R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #4921
Tech Elite

Reduce rear droop. You do that by shortening the center shock. Screw in the lower shock ball cup or put in internal spacers.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #4922
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks that makes sense. One thing I did notice is that the car appears to have almost no droop.

Also noticed that the rear sits completely flat in the air while my f104x1 does arch. I was thinking that could be causing the problem however can't see a way to be able to get the link type setup to arch. May just need to set it up to naturally droop at the link so that it has some play when off throttle.
J-PaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #4923
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

To get more droop you can unthread the the ball cup on the end of the shock to make the shock longer giving you more droop.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #4924
Tech Adept

Just back from a very exciting F1 club race. Amount of cars was less than normal, due to a double booking with the nationals. Still, lots of fighting for position. The car to beat was a heavily modified F103, the runners up were 2 Corally F1 Mk1s, a Corally F1 Mk2 and an F104.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #4925
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
That looks pretty similar to the March CG901 remodelled with higher sidepods to clear the electrics and chassis to me.

The problem is the kids toy paint scheme they have put on it. We haven't seen the car it's designed for so we have no idea why it is designed that way, but that hasn't stopped people complaining.

Because the press release is full of marketing rubbish about the performance benefits of the body, 3racing have a bunch of forum posters with burning torches and pitchforks at their gates. Yet no one has any objection to other generic non specific bodies, such as the HPI F10, the Tamiya F104 Pro and, from the company you now hate, the 3racing FGX.

Non scale bodies have been around on F1s for 25 years, going back to the Road Wizard, via the HPI SuperF1, various 3rd party bodies, right through to the F104 Pro. There are dozens of generic F1 bodies around today from Chevron, D-Drive, Tech Racing, Zen, Cross and Blade Racing. None of those were ever seen as a problem and have brought the demise of F1 racing, and neither will this one. If someone wants to run one that's down to them, if you feel it shouldn't be allowed at your own track because it isn't scale enough, are you also going to ban the the generic F104 Pro or FGX shell then? Considering the different sticker sets being used on the Tamiya MP4-25 and F60 bodies they might as well be classed as generic bodies as well, after all they aren't all being used with the kit supplied sticker sets.

Personally I'm not interested purely because it doesn't look good, exactly the same reason I won't use a modern F1 body either. I'll stick to the 80s cars as it's my favourite era.

I'm surprised no one seems to have any problem with 3Racing blatantly copying the Cross/TRG rear wing and Tech Racing front wing, but because someone has made a mess of decorating the body you are criticising 3Racing.
Let me start by also saying good catch. I agree with RobK, it does resemble the Leyton House car…with a few differences here and there.

With regards to the rest of your post; I wasn’t rushing the gate or trying to incite a riot against 3Racing, Tamiya, HPI or any other company for that matter. I was simply asking the question, is a morphed body the direction this segment of our hobby should go to. Everyone has an opinion and I was interested to hear what those are. I’m a peaceful person who’s against violence, unless it’s necessary.

Regarding your point about generic bodies and their existence/history, I am aware of Tamiya’s, HPI’s (by the way, the SuperF1 was only generic by name, it was actually a McLaren MP4-8) TRG’s, Chevron’s, etc. etc. I personally never raised any questions about it because they are/where loosely based on real cars with detail being more prevalent and performance being…well whatever it ended up being. The details came first and provided a canvas for hobbyist, like BP and others, to interpret and recreate as closely as possible to the real deal. While I don’t particularly care for “generic” bodies (from any company) at least they’re something that will keep our hobby going by keeping people interested, but detail shouldn’t be tossed to the side. You should still be able to look at it and recognize what it’s supposed to resemble.

My point is/was, I’d like to see the F1 cars stick to looking like F1 cars (new or old) unlike what happened to sedans. I would hate to see a Stratus or Mazda 6 version of an F1 car become the must have at every racing event. That’s simply my opinion and if it’s offended anyone I do apologize, if it’s hurt anyone at 3Racing I apologize. (Insert handshake and hug here)

Thank you for your time, now back to your regularly scheduled programs.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #4926
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyger View Post
Let me start by also saying good catch. I agree with RobK, it does resemble the Leyton House car…with a few differences here and there.

With regards to the rest of your post; I wasn’t rushing the gate or trying to incite a riot against 3Racing, Tamiya, HPI or any other company for that matter. I was simply asking the question, is a morphed body the direction this segment of our hobby should go to. Everyone has an opinion and I was interested to hear what those are. I’m a peaceful person who’s against violence, unless it’s necessary.

Regarding your point about generic bodies and their existence/history, I am aware of Tamiya’s, HPI’s (by the way, the SuperF1 was only generic by name, it was actually a McLaren MP4-8) TRG’s, Chevron’s, etc. etc. I personally never raised any questions about it because they are/where loosely based on real cars with detail being more prevalent and performance being…well whatever it ended up being. The details came first and provided a canvas for hobbyist, like BP and others, to interpret and recreate as closely as possible to the real deal. While I don’t particularly care for “generic” bodies (from any company) at least they’re something that will keep our hobby going by keeping people interested, but detail shouldn’t be tossed to the side. You should still be able to look at it and recognize what it’s supposed to resemble.

My point is/was, I’d like to see the F1 cars stick to looking like F1 cars (new or old) unlike what happened to sedans. I would hate to see a Stratus or Mazda 6 version of an F1 car become the must have at every racing event. That’s simply my opinion and if it’s offended anyone I do apologize, if it’s hurt anyone at 3Racing I apologize. (Insert handshake and hug here)

Thank you for your time, now back to your regularly scheduled programs.
Well said!!! +1
Don't want to see F1 become like touring car with "blob" bodies just to satisfy the "go fast" crowd. Keep it scale!!!
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #4927
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Blob bodies or 2012 F1 platypus bodies... hmmmm... a no win situation.

Attached is what I wish F1 looked like again.
Attached Thumbnails
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-f1rc312t3.jpg  
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #4928
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post

I will take the 2012 stepped nose over what you attached any day. I do not like the looks of older F1 cars. They look dated. F1 is all about the latest in engineering and the cars should look the part.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #4929
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post

I love the Ferrari 312t,but the 2012 cars do have different looks to them and I like them also.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #4930
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyger View Post
My point is/was, I’d like to see the F1 cars stick to looking like F1 cars (new or old) unlike what happened to sedans. I would hate to see a Stratus or Mazda 6 version of an F1 car become the must have at every racing event.
I don't think we'll be seeing much of that, to be honest. With TCs, the body has shown distinct aerodynamic properties. The result is that people will drive whatever works best. In all honesty, this is roughly the same with any part in this hobby. In F1, while there will be some aerodynamic effect in F1 bodies, in the past we've found that effect to be so small to usually not bother with it, compared to the front and back wings.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #4931
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

What rims are you guys using on the the Shimizus for the F104?? Is some modding needed for the Tamiya rubber rims??
instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #4932
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by instigator View Post
What rims are you guys using on the the Shimizus for the F104?? Is some modding needed for the Tamiya rubber rims??
Here ya go instagatordude. Just scroll down a little.

RIDE & SHIMIZU F1 RUBBER TIRES
Old 05-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #4933
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks!! I went to the SpeedTech website and saw them mounted on the foam wheels.
instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #4934
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thought I would post these, the latest project from the 'LAB I loosely call it the Red Devil package. I am thinking about doing one for myself

BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #4935
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

wow