R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #4216
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Sounds like you may have too much front bite and the rear can't hold on. Try tuning for a push and use the esc drag brake to get some forward weight shift for corner entry. Also try loosening the ball diff some so the rear can rotate better through the turns. Also make sure your drive settings in the esc are not too high. Too much initial punch will cause a loose rear end
Yea id suggest loosen up the diff first. Then work on making the front suspension stiffer.
kb525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #4217
Tech Elite
 
Rick Vessell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mars
Posts: 2,239
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAu View Post
Has anyone tried narrowing the front track and how it affects the handling?

I have an F109 and at my current track grip is very low and I can't find a handling balance I like. I've tried all the different tyre combinations that people recommend but its an unprepared track and I just can't get enough rear grip. The care is drivable (and probably reasonably fast) but I would just like it "nicer" to drive.

I've worked out a way to narrow the front to about 193mm. When I've read specs on other 2WD cars the front track is almost always listed as narrower than the rear so I have been wondering if this is a possible solution
Don't narrow the front track, this will only increase steering. Don't loosen the diff too much either as this will increase rotation in the corner also.
Try:
stiffer front springs
heavier lube on the kingpins
shorter rear shock to reduce rear droop (less off power steering)
lighter shock oil
higher front ride height
sauce full rear tire and only half or less of front
move your tie rods to the inner holes on the servo saver, this will smooth out the ackerman also
__________________
Futaba, O.S. Engines, Tornado Fuel, Schumacher Racing, SpeedPassion USA, Eggroll Inc., Desoto Racing, Vesselli Racing
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #4218
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,387
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Vessell View Post
Don't narrow the front track, this will only increase steering. Don't loosen the diff too much either as this will increase rotation in the corner also.
Try:
stiffer front springs
heavier lube on the kingpins
shorter rear shock to reduce rear droop (less off power steering)
lighter shock oil
higher front ride height
sauce full rear tire and only half or less of front
move your tie rods to the inner holes on the servo saver, this will smooth out the ackerman also
All of the above help settle down my car when tires are no help anymore.
We've even been widening the front track width with shims to smooth it out as well as the 3.5 offset front spindles.
When all else fails, a tiny bead of super glue around outside edge of tire tread/contact patch.
I've been to the point where a medium front compound is too much steering and a bit firmer is useless so I've had good luck with the CA glue.
As said above, the higher front ride height (motorboat), light shock oil and super free rear articulation, short top deck and FRP chassis for excessive flex etc. all help on the crappy surfaces.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #4219
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,918
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfour93 View Post
Just a suggestion but take a look at Tamiya PS-17 Metallic Green. You might have to back it up with silver and black to top it off.

got that ordered...

i'm guessing guys are using airplane monokote for the wings? and i guess there's a green close ot the tamiya color?

i hate all the newbie questions, but last one i did was ferarri red and i painted the wings white - which, conviently enough, flaked off from collisions and i'd like this one to actually look (AND STAY) nice
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #4220
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
All of the above help settle down my car when tires are no help anymore.
We've even been widening the front track width with shims to smooth it out as well as the 3.5 offset front spindles.
When all else fails, a tiny bead of super glue around outside edge of tire tread/contact patch.
I've been to the point where a medium front compound is too much steering and a bit firmer is useless so I've had good luck with the CA glue.
As said above, the higher front ride height (motorboat), light shock oil and super free rear articulation, short top deck and FRP chassis for excessive flex etc. all help on the crappy surfaces.
I've used the super glue trick before and it does work to get you through a crappy race night but it is just a band aid. There is a permanent fix to the handling problems. Keep searching for it and it will eventually show itself. I had a bad traction roll problem. Turned out to be too low of a front roll center not enough camber too stiff of a rear end and too much traction compound up front. Keep looking. There is an answer
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #4221
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAu View Post
Has anyone tried narrowing the front track and how it affects the handling?

I have an F109 and at my current track grip is very low and I can't find a handling balance I like. I've tried all the different tyre combinations that people recommend but its an unprepared track and I just can't get enough rear grip. The care is drivable (and probably reasonably fast) but I would just like it "nicer" to drive.

I've worked out a way to narrow the front to about 193mm. When I've read specs on other 2WD cars the front track is almost always listed as narrower than the rear so I have been wondering if this is a possible solution
You said you tried all of the recommended tires but which tires were these? Is there another 109 at your track that is hooked up?

All of the f1 chassis seem to like different tires. The tires from a 104 103 109 and fgx will all be different to get that car hooked up.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #4222
Tech Regular
 
kneedeeppow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: new zealand
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
That is my STI bought it brand new! 585 to the wheels on E85 515 on pump gas! Borg Warner 64mm turbo and I built the motor as well as ported the heads, its a beast!
585??? dang that sounds like a whole bunch of fun
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/Fresh10drift/

Eagle Racing GRT FRD. Tamiya F103GT. Tamiya Blackfoot............ORIGINAL
kneedeeppow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #4223
Tech Master
 
ShadowAu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Somewhere you'd never heard of
Posts: 1,466
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Vessell View Post
Don't narrow the front track, this will only increase steering. Don't loosen the diff too much either as this will increase rotation in the corner also.
Try:
stiffer front springs
heavier lube on the kingpins
shorter rear shock to reduce rear droop (less off power steering)
lighter shock oil
higher front ride height
sauce full rear tire and only half or less of front
move your tie rods to the inner holes on the servo saver, this will smooth out the ackerman also
Ok so narrowing the front is a bad idea... copy that...

I am not sure how much stiffer I can get the front - I already have Associated .024 springs in the front and Tamiya Anti-Wear on the kingpins.

I've not tried traction sauce yet as I've never really liked using it so I need to buy some to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
You said you tried all of the recommended tires but which tires were these? Is there another 109 at your track that is hooked up?.
I should've said "tried most" as I realised today there is a Shimizu combo I haven't got my hands on yet.

I've first tried the kit foams and a couple of variations that were reported to work for people, but because rubber is more popular here I've now switched to rubber and I've tried the Ride B front and A rear combo... There is the Shizimu combo that I am hoping to get but to be honest unless they are something spectacular I am not expecting a massive improvement from them as the current balance between the front and rear is just too far off.

Everyone else is using F104's (and Tamiya tyres I believe) though I think there is one guy showing up soon with an F103... no one else is using an F109 at the moment.

I am starting to suspect I may just have things wrong at a fundamental level... my last F1 was an F103 but of course that was a t-bar car and now I am using a link car... I've gone through the majority of the F109 thread and I thought I had my act together but maybe not
__________________
I have only one more RC thing on my bucket list and I will keep racing (and probably coming last) till its done...
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:01 AM   #4224
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAu View Post
Ok so narrowing the front is a bad idea... copy that...

I am not sure how much stiffer I can get the front - I already have Associated .024 springs in the front and Tamiya Anti-Wear on the kingpins.

I've not tried traction sauce yet as I've never really liked using it so I need to buy some to try it.


I should've said "tried most" as I realised today there is a Shimizu combo I haven't got my hands on yet.

I've first tried the kit foams and a couple of variations that were reported to work for people, but because rubber is more popular here I've now switched to rubber and I've tried the Ride B front and A rear combo... There is the Shizimu combo that I am hoping to get but to be honest unless they are something spectacular I am not expecting a massive improvement from them as the current balance between the front and rear is just too far off.

Everyone else is using F104's (and Tamiya tyres I believe) though I think there is one guy showing up soon with an F103... no one else is using an F109 at the moment.

I am starting to suspect I may just have things wrong at a fundamental level... my last F1 was an F103 but of course that was a t-bar car and now I am using a link car... I've gone through the majority of the F109 thread and I thought I had my act together but maybe not
Just a thought, but have you checked the rear arms are not binding up with the pivot ball?
Some of us found the kit length (for the arms) to be ˝mm too short so made the rear side to side movement bind.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #4225
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAu View Post
Ok so narrowing the front is a bad idea... copy that...

I am not sure how much stiffer I can get the front - I already have Associated .024 springs in the front and Tamiya Anti-Wear on the kingpins.

I've not tried traction sauce yet as I've never really liked using it so I need to buy some to try it.


I should've said "tried most" as I realised today there is a Shimizu combo I haven't got my hands on yet.

I've first tried the kit foams and a couple of variations that were reported to work for people, but because rubber is more popular here I've now switched to rubber and I've tried the Ride B front and A rear combo... There is the Shizimu combo that I am hoping to get but to be honest unless they are something spectacular I am not expecting a massive improvement from them as the current balance between the front and rear is just too far off.

Everyone else is using F104's (and Tamiya tyres I believe) though I think there is one guy showing up soon with an F103... no one else is using an F109 at the moment.

I am starting to suspect I may just have things wrong at a fundamental level... my last F1 was an F103 but of course that was a t-bar car and now I am using a link car... I've gone through the majority of the F109 thread and I thought I had my act together but maybe not
Shimizu tires are awesome and hook up really well on the f109. We have a guy running the super soft tires on carpet and his car is glued. I do not know anyone running the ride tire but they are supposed to be really good.

Before you order the shimizu tires definitely try the traction compound. This seems to make a ton of difference on the f1 cars. It may not be necessary in the hot summer months but it is a big help with colder track temps. Try doing a full rear tire first. If the car develops a push then try 1/4 to 1/2 a tire up front to go with the full rear. I bet you see a huge difference.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #4226
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Be sure to put the traction compound on the inside part of the front tires and not the outside. I made this mistake once and it wasn't pretty.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #4227
Tech Elite
 
Pro10noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,076
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

It kept flipping over??
Try just the rear and nothing at the front and work your way from there.
Better start with some understeer and work your way from there, then a oversteered car.

regards Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
Be sure to put the traction compound on the inside part of the front tires and not the outside. I made this mistake once and it wasn't pretty.
__________________
l===/o\===l
[_]-###-[_] V-link proto type Pro10,JKMR P235-SE Pro10
P235-VL Pro10 comming soon
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #4228
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
It kept flipping over??
Try just the rear and nothing at the front and work your way from there.
Better start with some understeer and work your way from there, then a oversteered car.

regards Roy
Bingo. Instant rolling f1 car. Really bad considering that there is a garage door just outside of the sweeper apex. I hit that door a couple of times. We call that ringing the bell. I did get to test the durability of the fgx rabbit conversion though. A very tough chassis.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #4229
Tech Initiate
 
BUCKSHOTRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MOBILE,AL
Posts: 41
Default HELP F103RM ?

WILL A F104 MCLAREN OR F60 BODY FIT ON MY 103 ?
__________________
BUCKSHOT
BUCKSHOTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #4230
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,918
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOTRC View Post
WILL A F104 MCLAREN OR F60 BODY FIT ON MY 103 ?
possibly - as long as you don't cut out the side pontoons

or if you want a mclaren body to fit your F103, shoot me a PM - I have one I that i was going to use, but not going to use it anymore. its NIB, well opened back, but everything is untouched just wanted to look at the directions so i pulled it out
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Championship Series Neil Rabara Racing Forum 20785 12-06-2016 07:21 PM
TAMIYA F103 RM energyracing Electric On-Road 2342 01-09-2016 02:15 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:13 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0