R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #4021
Tech Fanatic
 
bakaguyjean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atsugi Japan
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
If a width rule were strictly enforced and wasn't changed then manufacturers would stop making cars that dont fit the bill for the most part. People would be less likely to buy a car if they werent able to race it anywhere, leading manufacturers to produce cars that would actually sell and be raced. Look what happened with the serpent when it had nowhere to run.

I dont agree with banning the FGX. Its an interesting car. But from what I've read its made of glass unless you replace over half of it. I think the proper thing to do would be to make it run with the 200mm cars. As it didnt fit the 180mm and under rule. But it does fit the 200mm and under rule.

But the rule has already been changed. So the problem no one wanted has already been started.

ANY paint scheme COULD happen on an F1 car. There is no rule in real F1 that says your car must be painted this way or that. Just like there should be no rule in RC F1. Realistic paint schemes should be encouraged sure. The realism is a big draw to F1. But I sure as hell wouldnt pay someone $175-200 for an RC car body if I couldnt paint it myself. My last F1 body cost me over $100 when it was all done. I'm okay with that because I enjoy doing them. I've always enjoyed doing models as well. But you cant force someone who may not have the skills or patience to spend that kind of money to have someone do it. That will destroy the class and drive people away.
F1 does have rules for paint the cars,team cars must match. Honda had to split thier cars in half in 1999 and had to make them match. Hondas plan was to have one car Lucky Strike and one car 555,but with the rules they had to make the cars match,so they had to split the color scheme so each sponcer got a full car. Just two halves.
There are other rules about drivers names,numbers and other small details.

You paid $100 for a body,ok that was your choice. If you did it yourself you could of saved at least $50. You could also pay somebody to drive theh car for you also. Thats an idea.
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #4022
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,387
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

If you are an F1 rc fan and have races near you, be happy and sign up.
If you just can't stand the rules, don't play.
It's ok to make suggestions and hope for your changes to happen but til then if you are a fan and want to race, sign up.

I miss my F103 on foam as much as anyone else but they aren't in fashion at the moment here but we are racin our asses off with the modern cars right now.
The FGX is here but not dominating yet, it probably won't be long though cuz the heavy hitters really like the whole concept of this car and are getting them if they don't already have them.
Can either get on board or be a spectator and wish it was just the way you want it, it's obvious everyone won't be pleased.

My wish would be to have enough entries to have the 2 classes and I would be able to pick which one I wanted to run each race day.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #4023
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 1,685
Default

$40 for a decent body, $30 for a decal sheet, $15 for paint = $85 in basic materials. $100 was a deal.
__________________
3Racing Sakura XI 17.5 TC
Formula Rabbit (FGX conversion) 21.5
STRC LCG 2WD Slash 17.5
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #4024
Tech Elite
 
Racecrafter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: RC Mecca
Posts: 4,138
Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
If you are an F1 rc fan and have races near you, be happy and sign up.
If you just can't stand the rules, don't play.
It's ok to make suggestions and hope for your changes to happen but til then if you are a fan and want to race, sign up.

I miss my F103 on foam as much as anyone else but they aren't in fashion at the moment here but we are racin our asses off with the modern cars right now.
The FGX is here but not dominating yet, it probably won't be long though cuz the heavy hitters really like the whole concept of this car and are getting them if they don't already have them.
Can either get on board or be a spectator and wish it was just the way you want it, it's obvious everyone won't be pleased.

My wish would be to have enough entries to have the 2 classes and I would be able to pick which one I wanted to run each race day.
+1

Now lets see some paint jobs!
__________________
Jimmy Wright

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #4025
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hudson Falls, NY
Posts: 872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
First of all cheap racing died with the bolink legends. If you want to be competitive in ANY class its going to cost you. Second if you want a cheap class why are you running f1? Open wheels means more broken parts. More broken parts means more $$$$$$. Third the fgx is fragile and does require work to make it right. I did the rabbit conversion to mine to make it durable. I am not the fastest car on the track either. I Chase a f104 and a f109.

If we are going to ban cars based on cost I guess anything exotek is out as well as tamiyas pro versions. Bet the new serpent isn't going to be cheap either. Can't add any upgrades either. Chassis won't be cheap anymore with all of that aluminium.

Come on and be serious for a minute. The independent suspensions a great idea and is only advancing the technology. The straight axle, while dependable has been around for years. Why not try something new.

Sorry for the rant but the lets ban this car bs really gets me going. The car isn't any more expensive then all of the high end cars we all drool over when someone brings one out. Be glad you have the fgx and others to race against. Start banning cars and you will be the only one on the track.
I agree with your post. And for those who are "hell-bent" on banning the FGX or any other car that dares to advance F1 car design because it's convenient for you to stay with the solid axle status quo, and you are afraid of change; well gee, maybe we should ban books and burn them too like some narrow-minded people of the past used to do who were fearful of change! I think the analogy fits.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #4026
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,387
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
+1

Now lets see some paint jobs!
Oh crap, now I need to do another one but it's gotta be on the cheap, may even be lackin stickers but fortunately our UF1 rules won't send you packin if you aren't sportin the concourse body.
Then again, I do have a sheet of Marlboro and a sheet of Vodafone to incorporate, just don't want to do a cookie cutter or bellybutton that everyone's got. Hmmmm.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #4027
Tech Elite
 
Odin544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kennewick, Washington
Posts: 3,166
Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaguyjean View Post
F1 does have rules for paint the cars,team cars must match. Honda had to split thier cars in half in 1999 and had to make them match. Hondas plan was to have one car Lucky Strike and one car 555,but with the rules they had to make the cars match,so they had to split the color scheme so each sponcer got a full car. Just two halves.
There are other rules about drivers names,numbers and other small details.

You paid $100 for a body,ok that was your choice. If you did it yourself you could of saved at least $50. You could also pay somebody to drive theh car for you also. Thats an idea.
Ok well I dont see people running a team of cars so I dont see how that would apply. My point was there is no rule saying you cant have X scheme on your car.

I'd like to learn to make my own decals and come up with my own. But I dont really have the knowledge or equipment to do it. So its easier to buy them. Cheaper? Nope.

And yes I could have painted up a F60 with the kit stickers for $50. But I like having something different than everyone else. So far I have a RB torro rosso, and Lotus T128, and a Ferrari. I've also got a fresh body and the RB7 decals. But I havent decided if I want to do that one yet. I'm waiting to see what BPshadow comes out with.
Odin544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #4028
Tech Elite
 
Odin544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kennewick, Washington
Posts: 3,166
Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
First of all cheap racing died with the bolink legends. If you want to be competitive in ANY class its going to cost you. Second if you want a cheap class why are you running f1? Open wheels means more broken parts. More broken parts means more $$$$$$. Third the fgx is fragile and does require work to make it right. I did the rabbit conversion to mine to make it durable. I am not the fastest car on the track either. I Chase a f104 and a f109.

If we are going to ban cars based on cost I guess anything exotek is out as well as tamiyas pro versions. Bet the new serpent isn't going to be cheap either. Can't add any upgrades either. Chassis won't be cheap anymore with all of that aluminium.

Come on and be serious for a minute. The independent suspensions a great idea and is only advancing the technology. The straight axle, while dependable has been around for years. Why not try something new.

Sorry for the rant but the lets ban this car bs really gets me going. The car isn't any more expensive then all of the high end cars we all drool over when someone brings one out. Be glad you have the fgx and others to race against. Start banning cars and you will be the only one on the track.
I hope this wasn't directed at me. My only real gripe is someone requiring F1 replica bodies that cost $100 +. There are no cheap racing classes. PERIOD. Competitive nature will see to that haha. You could spec every single component and it still wont be cheap. People will still look for that 1/10 of a second. But requiring certain paint schemes IS rediculous.

A couple local people complained that people bought F1R's to run when they only had standard 104's they tried saying that the class was meant to be cheap. Well its only as cheap as the individual makes it.

I've easily got more into my F1's than my TC. But I love the F1's that much more that they are my priority. TC is just my filler class haha. I dont ever change the setup on my TC cuz I'm just not that worried about it.

I dont understand how some people break these F1's as much as they do. I've personally only ever broken a rear wing. And I've launched my car into steel uprights of the buildings, head on at full speed into a car that has jumped the road rail, etc. I dont crash as much as some of the people at my track, but I'm certainly not the best driver. But we also have a pretty courteous group of drivers. Its no SC class that's for sure.

I agree though none of the cars should be banned. We have one more club race for onroad and then we are back to offroad. We created our rules just before UF1 changed theirs. So we are using the UF1 rules from last summer. We may end up changing them to model the new UF1 rules. But we haven't even talked about it yet. We currently run 180mm and under for a few reasons. We'd decided on rubber tires. We knew we wouldn't have enough drivers to support both 180 and 200mm. And no one local had cars yet. So we didnt have to worry about excluding any ones car that they already owned.

Last edited by Odin544; 02-21-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Odin544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #4029
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,327
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I don't want to ban any car. I want to see innovation and variation just like the real F1 world but within a set of rules that limits certain things as the UF1 rules do. What I want to see is a set of rules (enforced) that states a max width, wheelbase, minimum weight AND maximum weight, motor/esc combo set such as blinky mode 21.5, rubber tires, an F1 style body and wings and F1 style wheels, and that's it. It actually seems that the UF1 rules basically do state this with the exception of the max weight. I say follow the rules rather than have local interpretations changing everyday based on someone's mood or personal opinion. It eliminates so many problems.

The newest drama in the Houston scene was mention today that silver can 540 brushed motors be banned and only 21.5 brushless allowed. That means that everyone that just bought a Tamiya car to run must also change the motor. Not sure if they are going to enforce that one or not though. Like the paint rule it too would be asinine so hopefully they won't go there. If they enforce that then the next rule that would probably be made is that everyone needs to have blond hair and blue eyes.

If UF1 rules are followed then the rest should be fair game which means if you want to custom build your own car, as long as it fits in those rules, it's ok to run. If you want to modify your car and change things around, as long as it fits within those rules, it's ok. If you want to run a real paint scheme or a fantasy one, you can . It's simple. These rules are the perfect rules for the class to encourage new people. If you guys haven't noticed by now, there is more than one person on the fence about even entering a class that has a strict paint policy and I guarantee there are others that aren't speaking up on a forum.
__________________
Follow my rc products on Facebook at Raborn Racing Originals and the line of 3D printed parts at
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/rebellionrc
fredswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #4030
Tech Regular
 
kneedeeppow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: new zealand
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
If you are an F1 rc fan and have races near you, be happy and sign up.
If you just can't stand the rules, don't play.
It's ok to make suggestions and hope for your changes to happen but til then if you are a fan and want to race, sign up.

I miss my F103 on foam as much as anyone else but they aren't in fashion at the moment here but we are racin our asses off with the modern cars right now.
The FGX is here but not dominating yet, it probably won't be long though cuz the heavy hitters really like the whole concept of this car and are getting them if they don't already have them.
Can either get on board or be a spectator and wish it was just the way you want it, it's obvious everyone won't be pleased.

My wish would be to have enough entries to have the 2 classes and I would be able to pick which one I wanted to run each race day.
well put cuda. why ban a car that is not really on the pace? if it gets more people on drivers stands thats gotta be a good thing right so all power to the fgx owner whos car will more than likey get whuuped my the 103/4/9 etcs.
and coming from a country that doesnt allow them to race officially,saying ban them seems a little redundant. i have one and it is an absolute blast to drive.it sits right beside my 104. i am looking forward to the next time i get to drive it,have had a tweak here and there so maybe it will go better,maybe worse. bring it on
Attached Thumbnails
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-fgxr-104.jpg  
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/Fresh10drift/

Eagle Racing GRT FRD. Tamiya F103GT. Tamiya Blackfoot............ORIGINAL
kneedeeppow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #4031
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
The newest drama in the Houston scene was mention today that silver can 540 brushed motors be banned and only 21.5 brushless allowed. That means that everyone that just bought a Tamiya car to run must also change the motor. Not sure if they are going to enforce that one or not though. Like the paint rule it too would be asinine so hopefully they won't go there. If they enforce that then the next rule that would probably be made is that everyone needs to have blond hair and blue eyes.
Now that is pretty ridiculous especially considering the silver can is so much slower than a 21.5! Why would you bother to waste the time, ink, and paper to ban the silver can?
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #4032
Tech Regular
 
SourDieselX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cypress, Tx
Posts: 307
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
I don't want to ban any car. I want to see innovation and variation just like the real F1 world but within a set of rules that limits certain things as the UF1 rules do. What I want to see is a set of rules (enforced) that states a max width, wheelbase, minimum weight AND maximum weight, motor/esc combo set such as blinky mode 21.5, rubber tires, an F1 style body and wings and F1 style wheels, and that's it. It actually seems that the UF1 rules basically do state this with the exception of the max weight. I say follow the rules rather than have local interpretations changing everyday based on someone's mood or personal opinion. It eliminates so many problems.

The newest drama in the Houston scene was mention today that silver can 540 brushed motors be banned and only 21.5 brushless allowed. That means that everyone that just bought a Tamiya car to run must also change the motor. Not sure if they are going to enforce that one or not though. Like the paint rule it too would be asinine so hopefully they won't go there. If they enforce that then the next rule that would probably be made is that everyone needs to have blond hair and blue eyes.

If UF1 rules are followed then the rest should be fair game which means if you want to custom build your own car, as long as it fits in those rules, it's ok to run. If you want to modify your car and change things around, as long as it fits within those rules, it's ok. If you want to run a real paint scheme or a fantasy one, you can . It's simple. These rules are the perfect rules for the class to encourage new people. If you guys haven't noticed by now, there is more than one person on the fence about even entering a class that has a strict paint policy and I guarantee there are others that aren't speaking up on a forum.
Just to make one correction sir, the Tamiya Silver Can is NOT being discussed about being banned. This is foolishness, this is rumors being spread and is completely false. One person made a stink about 21.5 and silver cans and that person just needs to read the ACTUAL rules for our F1 races which can be found on the 1st page of 2cool or rcshox website. Rumors is how things escalate and escalation turns into issues and issues shut down a good thing.

Now, onto the other issues....No one is being forced to run F1s, various areas have various rules, the way I see it is, adhere to the rules or don't run with the locals. There are plenty of open parking lots, driveways, roads, etc etc where you can run your "fantasy" F1. Most of us like the scale look, some don't, for those who don't, no one is forcing you to run. If the rules were to cater to each individual that had a qualm about anything, then the classes would be filled with a mixed variation of cars, buggies, trucks, boats, and anything else a set of wheels and a motor could be fit into. Do you go to your local track and tell them how to run their clubs?
__________________
---Sponsor: Remote Control Hobbies---
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Remote-Control-Hobbies/156985487744758

Go big or go home!!
SourDieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #4033
Tech Regular
 
SourDieselX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cypress, Tx
Posts: 307
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

For all those who are unsure of how to access the Houston Area F1 Racing Rules.


HOUSTON AREA FORMULA ONE RACING



Alright ladies and gents…..

Here are the rules:

NO Exceptions unless otherwise noted. Stewards reserve the right to accept or deny changes and are the final word.

Motor : 21.5/silver can TBA on F201 only
ESC :blinky mode, no timing
Tires : Rubber only, F1 scale
Body : F1 scale front & rear wing
Width : 205mm maximum
Battery: 2 cell lipo

Chassis accepted are all your Mfg chassis with upgraded chassis that are available to the public.

All Upgraded Chassis will be allowed under these conditions

You must run a Mfg rear and front end suspension off of a mfg 1/10 F1 car
-yes you can change front arms to turnbuckles or anyone elses upgrade *****”THAT IS SOLD TO THE PUBLIC”*****
-Exotech
-Rabbit
-Anyone that is making parts that can be sold is allowed

This is a scale STOCK class and will be treated as such, Your car must follow the livery (scheme) of a real 1:1 Formula team Preferably one that matches your chassis. F104/FGX=2009 and up, F103/f109 2008 and down

Racing format:

2-3(depending on turnout, 8 minute qualifiers with no pit stop. staggered start and you are on your own clock. TQ will be the driver with the most laps in 8 minutes

15min Amain with 1 stop and go pit stop that is not allowed until at least five minutes of the race has transpired. All other mains are 10 minutes with open pit stop time. (but still a stop and go pit stop.

PIT STOPS:

You must come to a COMPLETE stop within the designated pit box and then go. Failure to do so will force another pit stop.

Rules will be re evaluated every 6mths

If you have any questions on the above items please contact at info@RCshox.com

Oh, one more thing…. The Bashing on the forum….. THIS WILL GET YOU DQ’ED from any of our races before you even get to park and set up your stuff. The Keyboard bashing is for facebook and myspace. Thank you guys for your time and interests. We hope to see you at the track!
__________________
---Sponsor: Remote Control Hobbies---
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Remote-Control-Hobbies/156985487744758

Go big or go home!!
SourDieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #4034
Tech Master
 
texastc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forney Texas
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I see a lot of worrying over nothing. If you don't like the rules don't play. Banning this or banning that, please. These are toy cars. They are expensive toy cars but the are toy cars. If you don't want the FGX in your class, fine. Don't want 190mm cars, fine. Want to keep out the wide 200's go ahead. Make your rules, see how it goes, if it works great, if it doesn't either adjust them or watch the class die. I would be willing to bet that most people don't care if your running an FGX, 104, 103 or a 109. We run them all here. And its the good drivers winning. No matter what.
How about making rules that don't keep people from participating? Spec the tires, spec the motor, esc whatever. Hell limit the FDR. Or just go and race the damn things and have fun.
__________________
Exotek F1 Ultra
Exotek F1R
CRC Gen-X 10 LE
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #4035
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 526
Default

*
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Championship Series Neil Rabara Racing Forum 20789 Yesterday 06:01 PM
TAMIYA F103 RM energyracing Electric On-Road 2342 01-09-2016 02:15 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:31 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0