanks for the reply, I was actually asking how to paint the plastic pieces by the barge boards the body color. I keep trying to paint them but the paint doesn't cover. I am using the Tamiya ts85 paint.

Tanks
Larry,
I soak the parts in hot soapy water for a while and then rinse them real well with cold water. If I am painting the mirrors red, I start out with the PS1 white as a base, then the red over the top. Clearcoat after the color
Hope this helps
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #6599
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
I've long wanted to convert my Tamiya 416 into an F1 but never did. Luckly while reading the Tamiya F201 thread (yeah I'm bored), Pfunky posted some photos of his Tamiya Evo4 converted to F1. Amazing work.

I think my touring cars are now afraid of me. hehehe.
Please keep us updated regularly on the project, I've had a similar idea with one of my older Xrays What wheels/tires would you use'
Boca Bearings - www.bocabearings.com

Last edited by UrabusDenis; 12-27-2012 at 07:43 AM.
UrabusDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #6600
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
Looking at the narrow version of the TRG car, I think the nose section of the body WILL cover the suspension mounting points without any modification needed.
I wish someone would post a pic of the narrow version with a current style F1 body on it to prove the point. The only pic I've seen of the TRG car with a body is of the wide 200mm version.
Uf1 should have pictures of Tyree Phillips car somewhere which is the Trg. He has a Marlboro body.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote