Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Like Tree2820Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
What surface are you running on that you found the improvement on?
Did you get more grip in the rear or did it free it up a bit?
Medium-high grip asphalt outdoors at night. I didn't measure the temperature but it was just cold enough to have to start wearing a jacket.

It was all grip in the rear. With the 572's I have been having trouble with consistency and my fastest lap wasn't 100% there. A lot of the time I was trying to manage oversteer out of corners. I haven't raced in a few years and had never raced 2wd so I thought initally I just needed practice. Soon as I put the 575's on the car was consistant and about half a second a lap faster. I wish I had put them on earlier in the night. I am finding though the shimizu's have a fairly limited temp range.

On a side note I've just ordered some of those GQ racing foams for the f104. I've heard they make some of the best foams out there so I wanted to give them a shot. They are for more extremely hot (where the rubbers would just not work last time I tried) and extremely cold.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Speaking of cool old liveries
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by fredswain
I think he is talking about in the real F1 car series not the rc series.
Yes, the real deal.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Speaking of cool old liveries
[IMG][/IMG]
Cant use it, too wide (joke).

Looks like a Williams FW14 shell ?
The Jordan 191 was the best handling shell I found back in the early '90's.
Ran in on an F102 chassis and in SASOL colours at my club.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't the advertising laws in different countries force the teams to modify their sponsorships sometimes thus forcing then to run a different scheme? I'm not talking about Ferrari running a sunoco blue car for a special race. To me one decal or a different color wing plate makes it a different paint scheme. Sorry its from my plastic modeling days. We used to choose a certain race to replicate the car from.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

not sure about the laws, but the associate sponsors/decals do sometimes change race to race. Noticed Sky was sponsor on barge boards for RedBull in Brazil but had Rauch most of the rest of the year there.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NiMo
Cant use it, too wide (joke).

Looks like a Williams FW14 shell ?
The Jordan 191 was the best handling shell I found back in the early '90's.
Ran in on an F102 chassis and in SASOL colours at my club.
No its actually a Lotus 107/ Type C body
Going to do the FW14 decals in the very near future
Old 02-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Tech Adept

How many posts must i have to add photos? Ive got some pics id like to share but seems as though im not able
Old 02-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Another great turnout from the F1 NAZI at one point today we had 16 cars, all with F1 livery and looking SWEEEEET!!
once again the FGX was DOMINANT!!
Just a practice day our next race is this coming sunday, 16 cars showed up today and we expect around 20 next sunday for the race!

Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

looking good
Old 02-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

mantis where is the track located? what state?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by fat500
mantis where is the track located? what state?

Houston TEXAS! WE race F1 every weekend between two tracks and soon to be three by the summer, Gonna put together a summer series between Dallas and houston!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong
Originally Posted by NiMo
I'm still amused by the issue of "Not true to scale".
Touring cars - I did an article on this many moons ago on the width of cars when the narrow touring cars took over from the wide touring cars (anyone here remember when Touring cars were Buggy's with wide Touring shells on?)
You mean a vehicle like the old RC10 DS; which was the RC10 chassis with smaller wheels and out of scale bodies?
No, NiMo meant the touring cars we were running in the late 80s, long before the TA01 appeared. Chassis were converted buggy chassis running on 2.2" foams with bodies by Parma and Frewer, they were the 4wd equivalent of Pro10.

It really puts the argument about not allowing 200mm F1 cars at all because they aren't scale to the latest F1s seem rather petty compared to how non scale these huge things were. We only stopped racing them because it was much cheaper to run the readily available narrow tourers with their plastic chassis and cheap rubber tyres that lasted months. My how things have changed there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 190mm was standard since the Ta01. The original HPI RS4 was the only car that was able to do either 190 or 200. I see you point though, it wasn't true to scale like it should have been.
In the early days of tourers there was no standard, but there wasn't a big range of cars either. Tamiyas were around 180mm wide, then later the YR4 was 190mm and the RS4 could be 190 or 200mm depending on how you built it. The 190mm standard only came official around 1995 when the BRCA created a set of rules that were then copied around the world, which then meant manufacturers had a universal set of rules to build chassis to and we had an explosion in manufacturers 1996 to 1998.

The same has happened with WorldGT, twelve years ago Associated and Corally made 200mm wide WorldGT cars, but they were ignored by everyone as the pan car class at the time was still 235mm. Today most countries that runs them have adopted the new narrower rules so it's easy for manufacturers to build cars that can race everywhere, while there is also still room for the old style 235mm cars in the places they want to run them. F1 is similar, most countries run to one set of rules, while others still run to the new narrower rules.

So I'm beginning to wonder: If a national set of rules (or even a international set) were to allow up to 200mm, would that mean that everyone would flock to 200mm for performance?
The rest of the world usually runs to 200mm because they have always done so and every manufacturer already makes a car to the 200mm rules, even Tamiya with their F103 and F104W cars and HPI with the F10 foam conversion, so the rest of the world wouldn't be flocking to 200mm as they are already there.

Having run with a mix of 180mm and 200mm cars, in the end there isn't the huge performance advantage that some people seem to think there is between the two cars on a high grip surface like carpet when you start comparing the likes of the Exotek and other conversions with wide cars, although there might be a bigger difference on tarmac I wonder how much is down to the wider tyres the 200mm cars use rather than the actual overall width. The fastest car at my local club is an F104, although it does have a Team Bomber conversion which made a world of difference.

I don't think the reason many people choose 200mm is purely down to performance. Certainly here in the UK if we had stuck to 180mm F1 would be dead as a class thanks to the F104s being very expensive and hard to find, not because the F104s are slow. The 200mm national class took off because racers were already running F109s or F103s either dug out of the loft or bought cheap on ebay. 180mm was ignored here because an F104 Pro cost £240(+alloy upgrades!) while an F109 could be picked up for £100. For those who really want to run as scale as possible we have a narrow class running rubbers, similar to UF1 rules, yet it managed to attract only one entry at one of our national rounds so I can't see 180mm ever taking over in the UK.

In the US it seems the complete opposite to other countries around the world with the 180mm cars being the popular class, but that doesn't mean the two classes have to be reduced to one single class. We don't have an F1 world championships, so until that time there is no point in trying to create a set of rules that the world has to run to, and even then there would be no necessity for everyone to run to the same rules, after all no one in 1/12th or touring cars regularly run to the same rules as their worlds.

If people want to run to 180mm, 200mm, allow independent suspension or stick with solid axle, want everything to be as scale as possible or allow a free for all, or run brushless or brushed, then as long as whatever rules you choose encourages more racers into F1 it doesn't matter at all if others run to different rules, but there is no reason to try and unify the rules if other prefer something different to you.
The only time there could ever be any sort of crisis over the width rules is if Tamiya discontinues the F104 spare parts so you can't narrow a 200mm front end, which based on past experience isn't going to happen for a few years after Tamiya eventually stops selling the narrow F104.

As for the argument that the 200mm wide cars aren't 'scale' because they are wider than the current scale width of 180mm, to be pedantic about this if the 180mm wide cars were actually true to scale they should be about 40mm longer as modern full size F1s have a wheelbase around 3100mm.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
No its actually a Lotus 107/ Type C body
Going to do the FW14 decals in the very near future
Got a Type C body and the D-Drive decals just for this, it should make a very good FW14.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by terry.sc
Good points..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.