R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #3616
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Top man, thanks for the info.

What's the difference between WGT wheels and 1/10 pan wheels? Guessing the pan wheels are a little bit wider?
No difference in size, the difference is that the WorldGT class runs on a spec compound, so each manufacturer supplies only one compound as WGT tyres.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #3617
Tech Adept

Thumbs up help

Ok, I know nothing about F1 rc
but they look so sexy I must have one!
what is a chassis that will make me drool all over my self?
thanks
brushless55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #3618
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Ok, I know nothing about F1 rc
but they look so sexy I must have one!
what is a chassis that will make me drool all over my self?
thanks
F103
F109
FGX
F104
F104W
F104X1
F1R

commence drooling
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #3619
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastc View Post
F103
F109
FGX
F104
F104W
F104X1
F1R

commence drooling
Dang that was fast!
who's got some sexy F1 pics they want to show and persway me to certain chassis?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #3620
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

well they all take the same bodies, so you can go old school or new. Check out this site, make sure your sitting down. F1Paintlab
Attached Thumbnails
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-matte1.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-exmclaren1.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-img_0287.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-imag0406.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-fgx-013.jpg  

Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #3621
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastc View Post
well they all take the same bodies, so you can go old school or new. Check out this site, make sure your sitting down. F1Paintlab
Very cool!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #3622
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb525 View Post
Ive been thinking about this for a bit, would there be any advantage to runing IRS front suspension on an F104w? Im thinking of trying this out whenever i get mine shipped over here. Pretty much consisting of the linked front suspension with the bottom plate converted to individual links, then a small spring connected to the main section. And possibly a tube damper connecting both sides.
The original Cross F1 from 7-8 years ago had a proper inboard springs and rockers front end, you can see it here http://www.rc-cross.com/page/FireForce.html and it had a link rear end. In 2008 it was redesigned, keeping the double wishbone front end but moving the springs outboard to cut down on the complexity, and the link rear end was ditched for a normal T-piece rear, details of it here http://www.rc-cross.com/page/english/FireForce2008.html. If you fancy using it, RCMart are selling the Fireforce for less than half price

As Robks pictures show, proper independent suspension was tried in 1/12th and 1/10th 20-30 years ago and abandoned as with all the extra complexity and weight didn't improve performance one bit.
A double wishbone suspension only has an advantage over a greater range of suspension travel than the sliding kingpin/single wishbone/fixed lower wishbone designs that are used currently. The latest Yokomo R12 uses a double wishbone front end which can fit any other 1/12th yet no one is swapping from the current Associated front end.

I have an HPI Super F1 and also have the HPI front end on a Yeah Racing Dark Chocolate conversion to match the extra rear end movement. In both cases due to the very inboard spring mounting, in both cases I have replaced the springs with two O-rings each side to limit the wheel movement and also damp the springing.

If you want to develop a double wishbone front end then I would recommend you try and have the spring mounting point as far out on the wishbone as you can, much like the Cross front end. Scaling from your drawing it looks like a 9:1 leverage ratio, which means the springs will need to be 9 times as stiff as normal springs, and over full travel the spring will be compressed by 0.5mm to 1mm only.

As for IRS car being the future of F1, well currently they are only race legal at UF1, most other places around the world lists a solid rear axle in the rules. I know in the UK the decision to allow IRS would have to be voted in by the BRCA members which is very unlikely to happen. It will also be interesting to see if IRS can run at the IIC, considering last year they ran spec tyres obviously chosen for pan car chassis rather than being suitable for the FGX.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #3623
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokosam View Post
Ok, I see, You prefer to continue in The Flinstones Era.
There's a simple answer if you want fully independent suspension, go run touring cars.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #3624
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
The original Cross F1 from 7-8 years ago had a proper inboard springs and rockers front end, you can see it here http://www.rc-cross.com/page/FireForce.html and it had a link rear end. In 2008 it was redesigned, keeping the double wishbone front end but moving the springs outboard to cut down on the complexity, and the link rear end was ditched for a normal T-piece rear, details of it here http://www.rc-cross.com/page/english/FireForce2008.html. If you fancy using it, RCMart are selling the Fireforce for less than half price

As Robks pictures show, proper independent suspension was tried in 1/12th and 1/10th 20-30 years ago and abandoned as with all the extra complexity and weight didn't improve performance one bit.
A double wishbone suspension only has an advantage over a greater range of suspension travel than the sliding kingpin/single wishbone/fixed lower wishbone designs that are used currently. The latest Yokomo R12 uses a double wishbone front end which can fit any other 1/12th yet no one is swapping from the current Associated front end.

I have an HPI Super F1 and also have the HPI front end on a Yeah Racing Dark Chocolate conversion to match the extra rear end movement. In both cases due to the very inboard spring mounting, in both cases I have replaced the springs with two O-rings each side to limit the wheel movement and also damp the springing.

If you want to develop a double wishbone front end then I would recommend you try and have the spring mounting point as far out on the wishbone as you can, much like the Cross front end. Scaling from your drawing it looks like a 9:1 leverage ratio, which means the springs will need to be 9 times as stiff as normal springs, and over full travel the spring will be compressed by 0.5mm to 1mm only.

As for IRS car being the future of F1, well currently they are only race legal at UF1, most other places around the world lists a solid rear axle in the rules. I know in the UK the decision to allow IRS would have to be voted in by the BRCA members which is very unlikely to happen. It will also be interesting to see if IRS can run at the IIC, considering last year they ran spec tyres obviously chosen for pan car chassis rather than being suitable for the FGX.
Thanks for the read. Yes the drawing is not to scale, I have idea on how the springs can be mounted further outward by making a top brace. Again, for how i drive my car I think this would be a bit better idea than the kingpin suspension. I dont plan on entering any races with it (not that i could anyways considering the aero mods done to it, which btw have also worked wonders). I just want something fun to drive and to tinker with.
kb525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #3625
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
There's a simple answer if you want fully independent suspension, go run touring cars.
I just have a 4WD touring car and I enjoy it a lot . But as well as I can drive my TRF416X on bumpy and dusty asphalt tracks I would like to do the same with F1s.

And rubber tires in my opinion demand IRS. Yes, they are rubber for pancars F103/f104 but pancars with rubbers is not the same.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #3626
Tech Master

I am in the process of converting my FGX over to the Rabbit chassis with the F104 front end. I picked up the front end pieces a-la-carte. I did not get the inner pivot balls for the upper arms and no one seems to have them in stock. Looking through the 104 manual it says the are 5mm !! I have some 5mm pivot balls from associated but they are WAY too tight when popped in, are the Tamiya ones extremely tight or is there something I'm missing about the measurement of the Tamiya ones?

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #3627
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You need Tamiya 4.8mm ball studs.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #3628
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
You need Tamiya 4.8mm ball studs.
Thanks Rob

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #3629
Tech Regular

You can also use the Yokomo 4.8 mm ball studs adding some height with shims.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #3630
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well if you're not racing it then you can do as you please!
What aero mods have you done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb525 View Post
Thanks for the read. Yes the drawing is not to scale, I have idea on how the springs can be mounted further outward by making a top brace. Again, for how i drive my car I think this would be a bit better idea than the kingpin suspension. I dont plan on entering any races with it (not that i could anyways considering the aero mods done to it, which btw have also worked wonders). I just want something fun to drive and to tinker with.