Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2895Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Stop trying to take my money
I would do no such thing
Old 12-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robotech
Digging that FGX...

On a related topic but completely not in the same vien as this conversation...

I'm sitting here watching "The Santa Clause" with Tim Allen. There is a scene towards the middle of the movie where Tim Allen and the actor playing his son wake up on Christmas morning after having delivered toys for the first time the night before. Charlie, the name of his son, is being picked up by his mom and getting his things together.

One of the things he's picking up is a Tamiya F103L Indy Car in Newman Haas colors off the coffee table.

At one point you can see the silver can mabuchi motor and foam rear tires on it as he's walking towards the front door. I had that exact same car and was my second F1 (though technically the F103L had the longer wheelbase like a full size Indycar) and wish I still had it laying around somewhere. Just is funny I happen to see that tonight after reading all these F1 threads.

Does this body fit over an F104W?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Some shots of my FGX - F1paintlab.com decals.

Apologies in advance for the picture quality of my phone
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-m_dsc_0540.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-m_dsc_0538.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-m_m_dsc_0536.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-m_dsc_0533.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-m_dsc_0532.jpg  

Old 12-08-2011, 04:17 AM
Tech Regular

A couple more ...........

Eagerly awaiting the release of BP Shadow's tyre compound decals, since I have my Shimizu Soft ( Options ) marked as Super Soft , with the red colouring.
That way , I can mark a set of Mediums accordingly ( Giving me my Prime Tyre)

These decal kits are fantastic, it seems a shame to race this car now , but I did build it for that purpose !
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-m_dsc_0531.jpg   1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...-m_dsc_0530.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullRacing

A couple more ...........

Eagerly awaiting the release of BP Shadow's tyre compound decals, since I have my Shimizu Soft ( Options ) marked as Super Soft , with the red colouring.
That way , I can mark a set of Mediums accordingly ( Giving me my Prime Tyre)

These decal kits are fantastic, it seems a shame to race this car now , but I did build it for that purpose !
Where there any issues with fitment of the decals on the body?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

That 12 volt battery on the bench must make that thing haul the mail but is it ROAR legal and does it use bullet connectors?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
lets see if these work better
I needs me some tire stickers asap.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Lets try it again
My silver FGX with red driver's helmet really would like to meet up with these.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by texastc
You da man! Thanks. Come on down to Dallas, seems you know the place.
I came down and practiced there for week after work. I was there for some training in Richardson. Didn't get to race, but I met Andrew, Mike and Mike D.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Where there any issues with fitment of the decals on the body?
Not really, most of it worked quite well.

I couldn't get the large bulls as horizontal as I would have liked ( along the peak of the air intake ) , without losing some of their tails .

The wing end plates for example, I stuck the decal on square, then ran a razor blade along the perimeter , to notch out the vee section .

All in all, I'm reasonably happy with the result. I know I have made a few little errors and would do it slightly differently next time, but you don't have to look twice to see what car it is

Now i'm just waiting for our new indoor track to open - in the next week or so , it will be textured paint over concrete
Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
That 12 volt battery on the bench must make that thing haul the mail but is it ROAR legal and does it use bullet connectors?
Cuda,

I read that the FGX needed some weight up front, so this should keep the nose down !
A couple of alligator clips should sort out connection at the battery end, but it may be a bit expensive to post to ROAR for testing
Old 12-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Default kyosho F1s

I have two kyosho SR-5s, plus quite a bit hop-up parts. If anyone is interested, send me a pm.

Built first one in 94 and raced for 3 years until moved on to 1/12. Bought and built second one right before Kyosho discontinued the kit.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Tech Addict

Default Lotus 80 - 1979 - A collector story

Sorry folks, it’s going to be a long post, but I believe to be worth…

"The Lotus 80 will make the 79 look like an old London bus" – Mario Andretti
"The most wonderful car I ever built" – Colin Chapman.
Somehow Chapman was right, the Lotus 80 was definitely a superb looking car…

Here can be seen in Monaco 1979, Andretti driving.

The Lotus 80 was introduced to journalist in early 1979 springtime, in Brands Hatch, under the lovely U.K. climate (it was snowing).
The crowd was astonished by this wingless wing-car.

At that time I was 14 y.o. and I was really mad in love for this car, being a Lotus fan I was ready to celebrate another World Championship for Lotus.
Several reason put me in that direction: the Lotus 78 breeding the Lotus 79, thus the Lotus 80 should have been the most advanced ground effect car available at the moment.

Somehow it was…. Even too much for that time… Andretti will later reveal that the car was bouncing badly (porpoising…) due the vacuum sucking it down the road, then, when almost no air was available, the Venturi effect goes off and the car jump up… The rivets from aluminium chassis were jumping off due torsion and, finally, those long skirts were not able to cope with the ground correctly…

Somehow the whole concept was a bit too far, few year late, with carbon fiber and active suspension, probably would have work as Chapman desires…

It took to me more than 30 years to get my hands over a Lotus 80… Although an RC one…. Possibly even rarer than the 2 real car build…

A day, a year ago more or less, a fellow Rc collector and F1 fan, told me….
“There is a strange body on Yahoo Auction in Japan”
“Not sure… says 1/10 but it looks like a 1/12 body… Let’s take the risk, bet for me: 50 Euros and will see”.
I win it and cost me almost double to get here in Italy.

Much to my surprise, when I got it….It was really a 1/10 body.
Even better… there are dimples on the side to fix the body to the chassis…. The old Tamiya way!
For those younger… first Tamiya F1 chassis, were released in the second half of the 70, and they comes with 2 bodies. One plastic (mandatory for sanctioned racing) and a Lexan one for leisure purpose….

At this point, the usual dilemma: paint it or keeping transparent? When you made a body, you can “always” made it better…

And a second dilemma: made it to fir a F103 (thus being able to use it for few lap at the track….) or a correct historical chassis? Easy solution… I’ve several historical “static” chassis, plus a running one…. So I could be able to run the Lotus 80… (not yet brave enough…)

The real Lotus was never able to race properly wingless, it was always used in a mixture of wing. The body is a mixed version, w/o a real rear wing, but with the front ones.

I found some pictures, a similar configuration was used in tests at the Race of Champions in 1979: nose wings and low rear wing.

I had a friend (ABC Brianza, a modelmaker) making a set of “martini psychedelic decals” for the side pontoons, while the rest of the decals are authentic Tamiya Martini decals, originally made for the Lotus 79, Only the rear wing “Martini” is still a mock up.

I borrowed a driver from one of the 79 I have in my museum (so far the helmet is still provisory, a more correct Simpson Bandit is to come…. (FYI: my Bandit helmets are cast in resin, and if someone need them, just sent me a message… Maybe you want to have The Stig driving your car or older shelf queen waiting for the proper driver..)

So far... here it is.... A Tamiya Martini Lotus 80

I do not know if the body is “genuine” Tamiya, or an aftermarket product, made more than 30 years ago…

I just know that I’ve an RC Lotus 80, and I’m probably the one in the planet…

By the way, if someone has some more information…. Is more than welcome!

Now... the next holy grail will be a Lotus 88...
Old 12-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Giorgio
Does this body fit over an F104W?
No. The F103L (The L stood for "Long") chassis was 20mm longer than a standard F103. The bodies were not interchangeable. Width wise they were the same.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Lotus 79 looks better than the 80

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.