R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #6151
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
How tight should the differential be in the back on a Tamiya? Easy to turn or a lot of friction? That's the adjustment done with the wheel nut on the right side rear.
same as any other ball diff, just tight enough to not slip. I would suggest slowing tightening it down while working the diff in and keep going until you cant turn the the wheel while holding the other wheel and spur.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #6152
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Supernb on road new track at Bremerton, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
Mark
Here are to "compadres" racing in Bremerton RC, WA inaugural GP weekend

Cool new track!

Here are the contenders

Mr Fred M.
This is a grand option for your 2013 TCS schedule

More photos here: http://photobucket.com/MarkF1RCBremerton

Cheer's!
Marcos
Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #6153
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

F1RC Club - Japan GP 2012
14 October 2012
JP Raceway

A big thanks to 18 racers who joined!

Full event photos, video and coverage here.

As the organizer, I found this race to be very enjoyable. It was an afternoon full of friends, each one respectful to one another. Peace and happiness ruled the day. No tech inspection needed as the Circle of Trust is restored. Rookies and newbies are made to feel very welcome. This is how the F1RC Club should and will continue to be!

Concours Winner - Rico Ledesma

Tamiya or FGX...

New Sakura FGX Team Member - Porsha Mangilit

Nice to see youngsters racing!

And nice to see veterans having stress free fun.

A-main and B-main separated by just 2 thousandths of a second. Wow!

Overall Results

And it's back, the beautiful trophies and podium photoshoot.

The Cars

Video on the F1RC Club website.

Just sharing. Thanks for reading.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #6154
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Jeez...that TRG makes the Lotus look a hell of a lot better. There's your answer Indy. www.reflexracing.net. Give Christian a yell and he either has it available or can get it from TRG.
I sent an email because I was at work. But, I got this response:

"Subject: TRG5103 Scale Bumper

Sorry, at the moment we don't carry that part no. in stock. While we can special order it, it will take well over a month to get it as we just sent in an order to TRG.

Thanks,

Sincerely,
www.reflexracing.net"

USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #6155
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow, sorry about that. Don't know if things have changed but i thought Reflex racing was the US TRG distributor. When last I talked with Christian, this same problem came up. Apparently the language barrier is an issue. TRG is actually a very small company and shipping is a slow process + they don't accept quicker forms of payment so Christian has to deal with them in the slowest manner.
I'm guessing that maybe Dinball or another overseas dealer will be your best shot.

Last edited by Evoracer; 10-16-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #6156
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
My daughter raced the FGX for the very first time yesterday. Did pretty well finishing 6th overall in the A-main.

Sakura FGX review, build and setup tips here.

Is it a good car? Yes. My daughter raced using F103, F104, F104W. Now she will finish the F1 season using the FGX.

Been running it box stock, no hop ups. Have not broken a single part (knock on wood), for several months now.

nice, thanks for the help. order mine yesterday.
new B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #6157
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
same as any other ball diff, just tight enough to not slip. I would suggest slowing tightening it down while working the diff in and keep going until you cant turn the the wheel while holding the other wheel and spur.

Mark
What tamiya? lol
On my F103GT I just place the conic washers and tight the nut all the way through. There is no adjustment there what makes it super simple, the washers give the right pressure and it runs smoothly. Just need to sand the plates to make sure the spur doesn't slip. Only problem is the normal diff balls oval fast, so it needs frequent rebuilds. I'm thinking on ceramic to make it maintenance free.
CondeAfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #6158
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Great racing crowd in Manila. Kamui got 3rd in Japanese GP, congrats!
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #6159
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondeAfonso View Post
What tamiya? lol
On my F103GT I just place the conic washers and tight the nut all the way through. There is no adjustment there what makes it super simple, the washers give the right pressure and it runs smoothly. Just need to sand the plates to make sure the spur doesn't slip. Only problem is the normal diff balls oval fast, so it needs frequent rebuilds. I'm thinking on ceramic to make it maintenance free.
If you are screwing the nut right down you are crushing the cone washers flat and not having any compression on the diff. It will also limit the amount of rear grip. If adjusted correctly the spur won't slip and the diff will last for ages between rebuilds, and the rear end will have much more grip.

With Tamiya F1s you don't need to sand the washers either, just assemble everything with a little ball diff grease. Tighten the diff nut just enough to stop the spur slipping and the diff should be free and smooth. You can then adjust the diff action by tightening the nut a little at a time to stiffen the diff, but the nut shouldn't be less than a quarter turn from fully tight to allow the diff to work properly.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #6160
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
I sent an email because I was at work. But, I got this response:

"Subject: TRG5103 Scale Bumper

Sorry, at the moment we don't carry that part no. in stock. While we can special order it, it will take well over a month to get it as we just sent in an order to TRG.

Thanks,

Sincerely,
www.reflexracing.net"

I was talking to Cristian this weekend about the TRG parts. And he described the process he has to go thru just to order any of the TRG parts. Jumping through flaming hoops pretty much summed it up.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #6161
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Wow, sorry about that. Don't know if things have changed but i thought Reflex racing was the US TRG distributor. When last I talked with Christian, this same problem came up. Apparently the language barrier is an issue. TRG is actually a very small company and shipping is a slow process + they don't accept quicker forms of payment so Christian has to deal with them in the slowest manner.
I'm guessing that maybe Dinball or another overseas dealer will be your best shot.
Oh Hey, no apology needed. Heck I wouldn't even KNOW about it if you hadn't told me! At least I know the part is out there. I just need to source it now. Because of you I know it exists and there's a part number. That's a good thing!
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #6162
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Sale on carbide and ceramic dif balls!! less than a dollar each!
http://www.rcshox.com/formula-one/
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #6163
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
If you are screwing the nut right down you are crushing the cone washers flat and not having any compression on the diff. It will also limit the amount of rear grip. If adjusted correctly the spur won't slip and the diff will last for ages between rebuilds, and the rear end will have much more grip.

With Tamiya F1s you don't need to sand the washers either, just assemble everything with a little ball diff grease. Tighten the diff nut just enough to stop the spur slipping and the diff should be free and smooth. You can then adjust the diff action by tightening the nut a little at a time to stiffen the diff, but the nut shouldn't be less than a quarter turn from fully tight to allow the diff to work properly.
I just checked and on the F103GT it's different (i actually got very confused with your post.. i thought maybe i was doing something wrong.. witch usually happens! )

The GT diff is closed, and doesn't have adjustment on the outside and I wen't through the manuals and it's really like that. It has the conic washers the other way around and it has a crunch plate that gives the correct pressure (part ME3). It still says to pull it a quarter of a turn back after tightening but I remember when I was assembling it, tightening all the way worked better for me. Anyway... if i'm wrong... the diff still works well. No slip, and very very smooth.
CondeAfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #6164
Tech Champion

It may be a closed diff but it still works the same way as any pan car diff.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #6165
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondeAfonso View Post
I just checked and on the F103GT it's different (i actually got very confused with your post.. i thought maybe i was doing something wrong.. witch usually happens! )

The GT diff is closed, and doesn't have adjustment on the outside and I wen't through the manuals and it's really like that. It has the conic washers the other way around and it has a crunch plate that gives the correct pressure (part ME3). It still says to pull it a quarter of a turn back after tightening but I remember when I was assembling it, tightening all the way worked better for me. Anyway... if i'm wrong... the diff still works well. No slip, and very very smooth.
The GT diff is adjustable, but you have to take the hex adapter off to adjust it. The GT diff is exactly the same as the Tamiya F104 diff, with the adjuster nut buried inside the diff assembly. Just like the F104 diff you can get the GT diff smoother and more reliable if you replace the MD3 bearing with the Tamiya 53136 one piece thrust bearing and turning the spring washers around like this )(
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote