R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #3241
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
I personally could care less if F1 is slower than 1/12 or WGT or whatever. F1 is it's own unique class; and it's main appeal has always been and should continue to be, SCALE REALISM. It is not to be compared with any other class of car.

I would hate to see those who are obsessed with all-out performance hijack the F1 class and ruin it the way 1/10 touring has been ruined. We already have those who promote the "shaved to the rim" foam tires on an F1 car, as well as "cheater" cars like the current Corally F1 car, which is nothing more than a pan car with an F1 body on it. Maybe those who are obsessed with that sort of thing out to start their own class and leave mainstream F1 alone.

I know that I'm going to be "flamed" for my comments, but I feel very strongly about this. All too often, the "performance obsessed" have hijacked various on-road classes and have directly contributed to it's decline as on-road has become overly expensive and complex for the average rc racer; and as a result, many have defected to off-road racing. F1 is my all-time favorite form of racing, and I don't want to see that happen with it!
+1 The F103 out of the box with a silver can or a 21.5 was/is still one of the fastest rides out there. The 21.5 doesn't add any speed over the silver can, but increases reliability in my opinion. It was easily faster than my WGT or 17.5 blinky TC and uber responsive. I just forgot how much fun it was watch my own MP4/7 run around the track. My car easily made 4 or 5 grown men smile. I call that success.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #3242
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
Had our first F1 race locally and it was a blast. Only 3 cars though but there are several more people that are buying them after yesterday.

I do have a question as I need some gearing options. I do have several pinions that came with my F1 when I bought it used. But I'm not 100% sure if they are the Tamiya 04 mod or 64 pitch. Are they close enough that you can use them together?
Congrats on running them!
Old 11-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #3243
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm the one who raised this topic. I agree I'd like f1 to stay scale and not become overly expensive.

I was just wondering why 12th scale is so much quicker when it's essentially a pan car, which is what f1 cars are based on.

I like the idea of running silver can cause it's cheap!
But it would be nice to have 21.5 17.5 and mod races.

And possibly more developed wing sets to get more down force.
Wings are cheap enough!
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:11 AM   #3244
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
I'm the one who raised this topic. I agree I'd like f1 to stay scale and not become overly expensive.

I was just wondering why 12th scale is so much quicker when it's essentially a pan car, which is what f1 cars are based on.

Wings are cheap enough!
If you want better wings you have to run a low nose 90s type car,and that means a F103 or F104W,to keep it looking scale. F104 looks good,but people do love 90s F1 cars so they use the F103 as a base.

The Cross rear wing has the highest downforce,have you used one yet?
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #3245
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
!
This is because the entire body on a 12th scale acts as a wing pushing the car to the ground. Also being shorter and wider helps.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 AM   #3246
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:

Wings are cheap enough!
I thought it was a fair question.
We can all enjoy racing more than one type of vehicle right ?

F-103 on foam is a blast to drive, and in my opinion is the ultimate setup for F1 racing.
The F-104's on rubber tires look no more realistic than a properly setup F-103 on foam, and are substantially slower, odd to drive and such.
But that is by far the more popular class around here lately.

To each his own
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #3247
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
I thought it was a fair question.
We can all enjoy racing more than one type of vehicle right ?

F-103 on foam is a blast to drive, and in my opinion is the ultimate setup for F1 racing.
The F-104's on rubber tires look no more realistic than a properly setup F-103 on foam, and are substantially slower, odd to drive and such.
But that is by far the more popular class around here lately.

To each his own
Hey Fixxdude,
When I told you this weekend that the latest tires have transformed the F104/180mm cars from parade cars to race cars I wasn't kidding.

By the A main at Tamiya my car became a rocket and turned laps that I have only done in my 103 on foams.
I'm willing to bet that now with the rubber tire compounds available for the 104 that there may be no rubber still available for the 103 that will keep it faster than or maybe even as fast as the 104.
I'm sure the Rides we've got are not gonna do it.
I haven't tried any Pit Shimizus in 103 sizes tho.
Don't even know if the compounds are the same for 103 and 104.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #3248
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
Hey Fixxdude,
When I told you this weekend that the latest tires have transformed the F104/180mm cars from parade cars to race cars I wasn't kidding.

By the A main at Tamiya my car became a rocket and turned laps that I have only done in my 103 on foams.
I'm willing to bet that now with the rubber tire compounds available for the 104 that there may be no rubber still available for the 103 that will keep it faster than or maybe even as fast as the 104.
That's good to hear CUDA-Dude.
I'll check in every now and then to see how things are progressing in that class.
For now though,
12th scale fills my plate

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #3249
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
Hey Fixxdude,

Which is the rubber tire that you speak of?
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #3250
Tech Champion

Quote:
Which is the rubber tire that you speak of?
I could tell you but then I'd have to...

OK, the tires of choice are the Pit Shimizu 571 and 572 combo but don't tell anyone else.

Available at http://tqrcracing.com/shop/product_l...=0203&s_sort=5
Old 11-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #3251
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

2012 Carpet Nationals

Gonna post this here. The 2012 carpet nats are at my home track next March. Mikes Hobby Shop in Carrollton Texas. What will it take, who do we convince, and who is interested in having F1 as part of the Nats? We have a new F1 class here, theres about 11 cars now. Plus with the recent F1 rebirth thanks to the UF1 and the recent Vegas race, there seems to be enough interest that this might be a possibility. There are rules in the rulebook I'm told. But how can we get F1 back in the Nats? And do we even want to be part of the Nats?

Thoughts?
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #3252
Tech Fanatic

Cuda, from what I'm reading on the TQ Racing site, you are using the hard compounds on the rear and the soft on the front? Normally I would think that it would be the other way around. Are you racing on asphalt or carpet? I race on carpet myself.

I didn't know that the Pit tires mount to foam rims; how does that work?!
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #3253
Tech Master

Quote:
Cuda, from what I'm reading on the TQ Racing site, you are using the hard compounds on the rear and the soft on the front? Normally I would think that it would be the other way around. Are you racing on asphalt or carpet? I race on carpet myself.

They do mount to foam rims, but they mount to Ride rims a little better for my taste. Easier anyway. Foam rims a lot cheaper though.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC
Old 11-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #3254
Tech Champion

Quote:

Don't get confused by the labels, the "hard" rears are stickier than any other tire out there and hold up much better than their other "softs", you will be welcoming all the steering you'll get from the matching fronts. 571 and 572 will rock that 104 on both surfaces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastc View Post
They do mount to foam rims, but they mount to Ride rims a little better for my taste. Easier anyway. Foam rims a lot cheaper though.
Mounting the tires on the 104 foam rims is cake, just get em on the right way, the lip folds over the outside of the rim and the inside mounts flush with the rim.

If the Ride rims are the same crap quality as their 103 rims, I'd run from those also. One hit and they break like glass and the tire goes to shit.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #3255
Tech Master

I haven't had problems with the Ride 103 wheels. I have heard that they are fragile but so far I have been lucky. And I wish I didnt say that, I bet I bust them this weekend.
Think I'll try the hards next tire order for my mutant narrow 109. Maybe it will take over as my main F1 over the standard F109.
Kyosho Plazma F1
TC does RC