R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #3991
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Anyone know what color accurately reproduces the BRM green or the Alfa red of the late 50 early 60s?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #3992
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Quinn, who is your race promoter? Are they on RC Tech. The majority of us would like to have a word with him/them.
Whoa, I sure don't want to start any crap. I hear he's a great guy, and I may be in the minority here. I haven't even got to race yet. Only reason I commented was because I saw others discussing it. My main beef with it, is it will cost someone with used gear around $100 to meet the paint requirements. I will have $250 in my used gear total, including 3 painted bodies that don't meet the spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafcik View Post
This is not true. I hate the paint rule as much as you do. However, the current version says any current or former f1 paint scheme can be used on any body.
Here are specifics I pulled from that thread before I got tired around page 50 of 100+.

"...you cannot paint a F104 with a paint job from 1976! You can paint a F103 like a car from 1976 since that chassis is wide/short wheelbase and the newer generation of F1's are long and narrow."

"As per the rules your car needs to be Era specific so you need to pick a livery from 2009 and up if you have a 104. Unless it has a pro body on it and that era is 2000ish to 2008."
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #3993
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

hmmm . . you are correct, i thought it was changed. I have a hard time believing Mike's would not allow us to run because we have an incorrect paint scheme. I understand the spirit of the rule - but i think it is silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
Whoa, I sure don't want to start any crap. I hear he's a great guy, and I may be in the minority here. I haven't even got to race yet. Only reason I commented was because I saw others discussing it. My main beef with it, is it will cost someone with used gear around $100 to meet the paint requirements. I will have $250 in my used gear total, including 3 painted bodies that don't meet the spec.

Here are specifics I pulled from that thread before I got tired around page 50 of 100+.

"...you cannot paint a F104 with a paint job from 1976! You can paint a F103 like a car from 1976 since that chassis is wide/short wheelbase and the newer generation of F1's are long and narrow."

"As per the rules your car needs to be Era specific so you need to pick a livery from 2009 and up if you have a 104. Unless it has a pro body on it and that era is 2000ish to 2008."
Krafcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #3994
Tech Elite

^that is precisely what I disagree with about the rules here. If strict adherence to the paint fiasco means I don't join the series then so be it. I haven't raced anything in nearly 25 years anyways. What's a little longer?

Over on the 2coolfishing forum, some guys here were stating that if you showed up with your own paint job that you had better not walk away from it because they would mark it up and redecorate it for you which is really a nice way of saying vandalizing and defacing your body. If someone did that to mine that I would return the favor on their real car. Hopefully it was a joke but you never know.

I don't want tribal flames or random stickers all over the place. I can't pull off those paint jobs anyways. I want a "what if" paint job that would look like what a Mazda F1 car might look like if they raced F1, which they don't. If you didn't actively follow F1, you'd never know it wasn't a real scheme. I'm not even sure I could pull it off the way I want to. I just don't want to run what anyone else has. I want a variation of this paint scheme adapted to F1. Here's the same design on 2 cars in 2 color schemes.
Attached Thumbnails
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-787b.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-courage.jpg  
Old 02-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #3995
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
There are a few things I don't like about our rules here and I'll keep my true feelings of certain aspects of them to myself. If I decide to race after all then my opinion of them is irrelevant anyways so long as I just follow them. The paint rule is really the make or break rule to me. It's what keeps me on the fence even though I already have a car to run. The paint rule is well intentioned but that doesn't mean it isn't completely stupid to strictly enforce. It should be encouraged but not required. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
This is kinda where I am also. The class looks like a blast and I have a friend that is running it already. My hang up is the paint rule too. My normal buggy paint job would easily transfer to an F1 and appear as a "realistic could have run" paint job if doen correctly. There are a couple other things I don't necessarily like, but this is the one that's keeping me as a racer with limited funds from jumping full on into this class.
Six Feet Deep Clothing:www.sfdclothing.com; EPIC Cameras; Eken Power Bands
e-guy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #3996
Tech Master

The bigger thing to me is we need variety out there. who wants 10 red cars and 10 silver cars? Is it really going to harm things to have that beautiful Mazda out there? Of course not.

I say paint it up and come join us!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #3997
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Why don't they give new drivers X number of races to come up with a "proper" painted body? You'll be turning people for no reason who might want to just try things out.

Not to mention, the livery rules are way too restrictive. any past, present F1 or other real race teams makes it much more fun really.

Just no neon/tribal eye crimes

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #3998
Tech Elite

From what I've seen here so far people have been pretty good about getting a many different liveries done so there is variety. There are still repeats though and the more people enter this class the more it will become an issue. Even if there is a color that is yet unused, what if I don't like it? What if I don't want to run it? Am I going to be expected to or to run a copy of another existing scheme and then be expected to pay for a decal sheet that I don't even want in the first place?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #3999
Tech Master

For those of you from Houston - the rule currently reads:

"As for the scale look. this has been the only other topic that has caused different opinions. Let me clear this up also.
If you do not have the ability to paint and sticker, im sorry for your bad luck. Smiley and others will paint for you if you can afford it. If you bring a car that is not painted to a scale look (to MIKES GCR) it will be made fun of in a kind manner and i will personally write stuff on it with a black permant marker while your in the bathroom.(flowers, girl stuff etc) Be warned! Lol"

You can find this on page 46 post 451
Old 02-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #4000
Tech Elite

Vandalism can't be done in a "kind" manner. Defacing someone else's property (regardless of scale) is vandalism. I'm sure the person doing it would be pissed off if someone did the same thing in return to their real car in the parking lot in retaliation. Don't worry, it'd be done in a "kind" manner.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #4001
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm pretty certain that comment was made on that forum in jest.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #4002
Tech Initiate

Not really sure where to post this, but I am looking to get into F1 RC racing. I am mainly looking at the 3Racing FGX or Tamiya F104. I'm not sure what kind of motor, ESC, or servo to look into to buying. Is there an informational page about the electronics, etc.? Thank you.
huskerwr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #4003
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastc View Post
I'm pretty certain that comment was made on that forum in jest.
Probably. That would mean however that you can show up with whatever paint scheme you want. You'll just be subject to ridicule. I can live with that.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #4004
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38 View Post
Not really sure where to post this, but I am looking to get into F1 RC racing. I am mainly looking at the 3Racing FGX or Tamiya F104. I'm not sure what kind of motor, ESC, or servo to look into to buying. Is there an informational page about the electronics, etc.? Thank you.
Most places seem to run 21.5 with no esc timing of "blinky" mode. The servo doesn't need to be exotic. Just look for one that centers well. It will help with steering consistency. If you go with the fgx you will need a low profile servo to keep the steering below the top deck.

Best thing to do is to check what is being run at your local track. Most tracks seem to be using the uf1 rules. Google uf1 and you will find the rules.

There are a lot of posts about different escs and motors but I don't know of one that is f1 specific. I can vouch that the Novak edge esc with a reedy sonic 21.5 works well. The Novak ballistic worked well for me too.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #4005
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38 View Post
Go here for some unbiased F1 info, and some biased racing info. Biased cuz UF1 Ultimate F1 racing series is the shit.
Be sure to check out all the tabs at the top and you will have spent your time wisely.

http://uf1series.com/_sub_pages/2012/uf1_101.html