R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #6016
Tech Master

Of the current crop of NIB Tamiya F1's is there a favorite one that most acknowledge is the best choice? Our track is starting up the F1 class and although I'm familiar with most on-road classes, I'm not with F1.

We must use stock Tamiya kits: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/cat...p?sub-id=36100

My personal favorite in terms of appearance is the Wolf WR1: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=84124
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #6017
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
Of the current crop of NIB Tamiya F1's is there a favorite one that most acknowledge is the best choice? Our track is starting up the F1 class and although I'm familiar with most on-road classes, I'm not with F1.
I would run the F103 or F104W if allowed. The Wolf would be good, especially the big front bumper.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #6018
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Indy, you gonna be on carpet or asphalt ?? Foam or rubber tires ?? Our club just made the change from vta to F1 and I'm loving it. 2wd makes me feel like a newbie again. Lots to learn but lots of fun.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #6019
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Indy, you gonna be on carpet or asphalt ?? Foam or rubber tires ?? Our club just made the change from vta to F1 and I'm loving it. 2wd makes me feel like a newbie again. Lots to learn but lots of fun.
Carpet and rubber tires are the rules. I should have been more specific.

I remember Jody Schector driving this car in the late 70's. (Graduated high school in '78) so the Wolf WR1 is a good look for me. I just wondered if the small tires up front put me at any kind of disadvantage. I guess the chassis, from what I read, is realy a combination of the F104 and the F103. They did that to get the wide stance on the front.

Our track is adding VTA back along with F1. I went to the USVTA Southern Nationals in Nashville a couple of weekends ago and the said that VTA is still the hottest class in the U.S. in terms of draw. We've been without it in Indy for almost 2 years. When they switched motors from 21.5 to 25.5 that ticked off a lot of local racers and they switched over to USGT so they could keep using their 21.5's.
USVTA #144
Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #6020
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
I would run the F103 or F104W if allowed. The Wolf would be good, especially the big front bumper.
I'm not crazy about how far that bumper sticks out on the Wolf, but it will protect the front end, and the driver's legs...
USVTA #144
Old 10-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #6021
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:

We must use stock Tamiya kits: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/cat...p?sub-id=36100

My personal favorite in terms of appearance is the Wolf WR1: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=84124
I think you are going to like the simplicity of direct drive cars. With reasonable set of rules and a core group of guys, I am sure the class will take off.

WR1 looks very cool. It has a few limitations such as the Friction/T-plate rear and "static display quality" kit tires. In our F1 class, we are limited to 190mm chassis and it would be too wide.

IMHO the best current car is the F104v2. The link suspension makes a world of difference in how the car corners.

I suggest you read the UF1 101 tutorial as it may help you understand a little more of what the F1 thing is all about.
240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #6022
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Carpet and rubber tires are the rules. I should have been more specific.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z View Post
It has a few limitations such as the Friction/T-plate rear and "static display quality" kit tires.
The Wolf tires are hot garbage.

You may want to pick a width for the cars, as the Wolf, Lotus and F104GP are 200mm and the rest of the cars are 180mm.

Is the rule "any" rubber tire?

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #6023
Tech Master

Our rules are based on the Tamiya TCS rules. Any chassis is allowed as they are a Tamiya brand F1 kit. "Any Tamiya brand F1 rubber tire meant to be used specifically for the Tamiya F1 chassis will be allowed" is what the rules say. No foam tires.

Thanks for the tutorial link, I'm reading it ASAP!
USVTA #144
Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #6024
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Our rules are based on the Tamiya TCS rules. Any chassis is allowed as they are a Tamiya brand F1 kit. "Any Tamiya brand F1 rubber tire meant to be used specifically for the Tamiya F1 chassis will be allowed" is what the rules say. No foam tires.

The Tamiya rules work everywhere now that they have adapted the Pit Shimizu 571 and 572 combo as their "TCS" branded tires, otherwise I'd bag the Tamiya rubber of old. (however some have found success with the 104 kit fronts to calm the steering when needed)
As far as the wide cars go, there is no current Tamiya rubber besides the "hot garbage" that robk and 240Z mentioned, in other words, the wide car is useless under Tamiya's rules.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #6025
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
The Tamiya rules work everywhere now that they have adapted the Pit Shimizu 571 and 572 combo as their "TCS" branded tires, otherwise I'd bag the Tamiya rubber of old. (however some have found success with the 104 kit fronts to calm the steering when needed)
As far as the wide cars go, there is no current Tamiya rubber besides the "hot garbage" that robk and 240Z mentioned, in other words, the wide car is useless under Tamiya's rules.
aww but loosen the tire rules to include all the Pit Shimizus and you are GOLDEN
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 AM   #6026
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:

If you are going to mimic TCS rules, TCS allows for foam tires on carpet tracks. We ran the May Regional at TQ Raceway in Chino California, an indoor carpet track and the 200mm wide cars (F104W's) on foam tires dominated over the 180mm cars.

If you are going to run rubber tire and must be Tamiya only tires. you should run the 180mm F104's only and the "new" Tamiya F1 tire that is the Pit Shimizu 0571 - front and 0572 - rear. This is a very driveable car for both expert and the sportsman driver.

The original Tamiya rubber tires for the F104's will glaze up in 3-4 laps (kit or hop-up). If you run F104W's on the Tamiya rubber, only kit tires are available now and they are vinyl. Absolute junk. Either of these combo's will have people wanting to sell their F1's after the first day. VERY difficult to drive on either of these tires.

Panda
Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #6027
Tech Master

Sounds like tires will be an issue. They may have to make some changes it sounds like. Evolution will take place over time.
USVTA #144
Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #6028
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Sounds like tires will be an issue. They may have to make some changes it sounds like. Evolution will take place over time.
If you want to keep simple, stay with the Tamiya 180mm chassis (F104, F104 Pro, F104 X1. F104 v2) and use Pit Shimizu rubber tires that are made to work on the Tamiya F104 foam tire rim. The "new" Tamiya tire that many drivers used at this years Tamiya Nationals, marked with "TCS" on the sidewall are Pit Shimizu 0571 / 0572 tires that work great on carpet or asphalt.

Good luck with your series !

Panda
Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #6029
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastc View Post
aww but loosen the tire rules to include all the Pit Shimizus and you are GOLDEN
Couldn't agree more but he's the one that said "any Tamiya based rubber tire."

Not sure why tho unless they are anticipating TCS racing which Panda reminded us that we did get to run foams on carpet and that is how it should be anyway.
That was great racing, again. Just like the good ol days of fat foam tires, vintage cars and not just on carpet but asphalt too.
You wanna go fast and have easy to drive cars, foam up and go wide.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #6030
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If you want to make it easy to police just go with narrow cars and the "TCS" sidewall tires. Everybody will have a good time

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote