Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2895Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

On the FGX thread there is a CAD drawing of the proposed IFS. Basically same set up as the rear. Looks Sharp.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
There is an problem with your idea that the HPI front end had as well...the springs are too close to the inner pivot points so you will have to run monster heavy springs to get it to work right which in turn will lead to a lot of other issues.

The HPI front end was pretty cool but had a few problems when using it with a F103...the first was it is wider than the F103 front end so the rear axle had to be spaced out a lot to get it to the same width using Tamiya F103 rims. The next problem was arm flex...because the springs were so stiff you tended to get more flex out of the arm than actual spring compression. I believe they later released a harder plastic for the arm to compensate but my set doesn't have that
This is what I found about the HPI front also. Its really only good for circuit with NO grip.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by texastc
On the FGX thread there is a CAD drawing of the proposed IFS. Basically same set up as the rear. Looks Sharp.
The FGX is not the first F1 car to have independent suspension,its not a new idea at all. And if you read the FGX thread there are many complaints about front broken suspension arms and hubs. And the FGX doesnt even have IFS yet. Put IFS parts in there and it will have even more parts to break.
Then you will also have to run really hard springs to the point where you are not even using the suspension,just the flex from the plastic suspension arms.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
The FGX is not the first F1 car to have independent suspension,its not a new idea at all. And if you read the FGX thread there are many complaints about front broken suspension arms and hubs. And the FGX doesnt even have IFS yet. Put IFS parts in there and it will have even more parts to break.
Then you will also have to run really hard springs to the point where you are not even using the suspension,just the flex from the plastic suspension arms.
Yes, I have an FGX, the front end breaks, all of it. Arms, kingpins, upperdeck, spindles. All replaced, more than once. The CAD drawings look cool. But I'm not really all that interested in it. I want a durable ( to a point) front end. The suspension in the front works fine as is, as long as it is in working order. IFS and IRS for that matter just make something simple more complicated. It looks good, and is really neat to have, it is just not really needed. Or much of an improvement.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by texastc
I want a durable ( to a point) front end. The suspension in the front works fine as is, as long as it is in working order. IFS and IRS for that matter just make something simple more complicated. It looks good, and is really neat to have, it is just not really needed. Or much of an improvement.

Interesting conclusion...and the reason why all this has been abandoned...

Old 01-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kb525
The spring issue was something id expectfrom this design. But i was mostly curious as to why these cars are run on such basic suspension, when touring cars run A arm front suspension. Yes they also run irs rear, but now with the irs f1 cars this seems like a good idea to follow.
Because they are designed to run on very smooth surfaces where a lot of suspension travel isn't really necessary. A very basic suspension is all you need. The benefits from a more complicated suspension is far outweighed by the increased weight that comes with it.

Sedans have such a complex suspension because they were derived from off road cars. They were originally released to be on road cars that looked very realistic and could be driven on even the roughest and dirtiest of pavement...pavement that would make a normal pan car undriveable. Today, those same touring cars are far more complex and run on tracks that are no different than what you can run a pan car on but because the class was established as needing a chassis with four wheel independant suspension and 4wd, that's what you have.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:04 AM
Tech Addict

Mod 12th puts in lap times Sedan could only dream about, IRS isn't everything.

better power to weight ratio and downforce will yield much more benefit than a heavy IRS system with a lossy drive chain eating up torque and top end like a sedan.

Don't let F1 become wallet racing like Sedan, K.I.S.S....
Old 01-02-2012, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Amen to that
The new 3Racing allready got IRS
Let F1 be as it was designed to be with a straight rear axle with diff and a simple front suspension
Look how the F201 from tamiya ended up.

regards Roy

Originally Posted by JamesHealey
Don't let F1 become wallet racing like Sedan, K.I.S.S....
Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 AM
Tech Regular

I think Independient Rear Suspension in F1 is a great advance, even more if you drive the car with rubber tires and dusty asphalt tracks. F201 problems were not only the drive system but bad heat motor dissipation and no place for electronics.

I love pancars also but we have to be open-minded for new technical advances.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rokosam
I think Independient Rear Suspension in F1 is a great advance, even more if you drive the car with rubber tires and dusty asphalt tracks. F201 problems were not only the drive system but bad heat motor dissipation and no place for electronics.

I love pancars also but we have to be open-minded for new technical advances.
Its does work better and it not a new idea or advancement.
forget the chassis, I want new bodies and wing sets. It the only thing you see when youdrive the car anyway.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It won't be a pancar if we let IRS into the class and as JamesHealey said, it will be as TC racing with big wallets and so on.
There should stay a class for the tighter wallets out there and to keep it simpler for every one.

Regards Roy
Old 01-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Robotech
Because they are designed to run on very smooth surfaces where a lot of suspension travel isn't really necessary. A very basic suspension is all you need. The benefits from a more complicated suspension is far outweighed by the increased weight that comes with it.

Sedans have such a complex suspension because they were derived from off road cars. They were originally released to be on road cars that looked very realistic and could be driven on even the roughest and dirtiest of pavement...pavement that would make a normal pan car undriveable. Today, those same touring cars are far more complex and run on tracks that are no different than what you can run a pan car on but because the class was established as needing a chassis with four wheel independant suspension and 4wd, that's what you have.
maybe there lies the problem. I drive my car in unprepped pavement which is not in any way shape or form good for this car. I feel like having a bit better suspension would help tons. And while yea i agree what drew me to f1 was partly that it was rather cheap at the end of the day not everyone buys RC to win races. I much prefer the tinkering and developing side of things and doing things noone else has done. I haave a nitro drift car, with a real exhaust pipe that can hang in with electrics. Why? The fun of the challenge. For my f1 ive also had the fun of the challenge in getting it to be as fast as i can possibly make it not in top speed but in cornering speed.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kb525
maybe there lies the problem. I drive my car in unprepped pavement which is not in any way shape or form good for this car. I feel like having a bit better suspension would help tons. And while yea i agree what drew me to f1 was partly that it was rather cheap at the end of the day not everyone buys RC to win races. I much prefer the tinkering and developing side of things and doing things noone else has done. I haave a nitro drift car, with a real exhaust pipe that can hang in with electrics. Why? The fun of the challenge. For my f1 ive also had the fun of the challenge in getting it to be as fast as i can possibly make it not in top speed but in cornering speed.
+1
Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
Its does work better and it not a new idea or advancement.
forget the chassis, I want new bodies and wing sets. It the only thing you see when youdrive the car anyway.

Ok, I see, You prefer to continue in The Flinstones Era.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Addict

Cool

Square wheels ftw!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.