R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #4891
Tech Champion

Center wind pressure was quite high
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #4892
Tech Regular

American rc mags are a freaking joke compared to that. That is amazing. Any chance of a translation of the kanji parts?
Stregone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #4893
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here's a link to the same images, but they can be viewed a little larger if someone would like to translate the rest of the article.

http://www.hobzob.com/album/view/p/r...nd_tunnel_test
Old 05-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #4894
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's a fun fictional livery
Attached Thumbnails
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-repsol01web.jpg  
FMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #4895
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's not prototypical and therefore is ruining F1!!! It's sad that you don't care about F1 and can't take it seriously!

I kid. I kid. Then again, that is pretty representative of a few opinions here. Looks good.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #4896
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Looks really good. I like a well executed fictional livery. As long as its not hello kitty or something.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #4897
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
It's not prototypical and therefore is ruining F1!!! It's sad that you don't care about F1 and can't take it seriously!
What he said...shame on you FMW!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #4898
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
On a track that sized I am not surprised...in the US most tracks are lucky to even be half that size.
Adding insult to injury... there's 5 similar tracks within an hours drive, and a number of smaller tracks too. :P
Old 05-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #4899
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
Here's a fun fictional livery
the Repsol painting its great!!!
I wish my painting would be as beautiful as this paint sheme.
muesli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #4900
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyger View Post

So, my questions to the masses; is this the direction F1 should go, meaning, performance over appearance? Is F1 seeing the beginning of the sedan car phase, where bodies are morphed and stickers are the only thing left that resembles the real car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Not at all surprising from the makers of the 190+mm "Moderne" F1 chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastc View Post
I hope thats not the way its going. Although I am one of the first to "ooh and ahh" at the new F1 stuff as it comes out. I would like more bodies to come out, but would like them to stay scale instead of leaning towards "performance first".
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
The comment I left on the site. The body looks like a cheap "race car" you would buy at Toys "R" Us. This body does nothing to look like a realistic F1 car even with the ABS plastic driver.

Keep the bodies and wing sets looking scale. Making them look like cheap generic knock offs is not the way to go. I actually would love to have a body that resembles the 2012 cars including the stepped nose.
Quote:
Yes current "scale" bodies are not like the current 1:1 cars...but that doesn't justify a body that isn't anything like a real F1 current or past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
That 3Racing body does not look like any F1 car ever made. EPIC FAILURE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
It actually does look a bit like a Formula Mazda. But nothing like a Formula One
That looks pretty similar to the March CG901 remodelled with higher sidepods to clear the electrics and chassis to me.

The problem is the kids toy paint scheme they have put on it. We haven't seen the car it's designed for so we have no idea why it is designed that way, but that hasn't stopped people complaining.

Because the press release is full of marketing rubbish about the performance benefits of the body, 3racing have a bunch of forum posters with burning torches and pitchforks at their gates. Yet no one has any objection to other generic non specific bodies, such as the HPI F10, the Tamiya F104 Pro and, from the company you now hate, the 3racing FGX.

Non scale bodies have been around on F1s for 25 years, going back to the Road Wizard, via the HPI SuperF1, various 3rd party bodies, right through to the F104 Pro. There are dozens of generic F1 bodies around today from Chevron, D-Drive, Tech Racing, Zen, Cross and Blade Racing. None of those were ever seen as a problem and have brought the demise of F1 racing, and neither will this one. If someone wants to run one that's down to them, if you feel it shouldn't be allowed at your own track because it isn't scale enough, are you also going to ban the the generic F104 Pro or FGX shell then? Considering the different sticker sets being used on the Tamiya MP4-25 and F60 bodies they might as well be classed as generic bodies as well, after all they aren't all being used with the kit supplied sticker sets.

Personally I'm not interested purely because it doesn't look good, exactly the same reason I won't use a modern F1 body either. I'll stick to the 80s cars as it's my favourite era.

I'm surprised no one seems to have any problem with 3Racing blatantly copying the Cross/TRG rear wing and Tech Racing front wing, but because someone has made a mess of decorating the body you are criticising 3Racing.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #4901
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Yes current "scale" bodies are not like the current 1:1 cars...but that doesn't justify a body that isn't anything like a real F1 current or past. RC has always been at least a year behind 1:1 cars largely due to licensing.
If anyone isn't feeling too well and is mad enough to want a current F1 body, then just take a look at the Chevron F110 It's about as near as you are likely to get.

Last edited by terry.sc; 05-18-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #4902
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
I realize that they have some effect on the performance of the car. But if you look at the frontal area of the car and the cross sections of the wings and suspension parts, they are going to create more turbulence than anything else. I spent about 300 hours in the wind tunnel when I worked at GM, and while i'm not a full fledged aerodynamicist, I started to get a good feel for how air behaves. It would be interesting to get a math model of the 104 and have someone run a CFD analysis and see whats really going on
Rather than going to the trouble of a CFD analysis, why don't you just take the wings off and try it.

I did try running my F1 without wings way back in the 90s, under the rather obvious supposition that it would reduce drag which was rather useful in the days when we were using 1400mah nicads to power the cars. Even made a bumper for the front to protect the body, and it looked just like a FFord car. I ran it for about 3 months without wings until I gave up and went back to wings. It was amazing what a difference it made to the top speed with the limited power we had back then. The downside was that the chassis setup had to be absolutely perfect or it was impossible to drive as it either understeered straight on or just spun out. adding the wings calmed the handling down and made any problems manageable.

I have always used the wings as a tuning aid as to me they do make a difference, but then I use the more aggressive F103 style wings on my cars, not just the scale model wings on Tamiyas F104 cars.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #4903
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
The Futaba 4PK Super R controller w/ GYC430. Photo credit: Waigo Hobbies
Now there's a blast from the past. Somehow we briefly managed to allow gyros in F1s in the mid 90s, no one thought about banning them until we started borrowing them from helicopters and they ended up being necessary to compete as they worked so well. No doubt it will be a relabelled heli gyro, with an increase in price as well, just the the HPI D-box.

I do know in the UK the rules specifically ban the use of driver aids, including gyros. I suspect ROAR rules would also ban this.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #4904
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stregone View Post
American rc mags are a freaking joke compared to that. That is amazing. Any chance of a translation of the kanji parts?
I did a basic translation here
http://www.rc-pancar.co.uk/index.php?topic=93.0
Old 05-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #4905
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post

I kid. I kid. Then again, that is pretty representative of a few opinions here. Looks good.