Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2885Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 03-20-2012, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

So many classic F1 colour schemes, so little time

I do remember that Williams with the Sonic/Sega legs. Would have been around the time of that classis Senna first lap and victory at a wet Donnington Park.

We started the Tamiya Eurocup in the UK during 1992, and I have found a stash of photos from that and the next year. Not sure when I'll have time to look through them But when I do will post the best.

Shame I've misplaced the Fondmetal shell I inherited...the black and red looked very good on track.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
And a few more

Those are some great photos. That is when all of our stuff fit into a couple of shoe boxes! My wife say those were better days! Thanks for sharing those.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ahh, the F101/F102 days!!! I just dug out my old F102 from the back of my closet a few months ago. The foam tires on it are still in A-1 shape and race-ready!! Wish I could find a new body and rear wing for it, neither are in the greatest of shape. Man, the memories...................
Old 03-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Master

Great photos BPShadow! Brings back the memories!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

which is a better f1 car to get, the tamiya f104 pro edition, f104 x1, or the 3 racing fgx, I am looking to getting into f1 racing as it looks like a lot of fun, any info would be great thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by zaraz
which is a better f1 car to get, the tamiya f104 pro edition, f104 x1, or the 3 racing fgx, I am looking to getting into f1 racing as it looks like a lot of fun, any info would be great thanks
What is the racing surface? Fgx is great on asphalt and competitive on carpet but it requires a lot of effort to make it right. The top deck and front arms are very weak. If you are on a low to medium grip then it is worth the effort. The direct drive cars and the fgx are very close on high traction surfaces but the f104 will be better out of the box. Again it all depends on your surface and your willingness to upgrade tune and spend $$$$ on the car.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

tarmac and carpet mostly, so which f104 should i get the f104 x1 or the f104 pro, which handles better out of the box thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

tarmac and carpet mostly, so which f104 should i get the f104 x1 or the f104 pro, which handles better out of the box thanks
I don't know the difference in the f104 cars. I run a formula rabbit (fgx conversion) against the f104 so I have a feel for what the f104 can do. The only thing I have seen is that the x1 seems to have a weak t plate. Sorry I'm not much help with the 104 chassis.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

I want to thank Tony Phalen, Kody, Christian Tabush, Mike Kennedy, and all of the other F1 drivers who put on a great show for all of us here in Dallas, Texas. It's all captured in this video --> http://youtu.be/jpdxCkV8n6g. No matter how any decisions were made, the A-Main race was 100% Awesome!!! I believe in the final decision that Tony was the winner based on keeping the lead position for over 86% of the race. Kody only had the lead for 2% of the race.

I hope to see you guys again at another F1 race sometime soon.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wwddww34
I want to thank Tony Phalen, Kody, Christian Tabush, Mike Kennedy, and all of the other F1 drivers who put on a great show for all of us here in Dallas, Texas. It's all captured in this video --> http://youtu.be/jpdxCkV8n6g. No matter how any decisions were made, the A-Main race was 100% Awesome!!! I believe in the final decision that Tony was the winner based on keeping the lead position for over 86% of the race. Kody only had the lead for 2% of the race.

It's not who has the lead the longest. It's who gets to the finish line first.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wwddww34

Originally Posted by HawaiiBob
Exactly...I can understand assessing a penalty under the right circumstances but the penalty has to be based on the incident not on who lead the race the longest...otherwise we might as well be drifting...no offense intended toward the drifters, I'm just drawing an analogy in that their competitions are based on judgments not on who crosses the finish line first.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by HawaiiBob
You are right. Just like getting that last shot in at a basketball game, the race is all about who crosses the line first. The ROAR RMT did say in our driver's meeting that if you bump somebody else on the track, and get called on it, you will get a "Stop and Go" penalty. They even pointed out the corner of the carpet where you had to stop your car. However in this particular event, the RMT did not call Kody on either one of those bump incidents. The lead RM, Bob, talked to Kody and Tony individually immediately after the race. Then Bob reviewed the video frame-by-frame from the ginormous LiveRC.com camera to see exactly what went down. Afterwards Bob spoke to Tony and Kody together and explained his final decision. I took a pic of the 3 of them together.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The x1 wood be the better of the 2 for rubber tire racing on either surface
Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Pro and X1 will cost more than an FGX and an aftermarket chassis and both Tamiya models are very hard to find at the moment. Tamiya shows both as discontinued and bringing a stock F104 to the level of either the X1 or Pro kit can get expensive. The FGX only needs a couple basic tuning items to keep in mind when building it to be a good performer, which really are about the same for the F104. You need the right tires, springs, sway bars and oils to tune it right for your surface. If you run on an open track without wood barriers to separate the lanes, the FGX will be fine. If you run on a track with hard unforgiving barriers, you may want the Tamiya for front end durability. Both can be made to perform on either hard or carpet surface with out much effort. It all depends on your budget.

Testimonial: I will say that after 125 laps with 3 different drivers, My FGX with a McKune chassis on carpet was still running laps at the same speed with no fall off. Once the tires gained heat/traction, they stayed consistent for over 20 minutes. Some would say that is a fluke, but then we took out its sister car and did the same thing to see if we could beat the previous lap times. Both cars, over 20 minutes, nearly identical lap times. And yes my eyes still hurt.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

thanks will probably get a f104 just don,t know wether a pro or a x1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.